PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright took the plunge and splashed the cash! I now have pretty much everything I need for my build with the exception of the most important stuff, mobo, CPU, GPU and ram. And still I've spent about $2.5k or probably more. My setup is gonna be a dream come true!

Welcome to a better life.

I upgraded pretty much everything on mine 6 months ago, specs;

Mobo: MSI Z390 A-PRO
CPU: i5-9600K
Cooler: Cooler Master ML240L RGB AIO liquid cooler
RAM: HyperX FURY 2x8gb 2666MHZ DDR4
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb NVMe M.2 SSD, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
PSU: Cooler Master 750W modular
Case: Cooler Master MBL 5 RGB

Monitor: Samsung JG50 27" QHD 1440p 144hz monitor

Speakers: Logitech Z200
Mouse: Logitech G703 on a Logitech PowerPlay wireless charging pad
Keyboard: Kogan Mechanical (didn't upgrade this)

It was a pretty budget conscious build but the only thing I'm really disappointed with is the case itself. It was pushing temps around 85 degrees on the CPU during summer playing PUBG, yet when I removed the front panel of the case the temps drop to a steady 55 degrees!
Three fans trying to draw air through a solid perspex/glass door with a tiny cutout at the bottom......... great design right there. It's the price you pay for shiny RGB s**t though i guess

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Going to finally invest in a decent PC. Was tempted to build but would struggle to find the time, and with my cheap budget (looking around $1500) I have read that its often cheaper to buy at the lower level, if you can find a bundle with everything you want.

I have found the following PC for just under $1500
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (I have always preferred Intel, but not sure why)
MB: Gigabyte B450M-S2H AM4
Video: Gigabyte GeoForce GTX1660Ti 6GB
Mem: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz
SSD: WD 250GB SSD
HD: Seagate Baracuda 1TB
PSU: eVGA GD Series 450W
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520

I was wondering if this type of machine is suitable value for what it costs. This is customisable at an extra cost

Going to finally invest in a decent PC. Was tempted to build but would struggle to find the time, and with my cheap budget (looking around $1500) I have read that its often cheaper to buy at the lower level, if you can find a bundle with everything you want.

I was wondering if this type of machine is suitable value for what it costs. This is customisable at an extra cost

Hold off for a little bit if you aren't desperate. Prices will bounce around a bit. Zen 2 is about to drop so the price of 2000 series Ryzen CPUs should fall considerably. I think B450 will be compatible with Ryzen 3000 anyway if you wanted to upgrade later? Don't worry about leaning towards AMD even if you prefer Intel. I haven't had an AMD since Athlon XP+ but recently the pendulum has been swinging well and truly back in their direction.

Nvidia's pricing will be shifting around with them bringing out the Super stuff that should be only affecting the RTX stuff but wouldn't be surprised if it also moves some GTX16xx prices around. I'm not sure if Navi will affect the current RX prices for the AMD stuff but that's something else to consider.

That PSU is cutting things fine imo and if you don't have a problem with stretching a few extra dollars with a custom build I'd ditch the 250gb SSD + 1TB HDD just personally. 500gb SSDs are about $130 each and 1TB start at just over $200 (depending on SATA or nvme m.2) and the performance improvement of running everything off SSD will be most noticeable thing.

hornetswce just put together a nice build on a tidy budget. What did you get again and how much did it cost?

This is what I just built for just under $1300 except I ended up with a gtx 1060 graphics card and Aorus elite Motherboard.

I ordered the bulk of my parts while computer alliance had a 20% off store wide sale. tapatalk_1562322399197.jpeg

Last edited:
What are typical load times like for the witcher 3?

Feels like they are really quick and wondering if it has anything to do with installing it onto my m.2 drive.

Is time the only issue with building? I did mine in an afternoon and would have been less if I didn't get stuck with the RGB fans.

If it's a confidence thing, check out some videos on YouTube, that helped me (Paul's hardware is a good one). Plus the posters in this thread were particularly helpful!

After being hesitant at first I'm so glad I built mine now!

