PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Cleveland Browns
Some pretty poxy sales. A lot of stuff years old that I've had on my wishlist for a long time is only 25% off. That's why I miss the old format where it was more engaging, felt like an event and there was a chance at some genuinely big savings.

It's definitely not the same feel anymore. I don't get excited at all tbh. I used to smash the sales hard too.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Some pretty poxy sales. A lot of stuff years old that I've had on my wishlist for a long time is only 25% off. That's why I miss the old format where it was more engaging, felt like an event and there was a chance at some genuinely big savings.
I may pick up witcher 3 as it's down to $15, other than that I haven't seen anything else too exciting.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
It's definitely not the same feel anymore. I don't get excited at all tbh. I used to smash the sales hard too.

I never used to buy anything for my back catalogue outside of the major sales because there was always the chance of getting a real bargain. The reductions seemed a lot more too. Even if I didn't buy a lot in the sale it felt more engaging voting on games for further reductions or waiting for the next flash sale. Current prices are just typical weekend prices. I've been meaning to get Two Point Hospital for a long time so I'll jump at that at 50% and then I'll see if I'm desperate for any of the 25-33% off stuff that has been on my wishlist for ages.

Of course it's all subjective. I see AC Odyssey is 50% which would be a great deal for anyone that doesn't have it yet.

I may pick up witcher 3 as it's down to $15, other than that I haven't seen anything else too exciting.

GOTY edition is only $23.69.

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I never used to buy anything for my back catalogue outside of the major sales because there was always the chance of getting a real bargain. The reductions seemed a lot more too. Even if I didn't buy a lot in the sale it felt more engaging voting on games for further reductions or waiting for the next flash sale. Current prices are just typical weekend prices. I've been meaning to get Two Point Hospital for a long time so I'll jump at that at 50% and then I'll see if I'm desperate for any of the 25-33% off stuff that has been on my wishlist for ages.

Of course it's all subjective. I see AC Odyssey is 50% which would be a great deal for anyone that doesn't have it yet.

GOTY edition is only $23.69.

Two Point Hospital is great. I paid full price for that when it released on my wife's account and thought it was worth the money.

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I think I'll pick up Frostpunk and Nantucket, I've been wanting them for a while now. Maybe even Two Point for my account.

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
How similar is Two Point Hospital to Theme Hospital? That's my main interest in the game as Theme Hospital was one of my favourite games.

It's basically a spiritual successor! As soon as I started playing I got instant Theme Hospital vibes. There's a lot of humour and Easter eggs in the game and it doesn't take it self seriously. Just a really fun game.

If you want a new Theme Hospital, I can't imagine you being disappointed, it's bloody brilliant.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
It's basically a spiritual successor! As soon as I started playing I got instant Theme Hospital vibes. There's a lot of humour and Easter eggs in the game and it doesn't take it self seriously. Just a really fun game.

If you want a new Theme Hospital, I can't imagine you being disappointed, it's bloody brilliant.

Cheers! When I first heard it was by the same dudes it went straight on my radar, but it has been holding its price for a while so now is probably the best time to strike.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I grabbed borderlands handsome collection for $8 for something to do this weekend.

Although I still need to finish Hollow Knight!

Congratulations on commencing your Pile of Shame, aka 'Library'. Mine would be easily 60% unplayed, even greater unfinished.

Every sale: "wow on sale! I'll definitely play that next!"

Then by next sale, same game: "75% off? I got that for 25% off and still haven't played it."

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What isn't launching? I don't have the Handsome collection as I already had the games separately, but they typically opened to a splash screen first. Both games not launching? Looks like some have had an issue with pre-sequel in the past https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/619568793803518508/

when i did the install it started doing something with Microsoft visual studio, when i came back to my computer it had finished but when i try launch nothing happens. also ended up with a bunch of random files in my c drive

Attachments

• c.png
    c.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 119

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What isn't launching? I don't have the Handsome collection as I already had the games separately, but they typically opened to a splash screen first. Both games not launching? Looks like some have had an issue with pre-sequel in the past https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/619568793803518508/
I'll try reinstalling and the fix in that link you posted, cheers

I'm quickly learning PC gaming can be a fickle mistress, that .NET issue still has me stuffed hahaha

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I've got those files in my C drive too, I think they're to do with C++ redistributable which is probably why you saw something to do with visual studio. Just about everything uses a framework which is why those dll files match up with a EULA. Wouldn't worry about that.

You're running into some bad luck. There are times when things just don't work right as no PC is the same due to hardware and software configurations and developers can't test for every scenario, but most of the time it's not so bad. Nothing like your experience so far haha.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'll try reinstalling and the fix in that link you posted, cheers

I'm quickly learning PC gaming can be a fickle mistress, that .NET issue still has me stuffed hahaha

Dude, just rebuild the bloody thing :)

.NET and C++ framework are pretty key to a lot of things, if you're already having these issues I can't see it improving. A rebuild may not fix it but it's much easier to attempt it now and eliminate it as a solution, than do it months down the track when you have more data to worry about.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Dude, just rebuild the bloody thing :)

.NET and C++ framework are pretty key to a lot of things, if you're already having these issues I can't see it improving. A rebuild may not fix it but it's much easier to attempt it now and eliminate it as a solution, than do it months down the track when you have more data to worry about.

This crossed my mind last night, i did a clean install but didn't fix anything

how easy is it to wipe everything and start again? i dont really have anything apart from my save file for hollow knight

I have narrowed it down to the build of the windows OS im using having issues

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Back