PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to spam but don't want to spend heaps on a machine that is no good! this build is $700 from MSY computers in Perth who I have heard are good. They have another build for $900 whcih is similar apart from the graphics card (GTX1060). from what ive read the RX570 looks like it compares well with with the 1060 anyway.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3-2300X

Motherboard:ASUS PRIME A320M-K Motherboard

Memory: Crucial 8G DDR4 2400

Graphic Card: ASUS Radeon ROG RX 570 STRIX 4GB OC VGA Card

SSD: SanDisk 120G SSD SATA3 SSD

Hard Disk: Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 1TB SATA III Hard Disk Drive

Case: ARMAGGEDDON Vulcan V1x Mid Tower Gaming Case

Power Supply: thermaltake BX1 550Watt

The GTX1060 option has a bigger SSD, 580 option still has the same as the 570

CPU:Intel Core i5-8400 2.80GHz

Motherboard:ASUS PRIME H310M-K Motherboard

MemoryGeIL EVO Pristine 8G DDR4 2400

Graphic CardASUS Nvidia 6GB GTX 1060 Dual VGA Card

SSD:Kingston A400 240G SSD SATA3 SSD

Hard DiskSeagate 3.5" BarraCuda 1TB SATA III Hard Disk Drive

Case:Thermaltake Versa H22 with 500W PSU

The comparable build from PLE is

CPU: AMD 3.2GHz Ryzen CPU

Memory: 8GB GeIL Memory

Motherboard: ASUS A320 Motherboard

OS Drive: WD 240GB SSD OS Drive

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX1050 2GB Graphics

Case: Deepcool Case

$855

Stuff the PLE one with the 1050. Most games these days will eat 2gb of video memory for breakfast. At least with a 240gb SSD + 1tb HDD you can chuck a game or two with the OS onto the SSD for great loading speeds, then have the HDD for everything else that it doesn't matter so much on. Imo should be looking at something with a gtx 1060 6gb or Radeon 580 8gb minimum. Looking at the builds in that price range on PLE, PCCG and Scorptec (last two are Victorian but just using them for reference) they have some that have the 1050ti which is a 4gb model for only a little more than the 1050 2gb varieties. Only a little more again include a 1060 6gb but no storage HDD to go with the SSD. 1tb HDDs are only like $60-70 anyway and can be added later.

All comes down to budget. My philosophy has always been if I spend $X will I be happy. It might save me a few dollars but if I'm already spending $X then is it worth saving a little more to get something I won't regret later. Everyone is different though.

Stuff the PLE one with the 1050. Most games these days will eat 2gb of video memory for breakfast. At least with a 240gb SSD + 1tb HDD you can chuck a game or two with the OS onto the SSD for great loading speeds, then have the HDD for everything else that it doesn't matter so much on. Imo should be looking at something with a gtx 1060 6gb or Radeon 580 8gb minimum. Looking at the builds in that price range on PLE, PCCG and Scorptec (last two are Victorian but just using them for reference) they have some that have the 1050ti which is a 4gb model for only a little more than the 1050 2gb varieties. Only a little more again include a 1060 6gb but no storage HDD to go with the SSD. 1tb HDDs are only like $60-70 anyway and can be added later.

All comes down to budget. My philosophy has always been if I spend $X will I be happy. It might save me a few dollars but if I'm already spending $X then is it worth saving a little more to get something I won't regret later. Everyone is different though.
Thanks for the advice, the 1060 looks like decent value at $969 then.

Does the $900 option have a bigger SSD? Once you load an OS onto a 120gb there won't be much room left for a game or two to reap the benefits of an SSD.

Anyone know if MSY are compliant with consumer law these days? They're cheap because they don't honour warranty.

If you're on a budget then running games off mechanical drives isn't too bad, especially ones of the vintage they're looking at. You can always add another SSD later.

It probably depends on the store, but I've had no issues with warranties through MSY.

If you're on a budget then running games off mechanical drives isn't too bad, especially ones of the vintage they're looking at. You can always add another SSD later.

It probably depends on the store, but I've had no issues with warranties through MSY.

Good point on the SSD. They've really come down in price across the board. Samsung EVO 860 have halved in price in the last 2 years. Just looking here, the 1TB is only $209. The 2x 500gb EVOs I put in mine were $229 at the time.

Most stores here are happy to price match the big boys (Scorptec and PCCG) but they refuse to match MSY and it was only 2017 they were fined $750k again for being dodgy with warranties. Might only be a few stores or they may have improved but I just avoid on reputation.

Sorry to spam but don't want to spend heaps on a machine that is no good! this build is $700 from MSY computers in Perth who I have heard are good. They have another build for $900 whcih is similar apart from the graphics card (GTX1060). from what ive read the RX570 looks like it compares well with with the 1060 anyway.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3-2300X

Motherboard:ASUS PRIME A320M-K Motherboard

Memory: Crucial 8G DDR4 2400

Graphic Card: ASUS Radeon ROG RX 570 STRIX 4GB OC VGA Card

SSD: SanDisk 120G SSD SATA3 SSD

Hard Disk: Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 1TB SATA III Hard Disk Drive

Case: ARMAGGEDDON Vulcan V1x Mid Tower Gaming Case

Power Supply: thermaltake BX1 550Watt

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/455316

Have a squiz at this. Drawback is uncertainty over what brand the parts will be, and delivery time. But very cheap for why you get.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/455316

Have a squiz at this. Drawback is uncertainty over what brand the parts will be, and delivery time. But very cheap for why you get.
I saw that last night, I thought it was dodgy they were advertising with the 1660 graphics card but then saying it ships with what is available at the time, unless I've miss understood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers, maybe better off spending a couple hundred extra and getting a PLE build.
Try to get a Ryzen system but avoid an A320 motherboard. Spend a little extra to get a B350 which will support the incoming 3000 series could if you have the need for an upgrade anytime in the next 3-5 years..

