PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My headphones only work properly when plugged 3/4 of the way into the front audio jack. When plugged in fully I just get muffled audio.
I opened the case and made sure the HD Audio cable was properly in, and still have this issue. I also tried to see if there was anything obstructing the jack itself with a toothpick (lightly) and that didn't seem to be the issue either. Checked my drivers and its all up to date.

Anything else you can suggest ?
Thankfully my headphones have a removable 3.5mm cable so I might just get a longer one and use the back panel audio instead.

Did they work previously? And is the headphone plug TRS (two black rings) or TRRS (three black rings, for headsets that have an attached mic)? At a guess, if you're plugging a TRRS plug into a headphone jack that is only designed for TRS, then plugging it in the entire way then the microphone pole is contacting the ground part of the jack.

Did they work previously? And is the headphone plug TRS (two black rings) or TRRS (three black rings, for headsets that have an attached mic)? At a guess, if you're plugging a TRRS plug into a headphone jack that is only designed for TRS, then plugging it in the entire way then the microphone pole is contacting the ground part of the jack.
I'd say this is probably it. Both headphones I tried had the same issue, and both are TRRS

I'd say this is probably it. Both headphones I tried had the same issue, and both are TRRS

Do you have a headphone/mic splitter cable by any chance? That would do the trick then. They're only a few bucks from places like Jaycar, most computer and audio stores, have even seen them at some JB hifis. Most headsets with mics for PC should have the splitter included.

So after changing my case, installing three extra fans and a water cooler, speccy still said my CPU temp was between 80-90 degrees at idle...

after slightly freaking out, i downloaded the gigabyte app centre and the hardware monitor has it sitting at 30 degrees!

Not sure why but started getting BSOD memory management etc. I ran the memory diagnostic and it said there was a problem with them RAM, i took it out and put it back in and it seems to be working. Hopefully nothing do with the BIOS update i did, see how we go...

So after changing my case, installing three extra fans and a water cooler, speccy still said my CPU temp was between 80-90 degrees at idle...

after slightly freaking out, i downloaded the gigabyte app centre and the hardware monitor has it sitting at 30 degrees!

Not sure why but started getting BSOD memory management etc. I ran the memory diagnostic and it said there was a problem with them RAM, i took it out and put it back in and it seems to be working. Hopefully nothing do with the BIOS update i did, see how we go...
Get Core Temp for temperatures, you can pin them to your task bar and show temps at all times

Damn nice 240mm AIO for $89 with free shipping...

So I have started getting a heap of BSOD such as Memory _Management, IRQL not less or equal and critical structure corruption amongst others. It seems to be ok for a few days then i will get a BSOD every time i try and do something. I have had a look around online and tried a couple of different things with no solution. From what I can see it is a bad driver, possibly the latest NVIDIA GPU driver 431.60.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, tried to sort it out myself but not having much luck!

So I have started getting a heap of BSOD such as Memory _Management, IRQL not less or equal and critical structure corruption amongst others. It seems to be ok for a few days then i will get a BSOD every time i try and do something. I have had a look around online and tried a couple of different things with no solution. From what I can see it is a bad driver, possibly the latest NVIDIA GPU driver 431.60.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, tried to sort it out myself but not having much luck!

Man, I really have no idea. BSOD is often hardware, and I'm starting to wonder if you've got a gremlin in your build somewhere. Faulty and DOA parts are unfortunately not uncommon these days with mass production.

A story for relevance, 8 or 9 years ago I got Scorptec to put a build together because I was paranoid about faulty parts, I wanted their warranty and I wasn't really into adding bling to my systems yet. They run overnight stress tests on everything but when I got it home and set it up it would frequently lock up requiring to be turned off at the wall. I took it back and they couldn't fault it and it was fine after they returned it. Over the next few months it would do the same thing maybe once or twice a month until about 6-8 months later it finally wouldn't post. I took it back again and it turned out to be a faulty HDD.

If you've got a piece of faulty hardware it could account for some things. I don't know how you could test everything to rule that out and would be s**t if that's the case. But you're having way too many problems than you should be.

Man, I really have no idea. BSOD is often hardware, and I'm starting to wonder if you've got a gremlin in your build somewhere. Faulty and DOA parts are unfortunately not uncommon these days with mass production.

A story for relevance, 8 or 9 years ago I got Scorptec to put a build together because I was paranoid about faulty parts, I wanted their warranty and I wasn't really into adding bling to my systems yet. They run overnight stress tests on everything but when I got it home and set it up it would frequently lock up requiring to be turned off at the wall. I took it back and they couldn't fault it and it was fine after they returned it. Over the next few months it would do the same thing maybe once or twice a month until about 6-8 months later it finally wouldn't post. I took it back again and it turned out to be a faulty HDD.

If you've got a piece of faulty hardware it could account for some things. I don't know how you could test everything to rule that out and would be s**t if that's the case. But you're having way too many problems than you should be.

