PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a straw poll on what sort of switches everyone prefers on their mechanical keyboards, linear or tactile?

My first mechanical keyboard was a Razer Blackwidow with Razer Greens which are similar to Cherry MX Blue. It felt great but it didn't take long to dislike the clicky noise. I thought this may have been a tactile switch thing so when I moved to a Corsair K70 Lux a couple years ago I got Cherry MX Reds due to being linear, they seemed the most popular online and I couldn't really notice much difference with the demos in store. After a few months of constant mistyping and constantly pressing the wrong key by accident in games I realised linear switches weren't for me but I just got used to it as I wasn't going to waste money on another keyboard just for different switches, especially within a year of purchasing it. I had also assumed all tactile switches were clicky and loud so I just sucked it up with the linear Reds. This weekend there were massive sales just about everywhere on everything, but big price drops on the Corsair K95 Platinum which came in with a Cherry MX Brown option so it was finally time to make a move. Glad I did, only 24 hours on and the difference is huge. I often dismissed MX Browns as they seemed to be the least popular in the modern trend of fast linear "gaming" switches. The "bump" in the switch is hardly noticable and the pressure and actuation doesn't really feel any different from the MX Reds, but I'm finding my typing is far more accurate and I'm accidentally hitting the wrong key in games as much. Sound wise the Browns are probably quieter than the Reds too.

I guess picking the right switches for your personal preference takes more than a store demo and internet opinions and reviews. Probably takes at least a year to learn if something is for you or not. With the huge choice of switches there are these days it would be interesting to know what everyone prefers.

I've got a Kogan Mechanical with Brown (not Cherry) switches, I'm not sure what my old Razer Blackwidow Stealth keyboard had, but I prefer these Browns

EKpWxWnXkAgLUE6

What an absolute bath AMD is giving Intel right now :oops:

Running a 3600 right now, the 3950X remains elusive and difficult to capture...

* me AMD, I'm trying to give you money.

Downloaded shadow or Mordor through game pass, not bad so far after about an hour is so in. Is this the one that was riddled with micro transactions? Feel like a mobile with all the customisation and purchasable upgrades etc.

Reminds me of how good the lord of the rings games were on PS2, I dumped hours into return of the king!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Downloaded shadow or Mordor through game pass, not bad so far after about an hour is so in. Is this the one that was riddled with micro transactions? Feel like a mobile with all the customisation and purchasable upgrades etc.

Reminds me of how good the lord of the rings games were on PS2, I dumped hours into return of the king!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it was more the second one, Shadow of War. It's been a while but I think Shadow of Mordor had its fair share but they were mostly cosmetic and maybe some upgrade materials or something. Shadow of War actually had paid time savers I'm pretty sure. I never finished that one so I can't remember. Others enjoyed the games but they never really resonated with me.

Dominating and with no end in sight...
Zen 3 apparently complete and on schedule with sampling ready to be taped out on 7nm+.

I saw something recently too with their road map and apparently even the Zen 4 design is just about done. Sounds like Zen 3 will be about mid year so I've already started putting pocket money away. Exciting!

I saw something recently too with their road map and apparently even the Zen 4 design is just about done. Sounds like Zen 3 will be about mid year so I've already started putting pocket money away. Exciting!
Just heard that Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) is expecting a +17% IPC increase on Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000)

Just heard that Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) is expecting a +17% IPC increase on Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000)

That's exactly what I heard or read on the road map thingy. I can't remember where I saw it? Might have been on a HUB or GN video, or possibly even a WCC article I was reading a couple weeks ago.

Zen 3 is actually built from the ground up which apparently will see a bigger jump than we did to Zen 2, as Zen 2 was still built upon the original Zen architecture.

It looks like by mid 2020 Zen 3 and Ampere will be available. Using current naming conventions I'm looking at a 4900x (or 4950x depending on how later it comes out) and 3080ti combo. Still debating with myself if I want to go ultra wide or 4k next. Surely we'll be at the 4k high/ultra 60+fps stage, but ultra wide 1440 will be less taxing and higher frames. Hnnnnnggggg

Bought a Cooler Master AIO during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales and tried installing it during the week.

Holy s**t are there a lot of cables involved with this thing. 2 cables from the pump, 2 from each fan, an RGB splitter, a fan splitter a controller and a bunch more cables I'm not sure what they even do.