Looks like AMD/TSMC might be hitting some yield issues, Threadripper appears to have suddenly dropped off the roadmap

https://www.techspot.com/news/79946-amd-quietly-removes-third-gen-threadripper-2019-roadmap.html
If yield is the issue that would impact the release date and ongoing supply of Ryzen 3000 series as it's the same chip.
Not to mention the ongoing sales and usage of the exact same Zen 2 chiplet in Epyc Rome cpus....

It could be that Rome is seeing more demand in the data centre than expected.
It could also be a marketing decision to give the mainstream desktop launch several months of clear airways to have a run at the market before releasing the HEDT Threadripper line.
Or maybe the announcement of the $600 million AMD Cray Frontier exascale supercomputer has something to do with gobbling up all the Zen 2 chiplets...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...er-amd-cray-doe-oak-ridge-national-laboratory

If yield is the issue that would impact the release date and ongoing supply of Ryzen 3000 series as it's the same chip.
Not to mention the ongoing sales and usage of the exact same Zen 2 chiplet in Epyc Rome cpus....

It could be that Rome is seeing more demand in the data centre than expected.
It could also be a marketing decision to give the mainstream desktop launch several months of clear airways to have a run at the market before releasing the HEDT Threadripper line.
Or maybe the announcement of the $600 million AMD Cray Frontier exascale supercomputer has something to do with gobbling up all the Zen 2 chiplets...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...er-amd-cray-doe-oak-ridge-national-laboratory
Or they're not getting enough Rome/Threadripper "rated" chips out of their current manufacturing process

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Or they're not getting enough Rome/Threadripper "rated" chips out of their current manufacturing process

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
Maybe.

But Zen 2 chiplets are under 80mm2 whilst the Vega 20 die is 331mm2 on the exact same 7nm TSMC process node. They are a quarter of the size meaning the yield will be better.
Defect density and defect rate would be near identical, yet there is no supply or yield issue on Radeon Instinct cards.
In fact Radeon VII has a supply issue because it's Vega 20 is yielding so well (80% I heard around the traps) that they are not down binning enough GPU dies to satisfy VII demand.

I doubt yield is an issue in Zen 2, whether it's for use in Ryzen 3000, next gen Threadripper or Epyc Rome.

Thanks for all the advice, I've been doing some research but is pretty overwhelming to be honest haha! I think I'm gonna wait a bit longer and save some extra cash and get a mid level build. Hopefully some good deals around EOFY

Thanks for all the advice, I've been doing some research but is pretty overwhelming to be honest haha! I think I'm gonna wait a bit longer and save some extra cash and get a mid level build. Hopefully some good deals around EOFY

The snowball begins with a "budget build". Then it's "I'll save a little bit more to get something I'm happy with" right before "stuff it, I'm already spending money. how much further can I go". :D Ryz

The snowball begins with a "budget build". Then it's "I'll save a little bit more to get something I'm happy with" right before "stuff it, I'm already spending money. how much further can I go". :D Ryz
Haha I can see it is a slippery slope! I need to leave room for a monitor aswell, I have an eb voucher I can use to get a keyboard and mouse at least.

So after I sell my golf gear and whatever I can get for my PS4 I'll have around $1000. This build from PLE looks ok for $1200

CPU

AMD 3.5GHz Ryzen CPU

Memory

8GB GeIL Memory

Motherboard

Gigabyte A320 Motherboard

OS Drive

Kingston 240GB SSD OS Drive

Graphics Card

eVGA GTX1060 6GB Graphics

Case

Deepcool Case

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

So after I sell my golf gear and whatever I can get for my PS4 I'll have around $1000. This build from PLE looks ok for $1200

CPU

AMD 3.5GHz Ryzen CPU

Memory

8GB GeIL Memory

Motherboard

Gigabyte A320 Motherboard

OS Drive

Kingston 240GB SSD OS Drive

Graphics Card

eVGA GTX1060 6GB Graphics

Case

Deepcool Case

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Home
PCCG has a few AMD bundles right now...
https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/396/gigabyte-b450-2700-rx-580-amd50-bundle
Better B450 Mobo
Better cpu, Ryzen 2700 8 core 16 thread.
Better Graphics card with more vram.
2 free games
$699

Or this one https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/393/msi-b450-2600-rx-580-amd50-bundle
Same as above but 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 2600 cpu.

Just add:
Case $80.
Power supply $125 Silverstone strider 650w fully modular.
500gb / 1tb SSD $80 - $250 depending
8gb DDR4 Ram $100
Win 10 64bit pro off eBay for $20.

Same money as your prebuilt but will be substantially better.

PCCG has a few AMD bundles right now...
https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/396/gigabyte-b450-2700-rx-580-amd50-bundle
Better B450 Mobo
Better cpu, Ryzen 2700 8 core 16 thread.
Better Graphics card with more vram.
2 free games
$699

Or this one https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/393/msi-b450-2600-rx-580-amd50-bundle
Same as above but 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 2600 cpu.

Just add:
Case $80.
Power supply $125 Silverstone strider 650w fully modular.
500gb / 1tb SSD $80 - $250 depending
8gb DDR4 Ram $100
Win 10 64bit pro off eBay for $20.

Same money as your prebuilt but will be substantially better.
I have watched some videos that scared me off doing a build! I keep hearing it isnt hard but i dont want to spend $1000 and i brick it haha.

but it is substantially cheaper, all this comes to just under $1000 Screenshot_20190511-070541_Chrome.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back