I recent built this PC
Very happy so far, I don't game but need a solid AutoCAD desktop for renders. That's why I went with a ryzen 7 for the 8 cores. Maybe in 5 years I'll update the gpu and cpu that'll suit the b450 motherboard, I just didn't want to spend more than $1500 right now.

Is time the only issue with building? I did mine in an afternoon and would have been less if I didn't get stuck with the RGB fans.

If it's a confidence thing, check out some videos on YouTube, that helped me (Paul's hardware is a good one). Plus the posters in this thread were particularly helpful!

After being hesitant at first I'm so glad I built mine now!
No, I kind of like the idea of building, plus I work in IT so its a useful skill to have.

I had read online (perhaps wrongly) that at the lower end of PCs (Im looking at the $1000-$1500) it has become cheaper to buy machines due to retailers being able to purchase CPUs and Video Cards at wholesale prices.
Might have to check some more builds at PC Part Picker

I want it to have a decent video card so I can explore a little more VR.

That seems rather expensive for the component list, psu seems fairly light and will limit any future upgrades. Aim for higher speed ram with the ryzen, not a huge fan of the motherboard having just done a cheapy build for resale with it, only 2 ram slots, no m.2 ssd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For new builds they still might work out at better bang for buck, but for those looking for an excuse to empty our wallets the gaming benches are a little disappointing. Looks like I'll be sticking with my 8700k even at stock and wait and see what 10th gen Intel Ice Lake looks like. Given their pricing I don't think I'll be upgrading to that either. Looks like more money to keep for 2080ti Super (if it's true) and a new monitor. Surely the 3950x will be more impressive in terms of purely gaming against the 8700/9700k.

Oops, the tech darlings did a boom boom, and those Youtube nobodies who hyped these things to within an inch of their lives now look sillier than usual. I sure hope Intel can withdraw that bankruptcy paperwork
</troll hat>

Yep, these things haven't lived up to the hype so far. I'll do a bit more reading tonight but they certainly have some catching up to do in the gaming world, as a workhorse they seem pretty solid though. I read a little about overclocking them and so far it seems pointless.

Navi is surprising though, it seems to keep (for the most part) with Nvidia in benchmarks, but does have issues with noise, along with some power consumption quirks and some typical driver issues.

I need to upgrade, so I reckon I'll let the dust settle for a bit before I pull the trigger. AMD are closing that gap, but they're still a way off.

Oops, the tech darlings did a boom boom, and those Youtube nobodies who hyped these things to within an inch of their lives now look sillier than usual. I sure hope Intel can withdraw that bankruptcy paperwork
</troll hat>

Yep, these things haven't lived up to the hype so far. I'll do a bit more reading tonight but they certainly have some catching up to do in the gaming world, as a workhorse they seem pretty solid though. I read a little about overclocking them and so far it seems pointless.

Navi is surprising though, it seems to keep (for the most part) with Nvidia in benchmarks, but does have issues with noise, along with some power consumption quirks and some typical driver issues.

I need to upgrade, so I reckon I'll let the dust settle for a bit before I pull the trigger. AMD are closing that gap, but they're still a way off.

Everything i have seen has the ryzen 5 3600 competing and beating the i7 970 in gaming fps, at $349 au. Why is this dissapointing?

Everything i have seen has the ryzen 5 3600 competing and beating the i7 970 in gaming fps, at $349 au. Why is this dissapointing?
As i said, i have to do some more reading, I've only had a quick read about the 3700x and in some benchmarks it's below the i5-9500k, and others it's beating the i9.

Everyone was hyped up thinking this was going to destroy Intel, I'm not sure they've done that. Their lower end gear may stack up well but the higher end stuff seems to drop off.

Much like Ryzen it appears that Navi will be the better value at their price point but not as good as their competitor if purely considering FPS only.