To make matters worse, as I have an ITX mobo it doesn't have a PWM header for a pump, so I now need to go an buy another fan splitter to get this thing to work

Bought a Cooler Master AIO during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales and tried installing it during the week.

Holy s**t are there a lot of cables involved with this thing. 2 cables from the pump, 2 from each fan, an RGB splitter, a fan splitter a controller and a bunch more cables I'm not sure what they even do.

To make matters worse, as I have an ITX mobo it doesn't have a PWM header for a pump, so I now need to go an buy another fan splitter to get this thing to work

Sounds similar to my h100i Pro after I swapped in RGB fans. Does the pump have fan connectors? If it does you can just chuck the pump onto your CPU header and turn off any QFan settings or whatever so the pump can get it's full 12v and run at full speed 24/7. The others are probably a USB and SATA power unless the controller handles them.

That's exactly what I heard or read on the road map thingy. I can't remember where I saw it? Might have been on a HUB or GN video, or possibly even a WCC article I was reading a couple weeks ago.

Zen 3 is actually built from the ground up which apparently will see a bigger jump than we did to Zen 2, as Zen 2 was still built upon the original Zen architecture.

It looks like by mid 2020 Zen 3 and Ampere will be available. Using current naming conventions I'm looking at a 4900x (or 4950x depending on how later it comes out) and 3080ti combo. Still debating with myself if I want to go ultra wide or 4k next. Surely we'll be at the 4k high/ultra 60+fps stage, but ultra wide 1440 will be less taxing and higher frames. Hnnnnnggggg
As hardware capability increase, so too will the in game demand on said hardware. HUB were talking about this in a very recent Q&A
I'd lean towards ultrawide 144hz before 4k. 20% less demand on performance and an actual different experience to 16:9 aspect ratio...

As hardware capability increase, so too will the in game demand on said hardware. HUB were talking about this in a very recent Q&A
I'd lean towards ultrawide 144hz before 4k. 20% less demand on performance and an actual different experience to 16:9 aspect ratio...

That video is what is leaning me towards ultra wide 144 again. My only reservation is support for 24:9 but surely that should improve as just about AAA title now supports it and it's getting more common. A lot of the new ultra wide panels now are also aren't IPS. I assume that's because of HDR though. Still another generation of monitors to go anyway by then.

Sounds similar to my h100i Pro after I swapped in RGB fans. Does the pump have fan connectors? If it does you can just chuck the pump onto your CPU header and turn off any QFan settings or whatever so the pump can get it's full 12v and run at full speed 24/7. The others are probably a USB and SATA power unless the controller handles them.
Yeah the pump has a PWM connector, so the plan is to connect the pump to the CPU fan header on the mobo and then use the included fan splitter, a PWM fan hub (that I just went to MSY to buy), the included fan/rgb hub that came with the cooler (that also has SATA power) and the fan/rgb hub for my case fans and run them all off the system fan header.

My cable management was pretty poor before thanks to the weird shape of the Corsair Crystal 280X and the sleeved PSU extensions, but its going to be atrocious once I get this new spaghetti of wiring plugged in.

My mobo only has the 2 PWM fan headers (but has 2 RGB headers for some reason o_O). It would have been much easier if I had gone with the ASUS Strix B450 ITX board in the first place (or even an mATX board given I ended up needing to use an mATX case instead of an ITX case as I originally wanted)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the pump has a PWM connector, so the plan is to connect the pump to the CPU fan header on the mobo and then use the included fan splitter, a PWM fan hub (that I just went to MSY to buy), the included fan/rgb hub that came with the cooler (that also has SATA power) and the fan/rgb hub for my case fans and run them all off the system fan header.

My cable management was pretty poor before thanks to the weird shape of the Corsair Crystal 280X and the sleeved PSU extensions, but its going to be atrocious once I get this new spaghetti of wiring plugged in.

My mobo only has the 2 PWM fan headers (but has 2 RGB headers for some reason o_O). It would have been much easier if I had gone with the ASUS Strix B450 ITX board in the first place (or even an mATX board given I ended up needing to use an mATX case instead of an ITX case as I originally wanted)

I've got the Corsair 570x, does the 280x have that crappy channel on the back for "cable management"? That thing is horrendous. Even as an electrician that should have adept looming skills I couldn't even get everything to fit in there nicely myself. Not to mention the channel is on one side and somehow it's expected to route the CPU power from the PSU, through the the channel, then to the opposite corner. Good thing I have CableMod extensions. I decided to make all my stuff Corsair so I'm using the Commander Pro with 6x RGB fans and there was no way I was able to make that stuff look tidy... so I just shoved that back glass panel on and faced it against the wall that no one can ever see haha. I guess you have the added grief of ITX!

