PC Pc Gaming/building thread

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Im pretty sure my windows install stopped and i had to restart it when i did it originally, i didn't think anything of it at the time but maybe has something to do with it.

thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far, appreciate it!

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
ok, so the reinstall worked and the .NET issues are all sorted!

only issue seems to be that only the C drive is showing. i have and SSD and M.2 drive

also, should i completely avoid doing the updates through windows?

Attachments

• snip.jpg
    snip.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 113
Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
ok, so the reinstall worked and the .NET issues are all sorted!

only issue seems to be that only the C drive is showing. i have and SSD and M.2 drive

also, should i completely avoid doing the updates through windows?
Right click on my computer and choose manage drives, youll need to identify them

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
By doing the updates through windows do you mean just windows update? Because that's fine. Just go in an set it to a time that suits you, like after midnight or something when you won't be using it.

Now time to check all those games work!
It all works perfect, I'm able to install programs and Borderlands 2 works fine.

Yeah just the windows cumulative update and there is a .NET update aswell, I'm worried if I do them it will cause the same issues!

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It all works perfect, I'm able to install programs and Borderlands 2 works fine.

Yeah just the windows cumulative update and there is a .NET update aswell, I'm worried if I do them it will cause the same issues!

Good to hear the rebuild worked.

If you're concerned that it was a Windows Update that busted it you could always try to set a restore point before attempting it, that way you can (in theory) just roll it back if you get the same problems.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Good to hear the rebuild worked.

If you're concerned that it was a Windows Update that busted it you could always try to set a restore point before attempting it, that way you can (in theory) just roll it back if you get the same problems.
I'm leaning towards it being a dodgy windows install but I will try that just in case..

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Cleveland Browns
Acer's next wide screen 3440x1440p Predator looks like it will be a beast. Wait and see on that. Adaptive sync with both technologies and certified HDR10 with FALD. LG have something cool comparative too. Both are curved and I think 34". HDR looks fantastic on console, keen to see it together with ray tracing on a PC.

What monitor do you have at the moment? I think I've finally settled on getting an Predator X34P. I just want something different to what I've ever had.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
That's in my top 3. The decision is basically down to 27" and 165hz or 34" ultra wide and 120hz. It's a bloody tough decision.

120hz would be fine, I struggle to hit 165fps on new releases. That's what G-Sync (in my case) is for. I'm happy with 80-100 fps at 1440p with everything maxed out. Next time I wanted to go bigger though so the plan was for a 32" 4K monitor, but I'm really liking the look of the upcoming 34" wide screens. I think they're all higher than 120hz too.

Oct 1, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, West Perth, All Blacks
How do you with older games that don't support wide screen? Black bars or windowed mode and does it annoy you?
Haven't really had to worry about that to be honest. I've got a 24" 16:9 on the side as well so for a game like Overwatch that doesn't like ultrawides, I just play on the 2nd monitor. Older games I don't really have an issue playing in a window, played KOTOR 1 and 2 again a few months back and just played in windowed mode.

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Cleveland Browns
Alright took the plunge and splashed the cash! I now have pretty much everything I need for my build with the exception of the most important stuff, mobo, CPU, GPU and ram. And still I've spent about $2.5k or probably more. My setup is gonna be a dream come true!

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
GOG Galaxy 2.0 beta going well by the looks of things. Keen to see it once it has full friend list and store front integration though. Someone said somewhere (I can't remember where, just a comment somewhere) that apparently Steam would prefer to be a backend in the future rather than a storefront too. GOG Galaxy to be the answer?

Review of the PG35VQ in. I swear this generation of wide screens when they were touted way back were meant to be IPS? This will work out to around $4K Aussie, stuff that for a VA and gaming. Maybe it's just the next X35 Predator that will be IPS? Hopefully. Please.

Back