News Pavlich To Retire This Year

Remove this Banner Ad

31vCP26.jpg

Nope. Read his book. The Great man was offered big bucks to leave a couple of times.

I would say commercially he is much better off having stayed a one team man, will get the keys to Freo and business opportunities galore.

Nope. Read his book. The Great man was offered big bucks to leave a couple of times.
I don't doubt he was offered big deals to leave. I would have thought though his deals to stay would not have been materially worse. Anyway good cue to buy the book, I had been intending to but hadn't got round to it.

The year Juddy left wc, Carlton offered Pav $400k more than Freo.
Over the life of the contract I could believe that. Since we were paying him nearly a mill I don't believe they, or anyone, would have been offering 1.2 to 1.4 million per year.
The gap between the valuation of top players is never that big on a level playing field. (I.E excluding the extra cap situation that enabled Abblett and Franklin to be landed)

Over the life of the contract I could believe that. Since we were paying him nearly a mill I don't believe they, or anyone, would have been offering 1.2 to 1.4 million per year.
The gap between the valuation of top players is never that big on a level playing field. (I.E excluding the extra cap situation that enabled Abblett and Franklin to be landed)

Maybe right but I doubt we were paying him close to a mil in 2007.
It was the figure Pav stated in his book. He also received a very large offer from Collingwood at a meeting in Malthouse's house after one of our games in Melb.

Maybe right but I doubt we were paying him close to a mil in 2007.
It was the figure Pav stated in his book. He also received a very large offer from Collingwood at a meeting in Malthouse's house after one of our games in Melb.
Well I will find out in about 4 days when it arrives. Also, define close to a mill? according to Wikipedia the contract signed in 2007 was for 2.5 Million over three years (obviously, not formally confirmed). That seems like it could be construed as close to million.

Well I will find out in about 4 days when it arrives. Also, define close to a mill? according to Wikipedia the contract signed in 2007 was for 2.5 Million over three years (obviously, not formally confirmed). That seems like it could be construed as close to million.

Yeah, that would be close to a mil. How would wiki know that information though ? ; it is never revealed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say commercially he is much better off having stayed a one team man, will get the keys to Freo and business opportunities galore.
Yeah agreed, there are a lot of players on the top tier who don't realise how advantageous that can be over money in the short term.

Pav will end up almost the same as what Ben Cousins could of been. He'll genuinely be the Prince of Perth and be able to get any cushy job he wants in the media and events etc.

Ben could of had more with Perth being the way it is, the media being the way they are & the success he achieved. Sad for those close to him I'm sure.

What a legend Pav has been for us. We love you Pav.

And in other news, water is wet :p

My heart seriously breaks every time I see this thread. Pav's first year was the same year I began following the club in earnest. I'm still in huge denial that this institution of footy won't be around next year.
Even if he doesn't go in to a coaching role next year I can see him still being around the club a fair bit. He might want to make use of that business degree first but I just can't imagine that amazing football brain sitting on the sidelines for too long - hopefully coaching > media (purely selfish reasons). I can't think of another player so unanimously respected by the AFL community, the sky is the limit with what he wants to do in the future. It's the end of Pav's playing career but not the end of his influence on football imo.

Reading that article plus the one from the West, makes me think Pav might yet be wrangled into a coaching role.

Christ I hope so... if Pav enters coaching too, he could end up being up there with Barassi, Sheeds (yes, and Cazaley) as an eternal icon of the game.

In the absense of a premiership, THATwould be a fitting legacy for the great man!!

Reading that article plus the one from the West, makes me think Pav might yet be wrangled into a coaching role.

Christ I hope so... if Pav enters coaching too, he could end up being up there with Barassi, Sheeds (yes, and Cazaley) as an eternal icon of the game.

In the absense of a premiership, THATwould be a fitting legacy for the great man!!
If he does get a coaching role, I'd prefer for him to eventually do a some work at an outside club for a while. Just to get another perspective on things. I'd imagine that it would be every Freo fan's dream to have Pav coaching us one day, but I'd hate for him to be put into the James Hird/Michael Voss basket of coaches who can't coach good. Obviously with a young family I couldn't see him moving interstate for a few years, but maybe after a few years as a development coach or WAFL assistant/senior coach he should spend a few years as a Senior Assistant elsewhere before coming back home to take over the mantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back