PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
sataris rumours are fun, but we might have some idea on rtx 3000 pricing now. One of the rumour dudes on twitter who has been maybe 80% on the money so far has said the 3070ti/super will be on GA104-400, same amount of cudas as the 2080 Super and $500 US. That 104-400 is usually around where the x080 (1080, 2080 etc) goes. So the 3070ti/super is going to be around a 2080 Super in performance for the price of a 2070 Super. If that's true then we should be seeing roughly the same prices for 3000 as we see now for 2000 stuff. This might be because they are using Samsung 8nm.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone want to play a guessing game and speculate what the Zen 3 chipset will be called? If it's only a single generation and likely to not get a b*50 will it get a full generational name like x670? Or something more incremental like x590? I'm leaning towards x590 myself while they save the 600 range for Zen 4.

Was just looking around some recent Reddit threads and some dude posted a screen shot of a gigabyte motherboard BIOS after a recent update that says x570/x590. So I guess they might just launch a x590 to be Zen 3 compatible day one? Either that or they could just stick a letter on the end of the motherboard models to say they have an updated BIOS from factory.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
sataris rumours are fun, but we might have some idea on rtx 3000 pricing now. One of the rumour dudes on twitter who has been maybe 80% on the money so far has said the 3070ti/super will be on GA104-400, same amount of cudas as the 2080 Super and $500 US. That 104-400 is usually around where the x080 (1080, 2080 etc) goes. So the 3070ti/super is going to be around a 2080 Super in performance for the price of a 2070 Super. If that's true then we should be seeing roughly the same prices for 3000 as we see now for 2000 stuff. This might be because they are using Samsung 8nm.
Are they going to have HDMI 2.1 ports?

This is the best post in this thread.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Are they going to have HDMI 2.1 ports?

No one knows yet, but some early "leaks" of the higher end models say yes. I'd be very surprised if they don't have both HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.0 though now that the technology has made it to consumer products like TVs. Only reason IMO they might leave either off some lower models might be if there aren't many new monitors that support them.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This is the best post in this thread.

Mate, I've got nothing else to read PC wise. I've got all my stuff and just waiting for Zen 3 and Ampere, twiddling my thumbs and looking for any little breadcrumb I can find. It's probably 80% incorrect but it's all that's getting me through right now while I regularly restack all my nice new stuff just so I can have a look at it all while I wait.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Mate, I've got nothing else to read PC wise. I've got all my stuff and just waiting for Zen 3 and Ampere, twiddling my thumbs and looking for any little breadcrumb I can find. It's probably 80% incorrect but it's all that's getting me through right now while I regularly restack all my nice new stuff just so I can have a look at it all while I wait.
Have you at least tested the stuff you do have to make sure it isn't DOA?

I am stockpiling my rubles, so I can drop it on a 30xx asap.

Just need to see if it's going to be a 3080Ti or an RTX.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I am stockpiling my rubles, so I can drop it on a 30xx asap.

Just need to see if it's going to be a 3080Ti or an RTX.

I saved my money earlier in the year and have more than enough cash aside in preparation. The day I know they'll be available I'll be hitting the refresh button on every local store furiously waiting for the buy now haha. Actually hoping some will take preorders. They don't always but have done it for a few products. I'm committed to a 3080ti now that we know (well pretty sure) that it's the GA102-300. I think we'll be alright as long as we're quick because while a lot of people say that's what they want, in reality I think they'll baulk at the $2k-2.5k AUD price tag once they see it. The 3070ti/super I think will be the popular one if it really is the GA104-400.

I saved my money earlier in the year and have more than enough cash aside in preparation. The day I know they'll be available I'll be hitting the refresh button on every local store furiously waiting for the buy now haha. Actually hoping some will take preorders. They don't always but have done it for a few products. I'm committed to a 3080ti now that we know (well pretty sure) that it's the GA102-300. I think we'll be alright as long as we're quick because while a lot of people say that's what they want, in reality I think they'll baulk at the $2k-2.5k AUD price tag once they see it. The 3070ti/super I think will be the popular one if it really is the GA104-400.

Just hoping that GN will be able to review the cards before they release.

I've had an EVGA card for as long as I can remember but that was just because of the price.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Embargoes almost never lift before release day though, so if you're planning on buying on day 1 they won't help you.

And as for comparing various models of any given card as GN and HUB sometimes do, that seems to get released later too

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

I've had an EVGA card for as long as I can remember but that was just because of the price.

Can you remember when the review embargos lifted on Turing? I think it was a week or two before launch because I remember being pretty disappointed in the 2080ti vs 1080ti and then not being as excited for launch day.

Edit: just looked up Youtube channel reviews vs release date and it looks like embargo lifted the day before.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I was going to get a new card this year but I’m thinking I’ll grab a PS5 instead, in addition to my PC and Switch I shouldn’t miss out on too much.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind an upgrade that better utilises my 2K monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Expected a better house, horrible curtains :tongueout:

Knew he was a computer dude, cool he enjoys building instead of throwing cash to buy a complete one.
I'm sure he didn't skimp on components lol

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The video isn't worth watching but LG only put it up yesterday so hopefully that means info about a release is imminent. I was originally planning on getting the Asus XG27UQ as my second monitor/monitor for games that don't support ultrawide, but that has been out of stock since about March and has been pushed back to at least next month. I'm just going to wait for this LG 27GN950 to get released instead.

The video isn't worth watching but LG only put it up yesterday so hopefully that means info about a release is imminent. I was originally planning on getting the Asus XG27UQ as my second monitor/monitor for games that don't support ultrawide, but that has been out of stock since about March and has been pushed back to at least next month. I'm just going to wait for this LG 27GN950 to get released instead.

Why give me buyers regret for the 27GL850 ?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Not a bad watch and interesting point regarding why so many consumers might be choosing AMD over Intel - the synthetic benchmarks shouldn't matter, but people are just bored and want to play with new tech. I mostly play games so on paper the Intel 10900k suits my use case more (though I'm getting more "serious" about indie game development as I'm getting better at it so I could start to benefit from a Ryzen CPU), but since moving to 3440x1440 ultrawide and getting a 4k as a second monitor/for stuff that doesn't like 21:9 I'm GPU bound most of the time so it doesn't matter what CPU I get. Then the final deciding factor for me to switch to Zen 3 once it is out came down to the motherboards and chipsets. It was summed up perfectly at the end of this video and Linus mentioned it recently too. Not that it would entirely apply to me if I were to get a z490 motherboard (which is what I'd get anyway) regarding things like limiting memory overclocking, but I feel like I would be robbed of features such as the pcie 4.0 slots for my NVMe drives on the Intel platform right now.

Back