Paywalls and how to legally get around them:

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Want to post a link to a paywalled site - dont want to give the paywalled site clicks so they make money from advertising - especially if you plan on sharing? Ie murdoch / stokes

http://archive.is/

First search in the bottom bar by putting the url in and searching to see if someone has beaten you to it.

Second if there is no record paste the url in the top search bar - it will take a minute or two - then give you a url you can use to share - that gives them no clicks and gives you the article in whole so you can cut and paste.

Enjoy:

I thought Outline worked for that: https://outline.com/NegmsZ

It's just the first thing I saw on the Oz website. Something about Potato Head.
Yeah but they get clicks - i dont want the murdochracy getting clicks - clicks means ad revenue

I love the idea of him being trapped between wanting to make money but also wanting his propaganda out there.

When a lefty links one of his articles to pillory it - he gets revenue - this way you can link an article, not fall afoul of site admin by quoting all of it - and he gets no revenue

Yeah but they get clicks - i dont want the murdochracy getting clicks - clicks means ad revenue

I love the idea of him being trapped between wanting to make money but also wanting his propaganda out there.

When a lefty links one of his articles to pillory it - he gets revenue - this way you can link an article, not fall afoul of site admin by quoting all of it - and he gets no revenue

So they get revenue from someone clicking an Outline link? There are no ads on the Outline page, just the text of the article. Do they get anything from that?

So they get revenue from someone clicking an Outline link? There are no ads on the Outline page, just the text of the article. Do they get anything from that?
Im not certain - i know for a fact they get just the one click from the archive site as it only dl’s it once then stores it.

I would imagine the outline site beats the paywall but goes through the site each time to do so giving them traffic numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the Nine (nee Fairfax) newspaper sites once you used your monthly allocation you could just replace "theage" or "smh" in the address bar with "canberratimes" but they seem to have fixed that.
I just go and delete the smh and theage cookies

For the Nine (nee Fairfax) newspaper sites once you used your monthly allocation you could just replace "theage" or "smh" in the address bar with "canberratimes" but they seem to have fixed that.
I just go and delete the smh and theage cookies

For the Fairfax Nine newspapers you can use browser settings to ban them from making cookies. It allows you to browse them totally freely on a PC without the need to do anything further. On an Apple device just use a private browsing window for them and you shouldn't have an issue.

Media outlets which hide behind paywalls should be relegated to the 5th page of Google.
They should also be banned from sending newfeed links on mobiles.

If elected I will prevent the HS or Tele ever coming up in a google serch again.

Looks like the Murdochracy is no longer outlineable. Oh well, if they really don't want people to read their dribble then that's fine.

Looks like the Murdochracy is no longer outlineable. Oh well, if they really don't want people to read their dribble then that's fine.

If it helps, you can still use outline to read the Murdoch stuff if you cut and paste the URL into a URL shortener first (like bitly, others may work too). Then paste that shortened URL into outline and it should work ok. Seems to be working for me so far.

I follow the herald sun footy (and supercoach) twitter account and you generally can link to the stories from there, either straight from the twitter feed or by clicking on the tweet and then the link, if one doesn't work the other usually does. And if neither works I still haven't paid Rupert any money so win/win

If it helps, you can still use outline to read the Murdoch stuff if you cut and paste the URL into a URL shortener first (like bitly, others may work too). Then paste that shortened URL into outline and it should work ok. Seems to be working for me so far.
this works...Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back