News Pavlich To Retire This Year

Remove this Banner Ad

"Inspirational former captain coaches Fremantle to their maiden premiership"

That's a front cover to remember!

Sunday Times probably would have:
"Plucky Eagles almost win AFL Grand Final - The 45 point loss to Fremantle was the closest they have come since 2006 - You remember that year that Eagles were Flying high"...

Hopefully it's leading to a future chair at the coaching table (I hope, I hope, I hope....)

He's certainly talking like a freo coach in the linked video - he keeps making reference to the future of the club and helping build it for 2017. He can't really do that if he's no longer there (Yeah - I know he's ruled out coaching in the short term... but still, a man can hope...)

Last edited:
Our greatest ever player. Clearly our greatest forward. But the enduring moment from Pav's career that I will remember until the day I die is that spoil in the back line in the final quarter of the qualifying final in Geelong 2013. Inspirational. Gutsy. Sheer will and determination. In fact, I get goosebumps now just thinking about it.

Our greatest ever player. Clearly our greatest forward. But the enduring moment from Pav's career that I will remember until the day I die is that spoil in the back line in the final quarter of the qualifying final in Geelong 2013. Inspirational. Gutsy. Sheer will and determination. In fact, I get goosebumps now just thinking about it.

That and the final goal of six to seal the win in the final...on one leg if you don't mind...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never even threatened to tear up at the footy, and I've been a supporter since inception and sat through a number of humiliations in our fist decade. Plus, I was there the day:
  • Fitzroy played their last game.
  • Barlow broke his leg (was directly in front of us basically)
  • We lost our first and only GF
  • Our only losing preliminary final
  • I could go on..
Good chance I will however on Saturday, or somewhere between 5:15 and 5:30 pm on Sunday August 28th.

Fyfe is a superstar and may go on to be higher in the overall footballing pantheon than Pav, but he will never be that player, that superstar, who sticks with a joke of club through thick and thin. That made leaving the house, or turning on the telly, for the game something more than purely an exercise in self flagellation for years on end. Fyfe can't do that, why? Because of Pav, that club doesn't exist anymore.

Thanks Pav.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back