Seems like the AMD blower cooler is garbage though (as expected), and the review drivers were buggy (like they were for Radeon VII) so that will need to be fixed too

For new builds Zen 2 is clearly the best option for cost per frame, and the 3700x and up will still have enough headroom for high end GPUs and are considerably less thirsty, but the disappointing thing is that the 3900x was being hyped up for gaming and will trade blows with the 9900k. If you're an owner of a 7900k/8700k/9700k/9900k and use your machine for mostly gaming there has been nothing interesting from this.

AMD seem to be cornering the low and mid range market and there is nothing wrong with that and it will give them the foundation to take on the sheer high end in the future. Clear over hype still, and the only thing that will kill Intel in the foreseeable future are themselves with their absurd pricing.

Still, bring on the 3950x as I'm interested in how that one goes.

For new builds Zen 2 is clearly the best option for cost per frame, and the 3700x and up will still have enough headroom for high end GPUs and are considerably less thirsty, but the disappointing thing is that the 3900x was being hyped up for gaming and will trade blows with the 9900k. If you're an owner of a 7900k/8700k/9700k/9900k and use your machine for mostly gaming there has been nothing interesting from this.

AMD seem to be cornering the low and mid range market and there is nothing wrong with that and it will give them the foundation to take on the sheer high end in the future. Clear over hype still, and the only thing that will kill Intel in the foreseeable future are themselves with their absurd pricing.

Still, bring on the 3950x as I'm interested in how that one goes.

Absurd pricing comes from a lack of competition, something Zen 2 will sort out. Good non-gaming performance most likely means good things for Epyc in the server space too.

All the kiddies were talking this up like it was going to be the tech equivalent of Apollo 11, when it's closer to Apollo 13. AMD have released a great CPU but ultimately is a CPU that's basically caught up to 18 month old Intel CPUs using a 5 year old manufacturing process. If Intel can get their s**t together for 10th gen the gap will probably widen again.

Absurd pricing comes from a lack of competition, something Zen 2 will sort out. Good non-gaming performance most likely means good things for Epyc in the server space too.

All the kiddies were talking this up like it was going to be the tech equivalent of Apollo 11, when it's closer to Apollo 13. AMD have released a great CPU but ultimately is a CPU that's basically caught up to 18 month old Intel CPUs using a 5 year old manufacturing process. If Intel can get their s**t together for 10th gen the gap will probably widen again.

If I were building a new rig purely for high end gaming the 9700k doesn't look too bad at $599 when the 3700x is $519 and the 3900x over $700 after these reviews. What's going for the Zen 2 stuff is at least if you're already on an AM4 board then there is a good chance you don't have to upgrade. I was hoping for more from the 3900x to be honest. It's only about $50 cheaper than the 9900k in the end. Intel are far from 'destroyed' here.

I still think Zen 2 is a good product but still fell short of the hype. Then again I'm only talking about gaming when this Zen 2 seems to go really well in just about everything else.

If I were building a new rig purely for high end gaming the 9700k doesn't look too bad at $599 when the 3700x is $519 and the 3900x over $700 after these reviews. What's going for the Zen 2 stuff is at least if you're already on an AM4 board then there is a good chance you don't have to upgrade. I was hoping for more from the 3900x to be honest. It's only about $50 cheaper than the 9900k in the end.

I still think Zen 2 is a good product but still fell short of the hype. Then again I'm only talking about gaming when this Zen 2 seems to go really well in just about everything else.
Oh it's definitely a good product, it's just not the next generation game changer people were frothing about.

Yeah I'm torn, the 2500k needs to be retired, i just need to do the maths and research on whether i move to AMD or not. I don't upgrade every couple of years so i want something that'll last, which probably means x570 if i go AMD but they're so god damn expensive.

I recent built this PC
Very happy so far, I don't game but need a solid AutoCAD desktop for renders. That's why I went with a ryzen 7 for the 8 cores. Maybe in 5 years I'll update the gpu and cpu that'll suit the b450 motherboard, I just didn't want to spend more than $1500 right now.
Zen 3 is expected to have 4 way SMT.
So an 8 core will be 32 thread and I would expect compatibility with B450.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back