Every build is a new learning experience so I've already got a set of conditions for my next case.

Nah, the 280X just has a second compartment behind the motherboard tray for the PSU and cables (kinda like the Lian Li O11 but smaller/shorter).

Because of the height of the case, the non-standard PSU placement and my use of sleeved cable extensions most of tie down spots are completely useless. Instead I've had to resort to bundling the cables as much as possible and tying them to themselves or the HDD cage, although that's going to be harder with all the extra cables and hubs. I'm certainly glad it doesn't have TG on that side :D

Nothing of real note in this video, but it just made me think back to what I was using 10 years ago and comparing it to what I have today. Does anyone else remember exactly what they were running in 2009? I'm having trouble finding the exact AMD I was using. 3600 or 3800 sound really familiar, I remember the motherboard being an Asus M2N4-sli which according to google was AM2. Judging by the years it must have been an Athlon 64 X2? It was definitely a dual core because I remember needing a patch for some games like San Andreas to stop them from running at double speed. I think I built that system in 2007?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600/3800(???)
2x 9600gt SLI
2x 512mb RAM
I think I was using 2x 20gb HDDs
Asus M2N4-sli mobo
Some trusty old LG LCD 800x600, I think 17"
My keyboard was some fancy Logitech thing for the time with an LCD screen which was great for displaying Vent details like who was talking and entering or leaving the channel.

Only 10 years later and comparing that to what my 1080ti + 8700k + 32gb RAM with a few SSD drives can do is nuts. I wonder where we'll be in another 10 years?

Nothing of real note in this video, but it just made me think back to what I was using 10 years ago and comparing it to what I have today. Does anyone else remember exactly what they were running in 2009? I'm having trouble finding the exact AMD I was using. 3600 or 3800 sound really familiar, I remember the motherboard being an Asus M2N4-sli which according to google was AM2. Judging by the years it must have been an Athlon 64 X2? It was definitely a dual core because I remember needing a patch for some games like San Andreas to stop them from running at double speed. I think I built that system in 2007?

2x 9600gt SLI
2x 512mb RAM
Asus M2N4-sli mobo
My keyboard was some fancy Logitech thing for the time with an LCD screen which was great for displaying Vent details like who was talking and entering or leaving the channel.

Only 10 years later and comparing that to what my 1080ti + 8700k + 32gb RAM with a few SSD drives can do is nuts. I wonder where we'll be in another 10 years?

I was running a core 2 duo E7500, 9800GT graphics card, 1GB ram, cannot remember the motherboard, and i had 100gb of HDD

2x 9600gt SLI
2x 512mb RAM
Asus M2N4-sli mobo

From memory I had:
AMD Opteron 165
Asus A8N-SLI
512mb RAM
9600GT
Too many hard drives
Chimei 19" widescreen LCD

I am looking to update my old patchwork rig (put it together while going through a separation, so coin was an issue), but its been ages since I seriously looked into this.

Currently have an intel i7-4770 3.4 ghz on a gigabtye tech B85M-D3H ACPI x64 board, with a GTX 1060 6mb graphics card

its still going okay, but is beginning to feel the strain on some of the newer games

budget is around $1500-2000, and im looking for suggestions on what I should ideally be targeting given I mainly use this for gaming

budget is around $1500-2000, and im looking for suggestions on what I should ideally be targeting given I mainly use this for gaming
I'd start with something like this, which comes to $1775

EDIT: Oh, you'd probably want to buy at least one more fan (to use as an exhaust) as the case only comes with 2

Last edited:
I am looking to update my old patchwork rig (put it together while going through a separation, so coin was an issue), but its been ages since I seriously looked into this.

Currently have an intel i7-4770 3.4 ghz on a gigabtye tech B85M-D3H ACPI x64 board, with a GTX 1060 6mb graphics card

its still going okay, but is beginning to feel the strain on some of the newer games

What type of games do you prefer?
What resolution do you want to target?
What frame rate?

Your GTX 1060 would probably suffice for the interim...

I recently did a platform upgrade from an i5 4670 to the new 6 core R5 3600 and kept my Vega 56 GPU (equal to GTX 1070)
That alone saw a 15-20% increase in frame rate at 1440p..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back