Payback (2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reigns would benefit enormously from having a better finisher. The spear and the superman punch are weak from a big dude. The powerbomb he did on Raw would be a much better regular finisher.

Did you see his match with AJ? They told a really good story and was well worthy of being a PPV main event. Doesn't that prove Reigns can wrestle?
It proves aj is one of the best wrestlers in the world. Even s**t wrestlers can be carried to great matches by superstars.

It proves aj is one of the best wrestlers in the world. Even s**t wrestlers can be carried to great matches by superstars.

That is such a cop out response and proves that there is nothing Roman could do to make you change your mind. What's the point of watching if you've already made your mind up that you're going to hate it?

The AJ vs Roman match was very good. The thing that I had an issue with is how Roman was able to kick out of so many finishers but then one spear and AJ is done.

Roman is good enough in the ring aside from the fact he has subpar stamina and his corner clothesline thing is ******* lame, it's the way his matches are booked that are the issue with them.

Same goes for the match at Fastlane. Takes a few chair shots, stands up and boom spear it's over.

The issue with Roman is every time someone turns around and says that was a good Roman match, its always some sort of bloody gimmick match!

He can be carried to a good match which includes weapons or interference or some other gimmick, put him in the ring and ask him to put on a 25 minute match with no gimmick and he stinks it up

Plus the fact he is booked to take all the punishment where his opponent is carrying the match and all he has to do is land his 2 moves and win and yet people want him to get credit for it?

The issue with Roman is every time someone turns around and says that was a good Roman match, its always some sort of bloody gimmick match!

He can be carried to a good match which includes weapons or interference or some other gimmick, put him in the ring and ask him to put on a 25 minute match with no gimmick and he stinks it up

Plus the fact he is booked to take all the punishment where his opponent is carrying the match and all he has to do is land his 2 moves and win and yet people want him to get credit for it?

Every Ric Flair match was the same, and he's considered one of the best of all time. The only thing that changed were the gimmicks and storylines. Roman tells really good stories in the ring, he doesn't do it with a big move set, but it's still entertaining.

His match with Bryan last year was a 25 minute no gimmick no over booking and it was great.

I reckon most of the big name stars of the past are ******* terrible tbh. In saying that, I don't watch wrestling for the wrestling. If you're entertaining on the mic though (y)

I reckon most of the big name stars of the past are ******* terrible tbh. In saying that, I don't watch wrestling for the wrestling. If you're entertaining on the mic though (y)
Agree with the first part. I think it was said somewhere by Stephanie that Hogan was a shithouse wrestler, but it was his persona that got him over.

That said, that was a different time and I tend to think now that if you can't do both (as a singles competitor), then you're gonna struggle.

People disliked Cena after a while because even though he is excellent on the mic, he was somewhat stale in ring. But he changed that and has delivered several high quality matches in his time.

That is such a cop out response and proves that there is nothing Roman could do to make you change your mind. What's the point of watching if you've already made your mind up that you're going to hate it?
Maybe if he stopped sleeping on the job, he might get a bit more respect. ;)
Hogan was not a s**t house wrestler. You don't get as over as he was as a face then heel if that's the case. Best work was probably in Japan.
Yep, agree with you there. He was trained by Hiro Matsuda, a very stiff wrestler who broke Hogan's leg on his first day of training and was impressed by the fact that Hogan came back to continue training once his leg healed. His work in Japan was very good, nothing like the typical Hogan match of the last decade or so. I've watched quite a bit of 1980s WWE wrestling and most of the wrestlers looked "limited" in what they could do or what they were booked to do, when compared to NWA or Jim Crockett Promotions. Hogan was never the most technical or gifted wrestler but was a great storyteller, especially in the early days of Hulkamania which started in AWA, not WWF like Vinnie Mac wants you to believe. The whole no-sell finishing aside, Hogan was actually a really good seller back in the day and I did enjoy his cowardly heel run in WCW, despite being part of the downfall for the company. I'd say he was a pretty shithouse bloke back in the day, especially with the whole politicking and creative control in the late 1990s but I wouldn't call him a shithouse wrestler, I guess you could call him overrated but depending on how you want to define a professional wrestler. Injuries and old age played their role in him becoming shithouse in the ring though and that also applies to the likes of Ric Flair (old age and being made of rubber) and Scott Steiner (injured and too much peak on top of his peaks).

Every Ric Flair match was the same, and he's considered one of the best of all time. The only thing that changed were the gimmicks and storylines.

There's a reason people were invested in Flair - he could talk them into buying a match. To compare him with Reigns is deluded.

Roman tells really good stories in the ring, he doesn't do it with a big move set, but it's still entertaining.

Nah. He's not as bad as people make out but he's been booked horribly, can't cut a great promo and has a typical power-move moveset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every Ric Flair match was the same, and he's considered one of the best of all time. The only thing that changed were the gimmicks and storylines.

But the difference was back in those days, you hardly saw him wrestle on tv and only in person if he came to your town. We see Roman wrestle every week.

Nah. He's not as bad as people make out but he's been booked horribly, can't cut a great promo and has a typical power-move moveset.

Apart from his finishers which are weak as s**t.

For a big, powerful dude he should be powerbombing as a finisher or something. A punch and a spear are weak for a guy his size to finish matches off.

For a big, powerful dude he should be powerbombing as a finisher or something. A punch and a spear are weak for a guy his size to finish matches off.
Yep. His sit out crucifix power bomb looked much more impressive against AJ.

I don't have a problem with the spear that's a good move for a big guy (look at Goldberg) but the Superman punch is cartoony rubbish.

I don't have a problem with the spear that's a good move for a big guy (look at Goldberg) but the Superman punch is cartoony rubbish.

I'd be happy enough for him to keep one or both of them as long as he gets a proper finisher that looks like it could actually get someone down for a 3 count

Yep. His sit out crucifix power bomb looked much more impressive against AJ.
Except for that shithouse hand thing and facial expression he did.

I try to like him but I just find him really irritating to watch. He also has the charisma of my little toe. The legends have an aura about them whenever they are seen (although for me personally, it has worn off with The Rock and Flair), it's just natural for them. I know Reigns isn't being fed much solid material, but even the top guys can work through the s**t material and make it good themselves.

Except for that shithouse hand thing and facial expression he did.

I try to like him but I just find him really irritating to watch. He also has the charisma of my little toe. The legends have an aura about them whenever they are seen (although for me personally, it has worn off with The Rock and Flair), it's just natural for them. I know Reigns isn't being fed much solid material, but even the top guys can work through the s**t material and make it good themselves.
Oh agree on that I was just commenting on suitable finishing and signature moves for him. He is very limited in general. However it has not helped that as an inexperienced limited singles wrestler the WWE have for two years now put him in situations that expose the s**t out of all his weaknesses. All they had to do was keep it simple with him.

The spear is not a finisher for a power wrestler like Reigns.

It would work for Ryback for the same reason it worked for Goldberg, but Reigns doesn't have the build to make it effective.

Just do some sort of Powerbomb and be done with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back