PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Verge had a pretty easy video to follow.
Hehehehehheehhehehehehheheh

In all seriousness it's easy. Stuff is like Lego and only clips in one way. Maybe just watch a couple videos as CPU installation could be the only thing to give you any grief (...:(). Doing it yourself is substantially cheaper, and if you wanted to keep the same budget you could always step up to some real firepower and chuck in a 1660ti.

Yeah I really should just do it!
Do it man.
It's almost impossible to fry your parts these days with all the safety breakers built in.
If you're that worried meet me at a Maccas with a 6 pack and I'll clip it all together in 30 min!

Money saved is some extra or better peripherals. A gaming mouse and a headset perhaps..

Plus the AMD bundle comes with 2 quality games that probably add over $120 of value.

Do it man.
It's almost impossible to fry your parts these days with all the safety breakers built in.
If you're that worried meet me at a Maccas with a 6 pack and I'll clip it all together in 30 min!

Money saved is some extra or better peripherals. A gaming mouse and a headset perhaps..

Plus the AMD bundle comes with 2 quality games that probably add over $120 of value.
Yeah I'm sold, the money I save I'll dump into a better graphics card. I'll probably grab one of those bundles from PC case gear then see who is cheaper between PLE and MSY for the other stuff I can get locally.

The latest AMD rumours:
Ryzen 3000 series Matisse 16 core 32 thread cpu engineering sample spotted in benchmarking database confirming it's existence.
Ryzen Matisse 12 core 24 thread CPUs have been getting around the Mobo manufacturers testing labs. "Will turbo to 5.0ghz" is the feedback there.

Zen 3 chiplets are now actively being worked on by AMD cpu engineers with the big addition being 4 way SMT. This would mean a 16 core cpu will have 64 threads to really help accelerate instruction queuing. This rumour is strengthened by the discovers of the patent lodged in 2012 by AMD withing 3 months of the commencement of Jim Keller's employment at AMD.

As someone who was eternally scared of doing a build, i got mine done without much fuss. Plenty of stuff on YouTube (have to thank dwwaino for a few words along the way too)

It's actually a lot of fun, and once you're done you'll get the itch to build again too.

Good luck hornetswce :)

It's actually a lot of fun, and once you're done you'll get the itch to build again too.

Once it's all together, posts, and you're up and running it's actually a little bit sad haha. The build up, all that time researching and flicking through parts pages is over. For what feels like only a few months ago I built my current one October 2017, so I'm already starting to put some pennies aside here and there and waiting for the next round of CPUs and GPUs to come out, probably next year, to this time build a 4K beast :cool:. Just need to stealthily squeeze in some new guitar amp gear first as my current setup is getting too cumbersome for band practice, and like you said, it's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission haha.

As someone who was eternally scared of doing a build, i got mine done without much fuss. Plenty of stuff on YouTube (have to thank dwwaino for a few words along the way too)

Good luck hornetswce :)
Haha thank you, I hopefully visit PLE today and grab some parts to get me started!

I'll be sure to post updates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So did a bit more research today and put together a couple of builds around the same price, only difference is the CPU bundle I used from either PLE or PC Case Gear.

The PLE has more ram but comes with the Ryzen 5 CPU rather than the 7. The both have the same motherboard.

Would love to get some thoughts before I start buying stuff on the weekend. pc case.jpeg PLE.jpeg

So did a bit more research today and put together a couple of builds around the same price, only difference is the CPU bundle I used from either PLE or PC Case Gear.

The PLE has more ram but comes with the Ryzen 5 CPU rather than the 7. The both have the same motherboard.

Would love to get some thoughts before I start buying stuff on the weekend.View attachment 673108View attachment 673109

Goldy is more familar with the AMD stuff so he will be able to tell you for sure, but as far I know there is little difference between the 2600 and 2700. 2600 is more than fine. At least with a B450 board if you find the 2600 is holding you back you'll be able to upgrade to a Zen 3 in the future. 8gb RAM isn't the sweet spot for gaming anymore either imo, even at 1080p. Some games really love to memory whore these days so at least with 16gb you'll have so much extra head room that you won't have to worry about shutting down things like Chrome or other applications if you find a game is RAM hungry.

Keep some extra pennies for more storage too. I don't know why they're bundling these 'gaming' rigs with so little storage? 250gb after an OS install is like 3 games.

Would I need to grab any additional fans?

If I'm looking at the right case it looks like that one comes with 4 installed, 3 at the front and 1 at the back. That's plenty, pretty generous to come with that many actually.

Are you putting it together yourself? I just checked the Aorus B450 M mobo specs and it only has 2 system fan headers. Luckily the specs of the case say it ships with a 3 fan splitter so you'll be all good there.

If I'm looking at the right case it looks like that one comes with 4 installed, 3 at the front and 1 at the back. That's plenty, pretty generous to come with that many actually.

Are you putting it together yourself? I just checked the Aorus B450 M mobo specs and it only has 2 system fan headers. Luckily the specs of the case say it ships with a 3 fan splitter so you'll be all good there.
Yeah putting it together myself

Goldy is more familar with the AMD stuff so he will be able to tell you for sure, but as far I know there is little difference between the 2600 and 2700. 2600 is more than fine. At least with a B450 board if you find the 2600 is holding you back you'll be able to upgrade to a Zen 3 in the future. 8gb RAM isn't the sweet spot for gaming anymore either imo, even at 1080p. Some games really love to memory whore these days so at least with 16gb you'll have so much extra head room that you won't have to worry about shutting down things like Chrome or other applications if you find a game is RAM hungry.

Keep some extra pennies for more storage too. I don't know why they're bundling these 'gaming' rigs with so little storage? 250gb after an OS install is like 3 games.
I was thinking I should go with a 500 gb SSD straight up, it's not that much more expensive.

I was thinking I should go with a 500 gb SSD straight up, it's not that much more expensive.

Much better idea. When I first built my current system it was with a 500gb SSD and that still filled up pretty fast. 250gb would have been excruciating. Since then as the prices have dropped I have added a second 500gb and a 1TB nvme m.2. Surely it's not long now until HDDs are completely phased out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back