PC Pc Gaming/building thread

I'm so glad I got in when I did. Prices and stock are even more bullshit right now. I'd say just buy a new console but that's not even possible.

Picked up my PS5 on Saturday, would much rather have picked up a 3080 and a 5900X

* this s**t. I want a 3080

Oct 1, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, West Perth, All Blacks

It took this for NZXT to finally own the issue. I suspect I won't be seeing a replacement riser cable for at least six months considering I still haven't received the band-aid fix. My riser cable remains zip tied. It really is a shame how poorly they've handled this situation because I really love this case.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

It took this for NZXT to finally own the issue. I suspect I won't be seeing a replacement riser cable for at least six months considering I still haven't received the band-aid fix. My riser cable remains zip tied. It really is a shame how poorly they've handled this situation because I really love this case.

After all that effort to get it!

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm so glad I got in when I did. Prices and stock are even more bullshit right now. I'd say just buy a new console but that's not even possible.

Yeah, in hindsight im glad i pulled the trigger when i did. $300 above rrp isnt too bad when it’s the difference between a whole new build/TV vs the 2013 trusty i5.

In a stroke of luck i somehow ended up with the newer 3x8 pin version of the aorus too. Winner.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, in hindsight im glad i pulled the trigger when i did. $300 above rrp isnt too bad when it’s the difference between a whole new build/TV vs the 2013 trusty i5.

In a stroke of luck i somehow ended up with the newer 3x8 pin version of the aorus too. Winner.

Some people make a big deal about paying a single dollar over RRP, but as long as it's within reason you put the value on it yourself. It's s**t but if that's the market then that's the market. $300 doesn't seem so bad since I've seen some products like some cards $500 over.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there a set RRP for AIBs? Granted, I haven't really looked but I haven't seen it stated anywhere. The only RRP I have seen is on NVIDIA's website for the Founders Edition cards.

Technically no, but also technically the FE RRP is supposed to be roughly the RRP for AIBs. There was something on HUB just recently about this if I remember correctly because the 6900xt got ridiculous. Would have to dig through to find it, but it was something about the AIB prices being partially dictated to by NVIDIA and AMD. AIBs can't hit the RRP due to the prices they're paying themselves.

Technically no, but also technically the FE RRP is supposed to be roughly the RRP for AIBs. There was something on HUB just recently about this if I remember correctly because the 6900xt got ridiculous. Would have to dig through to find it, but it was something about the AIB prices being partially dictated to by NVIDIA and AMD. AIBs can't hit the RRP due to the prices they're paying themselves.

I remember Steve from HUB saying around the time they first started reviewing the new cards that in America in normal times AIBs are usually somewhere around $50-$100 more than the FE depending on the brand and model. I would have thought that here it would be about the same or just a little bit more.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
The difference in the case of the 6800XTs this time is that there appear to be no AIB cards at the MSRP (when they are even in stock), when typically AIBs will have a card with a barely adequate cooler at MRSP and then have their better clocked/cooled cards that cost the $50-$100 premium

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Picked up a cheap 4k 28in monitor second hand out of curiosity and I wish I went to 4k sooner. Surprised at how well my rig (i7 4790 and 1650 Super) can handle some games at the resolution, getting very playable framerates, and I drop down to 1440p for the more demanding titles. Was tempted to get a Series X for the 4k gameplay but this will do me for the near future at least.

I didn't realise how bad the mining situation was again. Surely a separate product could be made or something, this is ridiculous that consumers and enthusiasts etc are competing with that sort of thing.

Probably the nature of the computations is what makes consumer GPU's perfect for this,

Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
More just thinking out loud. Surely they could produce a line of poorly binned cards or something, made cheaper with no video ports or fancy coolers or anything, and toss them out to miners?
Nvidia first floated this idea in 2018 (during the last mining hype/GPU craze) but they must have since abandoned it (possible due to the subsequent fall in Bitcoin) as they are now talking about restarting it.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Nvidia first floated this idea in 2018 (during the last mining hype/GPU craze) but they must have since abandoned it (possible due to the subsequent fall in Bitcoin) as they are now talking about restarting it.

It's certainly needed. I remember seeing something like that done on Pascal cards. I know there isn't really a competitor to run to seeing as AMD are having their own availability issues (due to allocating the majority of wafers to console SoCs), but long term this can't be earning any good will from consumers. I was lucky to get my 3080 last year and I probaby dropped off the weekly news about them since. But just recently starting to get back into the loop the prices and availability seems even worse than last year. It wouldn't really be hyperbole to suggest that RTX 4000 series rumours will pickup before 3000 become readily available off the shelf and at respectable prices.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
building my mum a new PC next week, finally upgrading her from her shitbox dual core 3 gig ram (1 gig died I guess) 5400rpm hdd home office PC from 2008...

getting her the i3 10100, nvme SSD and another SSD, 16gig ram. she's not gonna know what's going on lel

Back