Paying back the 500 million dollars

Remove this Banner Ad

I am yet to see this discussed anywhere by anyone. The AFL has taken out a 500 million dollar loan, they have given the money out. That for me is the easy part. The next question becomes, who pays it back and how? Is it actually even possible?

Lets look at the AFL response to all this vs the NRL first and foremost

NRL adopted a quick approach of re negotiating current contracts. They got into a very very ugly war of words with Channel 9 and Fox Sports. The end result however is the NRL received a 7 year deal and a 115 million dollar line of credit that is directly related to that deal as of yesterday.

The AFL however have tied the 500 million dollar loan to absolutely nothing. Just plucked it out of thin air and prayed for the best. It feels like AFL and co are simply lining it up so the fans pay it back if you ask me, whereas in the case of the NRL they went above and beyond to ensure the credit was paid back with current contract arrangements

Are the fans really going to accept the increased ticket prices, increased games to pay this money back? How come unlike V'landy, Gil was too weak to approach the billion dollar businesses invested in it to ask for a direct line of credit?

To me the leadership by the AFL has been non existent and really showed a complete lack of compassion or empathy to anyone who doesnr wear a suit and earns 1 million+ a year. I hope you all have your wallets ready as me and you have a big ass loan that we need to pay back

Really hasn't aged well this one.

Who needs to borrow money when you get a handout through the disequalisation fund?

St Kilda get by far the most out of that and they tapped the AFL borrowing fund no?

I am yet to see this discussed anywhere by anyone. The AFL has taken out a 500 million dollar loan, they have given the money out. That for me is the easy part. The next question becomes, who pays it back and how? Is it actually even possible?

Lets look at the AFL response to all this vs the NRL first and foremost

NRL adopted a quick approach of re negotiating current contracts. They got into a very very ugly war of words with Channel 9 and Fox Sports. The end result however is the NRL received a 7 year deal and a 115 million dollar line of credit that is directly related to that deal as of yesterday.

The AFL however have tied the 500 million dollar loan to absolutely nothing. Just plucked it out of thin air and prayed for the best. It feels like AFL and co are simply lining it up so the fans pay it back if you ask me, whereas in the case of the NRL they went above and beyond to ensure the credit was paid back with current contract arrangements

Are the fans really going to accept the increased ticket prices, increased games to pay this money back? How come unlike V'landy, Gil was too weak to approach the billion dollar businesses invested in it to ask for a direct line of credit?

To me the leadership by the AFL has been non existent and really showed a complete lack of compassion or empathy to anyone who doesnr wear a suit and earns 1 million+ a year. I hope you all have your wallets ready as me and you have a big ass loan that we need to pay back
What ever loans are taken out they will have to be paid back that's life and applies to everybody.
The scary thing though i don't think clubs will be allowed full crowds when the season starts again causing more clubs getting loans and it just goes on.2021 won't be as tough as this year, but it will still be tough

What ever loans are taken out they will have to be paid back that's life and applies to everybody.
The scary thing though i don't think clubs will be allowed full crowds when the season starts again causing more clubs getting loans and it just goes on.2021 won't be as tough as this year, but it will still be tough

Pffft, the AFL is emerging from this in rude health.

-The Melbourne clubs, in aggregate, didn't even eat in to their balance sheets in a year that no games with crowds were played at all.
-The TV rights reduction was modest....13% compared to almost double for the NRL.
-the closest rival is falling further and further behind with Foxtel bending them over the barrel horrendously locking them in for most of the decade at a massive discount
-The reduction in football department cap and to a lesser extent salary cap reduces costs by up to $80M a year

The scary thing is for supporters of other codes who were hoping for the AFL to get taken down a peg. gutting for them

Pffft, the AFL is emerging from this in rude health.

-The Melbourne clubs, in aggregate, didn't even eat in to their balance sheets in a year that no games with crowds were played at all.
-The TV rights reduction was modest....13% compared to almost double for the NRL.
-the closest rival is falling further and further behind with Foxtel bending them over the barrel horrendously locking them in for most of the decade at a massive discount
-The reduction in football department cap and to a lesser extent salary cap reduces costs by up to $80M a year

The scary thing is for supporters of other codes who were hoping for the AFL to get taken down a peg. gutting for them

Thanks to jobkeeper, no jobkeeper, no profits. Its worked out well so far, the extent of the discounted memberships for 2021 will 'come out in the wash'.
Unlike you Noob, to need to pump up the AFLs tyres & talk down other codes.

Last edited:
Thanks to jobkeeper, no jobkeeper, no profits. Its worked out well so far, the extent of the discounted memberships for 2021 will 'come out in the wash'.
Unlike you Noob to need to pump up the AFLs tyres & talk down other codes.

Yes/no.

No jobkeeper, lots more people sacked, so less money going out as well.

Also, the clubs who got more from jobkeeper are the ones that have bigger outside interests (Richmond with Gyms, many clubs with Pokies, etc.) and the bigger those are, the more likely they'd be able to handle a loss.

Unlike you Kwality to ignore the concern trolling of a known rugby league troll but then take offence at someone who responds to him!

Anyway, here is an update, the AFL has now extended its deal with foxtel and telstra over 2023 and 24 and will (with the 7 extension) be bringing in a record $473M on average over those two years.

Last edited:
noobpie has a terrible fear of other football codes and that's why i have him on ignore now.
He's very insecure, hence his unfounded claims

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back