Remove this Banner Ad

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Frustrated with my shitty asus router.

Looking at replacing it with a QOTOM box running pfSense.

Anyone have any experience?
Interesting idea, had a quick skim read of the pfSense thread on Whirlpool and they seem to do the job. It's actually kind of tempting considering the $80 TP-Link thing I bought struggles at times, hopefully it can do VLAN Tagging (thanks TPG/Internode)

Interesting idea, had a quick skim read of the pfSense thread on Whirlpool and they seem to do the job. It's actually kind of tempting considering the $80 TP-Link thing I bought struggles at times, hopefully it can do VLAN Tagging (thanks TPG/Internode)

I have 20 clients connecting and my router has 256MB Ram, and it crashes about once a week.

Looking at these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Only question is to get the i3 or the i5.

dwwaino let me know if you want me to create a new thread since this isn't really about pc gaming. (the other forum seems pretty dead though)

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have 20 clients connecting and my router has 256MB Ram, and it crashes about once a week.

Looking at these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Only question is to get the i3 or the i5.

dwwaino let me know if you want me to create a new thread since this isn't really about pc gaming. (the other forum seems pretty dead though)

The current modem has 64MB RAM, I figured it would be fine since the Orbi WAPs should be doing the hard work, but even loading the web interface is a struggle sometimes. Apparently I've got 19 clients online at the moment, and that's not including work devices if we have to WFH

Sounds like people haven't been able to overload the Celeron/Pentium ones, so you'd think i3 would be plenty. But if power consumption isn't an issue for you, spec it up

So 2021 is the year I finally start fresh with a current pc. The one I've had since 2012 has served me well (i5 3570k, countless hdd swaps, dvd/bluray burners, 560ti to 780ti and recently went to a 2080ti, 8 to 16gb ram etc). Still does what I want it to do butttt its just time to move on.

My plan was to get a gaming pc, and also get a new laptop. Then with how much ripping of bluray and 4k movies I've been doing recently I've thought of building a pure htpc (wanted to have a separate gaming rig and different system to do my ripping as its easier to lug around).

Then I had a brainwave to try and combine the gaming rig and htpc idea into one compact mini itx system. Its approx $1000 cheaper, though that idea might be unrealistic as I don't want 100 degree temps lol.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So 2021 is the year I finally start fresh with a current pc. The one I've had since 2012 has served me well (i5 3570k, countless hdd swaps, dvd/bluray burners, 560ti to 780ti and recently went to a 2080ti, 8 to 16gb ram etc). Still does what I want it to do butttt its just time to move on.

My plan was to get a gaming pc, and also get a new laptop. Then with how much ripping of bluray and 4k movies I've been doing recently I've thought of building a pure htpc (wanted to have a separate gaming rig and different system to do my ripping as its easier to lug around).

Then I had a brainwave to try and combine the gaming rig and htpc idea into one compact mini itx system. Its approx $1000 cheaper, though that idea might be unrealistic as I don't want 100 degree temps lol.
Physical media collections are so early-mid 2000's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico

Before you get too attached to that idea I'd look into whether there are even any ITX cases that have 5.25" bays anymore.

The 2nd thing to check would be how many slots your 2080Ti takes up - anything more that 2.25 and plenty of ITX cases won't accommodate it

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Before you get too attached to that idea I'd look into whether there are even any ITX cases that have 5.25" bays anymore.

The 2nd thing to check would be how many slots your 2080Ti takes up - anything more that 2.25 and plenty of ITX cases won't accommodate it

Or go external for the drive into a USB-C or Thunderbolt port

Hello

I have done that very thing very recently.

I would highly suggest you build a htpc server separate to your gaming rig.

The demands on a HTPC are very different to that of a gaming machine and you'll probably end up not having great performance on either if you try to go down the middle.

Transcoding/playing back media is all about the CPU. Gaming is about (mostly) the GPU.

If you go down the route of a separate HTPC machine you can use it for other things on top of plex/jellyfin/emby/kodi, and you can keep it on 24/7.

Hello

I have done that very thing very recently.

I would highly suggest you build a htpc server separate to your gaming rig.

The demands on a HTPC are very different to that of a gaming machine and you'll probably end up not having great performance on either if you try to go down the middle.