I think i may have narrowed it down to an issue with the RAM, its not on the supported memory list for my Motherboard

RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill (2x8GB) F4-2400C15D-16GVR 2400Mhz Ripjaws V
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

would the RAM work at all if its incompatible with the motherboard? probably explains all the memory BSOD''s i'm getting

I think i may have narrowed it down to an issue with the RAM, its not on the supported memory list for my Motherboard

RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill (2x8GB) F4-2400C15D-16GVR 2400Mhz Ripjaws V
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

would the RAM work at all if its incompatible with the motherboard? probably explains all the memory BSOD''s i'm getting

I'm at work at the moment so can't look much up currently, but have you overclocked the RAM in bios? RAM is RAM, as long as the memory types match it should be good to go. Some motherboards don't support certain overclocks though. Usually they'll list those clocks with an asterisk or something. But 2400mhz shouldn't be an issue and I think that's stock? Dav or Goldy might know off the top of their head of they see this.

I'm at work at the moment so can't look much up currently, but have you overclocked the RAM in bios? RAM is RAM, as long as the memory types match it should be good to go. Some motherboards don't support certain overclocks though. Usually they'll list those clocks with an asterisk or something. But 2400mhz shouldn't be an issue and I think that's stock? Dav or Goldy might know off the top of their head of they see this.

Nah not overclocking, only running around 2133, maybe the RAM itself is stuffed, might need to run the memtest IMG_0077.JPG

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any 2400mhz ram should be fine on a b450 chipset.
It was 1st gen Ryzen on 300 series chipsets that had really bad compatibility issues.

I assume you have installed it paired in either the 1st & 3rd slot OR the 2nd & 4th slot (refer to motherboard manual).
Also I'd try using only 1 stick to possibly narrow it down to either a faulty stick. Also try 1 stick in all 4 slots to isolate any hardware fault in an individual slot itself.

Any 2400mhz ram should be fine on a b450 chipset.
It was 1st gen Ryzen on 300 series chipsets that had really bad compatibility issues.

I assume you have installed it paired in either the 1st & 3rd slot OR the 2nd & 4th slot (refer to motherboard manual).
Also I'd try using only 1 stick to possibly narrow it down to either a faulty stick. Also try 1 stick in all 4 slots to isolate any hardware fault in an individual slot itself.

Yeah I have them staggered in the 2 & 4 slot from memory.

I think that is the next step, last time I did the memtest it picked up a fault with the RAM but I thought it was just the RAM not connected correctly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably going to need more detail on the error codes to work out what the issue is, ie. stop codes and the affected system file. If you want dive into the deep end you can get more information with software like BlueScreenView or Microsoft's WinDBG.

CCleaner may help you scrub old drivers if that's the issue, and SCANSFC can cleanup OS corruptions.

Just finished running the windows memory diagnostic, looks like i had a bad stick of RAM.

1st Test - Both sticks in - Hardware Issue Found
2nd Test - Both sticks in other RAM slots - Hardware Issue Found
3rd Test - One stick in - Hardware Issue Found
4th Test - Other stick in - No Hardware Issue Found

Just finished running the windows memory diagnostic, looks like i had a bad stick of RAM.

1st Test - Both sticks in - Hardware Issue Found
2nd Test - Both sticks in other RAM slots - Hardware Issue Found
3rd Test - One stick in - Hardware Issue Found
4th Test - Other stick in - No Hardware Issue Found

And just to clarify, you tested the good stick in all slots?

Fingers crossed this is the source and last of your issues. It shouldn't be this hard! lol

And just to clarify, you tested the good stick in all slots?

Fingers crossed this is the source and last of your issues. It shouldn't be this hard! lol

Ah no I didn’t, should I have?

Yeah I hope so, I love my PC but god it’s given me some grief. I actually enjoy the troubleshooting and problem solving but it would be nice for it to just work all the time haha.

Ah no I didn’t, should I have?

Yeah I hope so, I love my PC but god it’s given me some grief. I actually enjoy the troubleshooting and problem solving but it would be nice for it to just work all the time haha.

Given the results of your other tests you would be safe to bet it was the stick and you would be extremely unlucky to have both a bummed stick and slot... but with your luck I don't know haha. While you're testing it's just best to do it anyway so you can rule it out and can say categorically that one stick works in every slot, but the other in none. I'm not sure what the others might say but the next issue you face is that you might have to buy two new sticks if you can't find the exact same one to pair. You'll have to make sure to hunt down the same brand, memory size, speed, and timing.

Given the results of your other tests you would be safe to bet it was the stick and you would be extremely unlucky to have both a bummed stick and slot... but with your luck I don't know haha. While you're testing it's just best to do it anyway so you can rule it out and can say categorically that one stick works in every slot, but the other in none. I'm not sure what the others might say but the next issue you face is that you might have to buy two new sticks if you can't find the exact same one to pair. You'll have to make sure to hunt down the same brand, memory size, speed, and timing.

Ah ok, I’ll do that tonight.

I’m hoping there’s some sort of warranty, didn’t buy them that long ago.

Standard 12 month warranty if you've still got your receipt. You went to PLE didn't you? Should be no issues as you didn't go to MSY.

Nah it was through computer alliance, spoke to them this morning and they were happy for me to send it back. Probably would have been more convenient to buy local but couldn’t resist the price I got. Just means no PC until they look at it.

Hoping I can pay the difference and upgrade the RAM to something better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back