Transcoding/playing back media is all about the CPU. Gaming is about (mostly) the GPU.

If you go down the route of a separate HTPC machine you can use it for other things on top of plex/jellyfin/emby/kodi, and you can keep it on 24/7.

For the cpu I'm prepared to go for grunt I had the i9 10900 in mind before the htpc idea, I'm all about extracting as many fps as possible when encoding my videos (eg: through handbrake). Thus I was aiming for that cpu, even though I have been pushed to an AMD for a cooler cpu temp.

When I got the 2080ti I switched to encoding via the gpu and wow the times were a lot quicker!

And yes I'll likely have to get separate systems or compromise on the videocard (as I'm going to get a bluray burner for the ripping). For the htpc option there are three cases i have in mind (Silverstone and Fractal).

I may end up just getting a tower and go all in on everything (saves me spending $2-$3000 on two identical systems).

The htpc on its own would be great as I'm lugging my current pc around to different areas for different purposes (its currently in my lounge room to take advantage of the 65" 4k tv).

For the cpu I'm prepared to go for grunt I had the i9 10900 in mind before the htpc idea, I'm all about extracting as many fps as possible when encoding my videos (eg: through handbrake). Thus I was aiming for that cpu, even though I have been pushed to an AMD for a cooler cpu temp.

When I got the 2080ti I switched to encoding via the gpu and wow the times were a lot quicker!

And yes I'll likely have to get separate systems or compromise on the videocard (as I'm going to get a bluray burner for the ripping). For the htpc option there are three cases i have in mind (Silverstone and Fractal).

I may end up just getting a tower and go all in on everything (saves me spending $2-$3000 on two identical systems).

The htpc on its own would be great as I'm lugging my current pc around to different areas for different purposes (its currently in my lounge room to take advantage of the 65" 4k tv).

I'm currently using a fractal node 804 in the living room as my always on server. 4HDDs 12TB Storage (3 x 4 TB for storage, 1 x 5TB parity). I've shared the folders on there via NFS(Linux) and SMB (Windows) so I do all my ripping on my windows 10 gaming machine and then just transfer it over the network when I' done.

I've setup my router to expose Media Server to the internet so I can play my music/tv/movies even if i'm not at home.

Sounds like you need a better networking solution if you're forced to move your pc around tbh.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Mount Buller Demons
Frustrated with my shitty asus router.

Looking at replacing it with a QOTOM box running pfSense.

Anyone have any experience?
pfSense looks awesome. I came across it a few years back and have always wanted to build a box to run it since. Morten Hjorth, My PlayHouse on YouTube is where I first came across it. He works in networking and has a little dinky house out back Denmark he purchased and does videos of doing it up. He houses 3-4 racks full of servers (old IBMs mostly!) and he makes videos about the house, servers, working with electronics. IIRC he set up pfSense using vMware and his servers. I have enjoyed his videos since seeing that one. There are others with great videos going through in great detail of how to set it all up.

I am on the look out for a new headset to replace my old Astros/mixamp to use with PC and Xbox (rarely). I am looking at upgrading to the new Astro Mixamp (so expensive though) generation and some HyperX (one of the 5 headsets they have with similar names) but open to any other ideas.

I'm currently using a fractal node 804 in the living room as my always on server. 4HDDs 12TB Storage (3 x 4 TB for storage, 1 x 5TB parity). I've shared the folders on there via NFS(Linux) and SMB (Windows) so I do all my ripping on my windows 10 gaming machine and then just transfer it over the network when I' done.

I've setup my router to expose Media Server to the internet so I can play my music/tv/movies even if i'm not at home.

Sounds like you need a better networking solution if you're forced to move your pc around tbh.

Aside from doing some wireless console gaming and having a modem/router setup for that and connecting other devices to an internet connection, I don't really have a "network" to speak of :p. I only move my pc around for different purposes (eg: I move it to my kitchen bench when I've got some heavy duty dvd/bluray/now 4K copying to do). I probably should just get a proper desk (with a thicker bench top) that doesn't move around or vibrate a huge amount :p.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
toys.JPG

should be on its way next week! yeah, there's one kinda important component not included but i blame nvidia rather than my impatience, ha. and i realise the 5800 is the worst value option, but it's the only one that turns up in stock ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back