PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
looks like my gtx980 is gonna go another year lol

no way am i buying in at these sh*t prices/stock levels, should've tried to preorder at the start

The whole situation is s**t. I genuinely feel bummed for anyone who can't get an upgrade. It was s**t enough at launch but those who were desperate and willing managed to get something around MSRP. The fact that it has gotten worse with sign of letting up is pretty ridiculous.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
The whole situation is sh*t. I genuinely feel bummed for anyone who can't get an upgrade. It was sh*t enough at launch but those who were desperate and willing managed to get something around MSRP. The fact that it has gotten worse with sign of letting up is pretty ridiculous.

the fact that Cyberpunk released to mediocre reviews/controversy etc helped me a bit in waiting a little bit..

but either way i've wanted to upgrade to a 144hz+ 1440p monitor for years but just isn't viable with my build, it will s**t itself trying to play at 1440p. so I'm waiting it out

in other news I built my mum and GF "home office" builds this week - was so nice to have all parts in stock and not overpriced. also a joy to build a PC with just mobo/ram/cpu/psu/nvme drive and a fan. barely anything in the case lel took no time at all and barely any cable management

we did a comparison my mum's new PC starts up and becomes usable in like 7 seconds her old 2008 PC takes like 6 mins to become usable lel

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
the fact that Cyberpunk released to mediocre reviews/controversy etc helped me a bit in waiting a little bit..

but either way i've wanted to upgrade to a 144hz+ 1440p monitor for years but just isn't viable with my build, it will sh*t itself trying to play at 1440p. so I'm waiting it out

in other news I built my mum and GF "home office" builds this week - was so nice to have all parts in stock and not overpriced. also a joy to build a PC with just mobo/ram/cpu/psu/nvme drive and a fan. barely anything in the case lel took no time at all and barely any cable management

we did a comparison my mum's new PC starts up and becomes usable in like 7 seconds her old 2008 PC takes like 6 mins to become usable lel

Cyberpunk was certainly a bit of the anxiety to get a new build done in time. In hindsight not worth it lol. The game that is. The new system is going awesome, between the 3080 and 5900x it's absolutely crushing compiling code and building lighting in Unreal Engine.

Cyberpunk was certainly a bit of the anxiety to get a new build done in time. In hindsight not worth it lol. The game that is. The new system is going awesome, between the 3080 and 5900x it's absolutely crushing compiling code and building lighting in Unreal Engine.

I may be one of the few people who really enjoyed cyberpunk, haven't finished it as life got in the way. but despite some bugs, it's very entertaining.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
I may be one of the few people who really enjoyed cyberpunk, haven't finished it as life got in the way. but despite some bugs, it's very entertaining.

It was alright (P.C version). But like most people I got sucked into the hype. It had no chance of topping Witcher 3. Who knows , after a few patches and expansions it could be a totally different experience.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Was always bummed that I couldn't fit my second monitor on my new desk with the latest build, and only occurred to me today to try the second in portait. Don't know why I didn't try this earlier! it's a 2560*1440 monitor so in portrait it's still smaller than 1920 wide but it's just to hold the web browser and Visual Studio when I'm playing around in UE4/Unity/Blender/Substance.

Anyone have experience with VA monitors of late? I've always been loyal to IPS panels for my PC stuff because I prefer the colours and don't like VA smearing/smudging. Are those still an issue with VA monitors or more a thing of the past? I don't care about the lower colour accuracy because the stuff I do in Substance for example is just hobby work, not pro. The reason I ask is because I've been once again bitten by the Samsung G9 bug. I'd love it, don't care about the price tag but I'd hate to spend that sort of coin to not be happy with the panel when I usually prefer IPS. I'd definitely use it to simulate 2x 1440p monitors for productivity stuff, and ever since getting the X34P I could never game in anything less than 21:9 ever again. Casually mentioned it to the missus and didn't exactly get a no....

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was always bummed that I couldn't fit my second monitor on my new desk with the latest build, and only occurred to me today to try the second in portait. Don't know why I didn't try this earlier! it's a 2560*1440 monitor so in portrait it's still smaller than 1920 wide but it's just to hold the web browser and Visual Studio when I'm playing around in UE4/Unity/Blender/Substance.

Anyone have experience with VA monitors of late? I've always been loyal to IPS panels for my PC stuff because I prefer the colours and don't like VA smearing/smudging. Are those still an issue with VA monitors or more a thing of the past? I don't care about the lower colour accuracy because the stuff I do in Substance for example is just hobby work, not pro. The reason I ask is because I've been once again bitten by the Samsung G9 bug. I'd love it, don't care about the price tag but I'd hate to spend that sort of coin to not be happy with the panel when I usually prefer IPS. I'd definitely use it to simulate 2x 1440p monitors for productivity stuff, and ever since getting the X34P I could never game in anything less than 21:9 ever again. Casually mentioned it to the missus and didn't exactly get a no....
Yeah I run a 21:9 and a portrait 1080p monitor at work, a 1440p monitor would be better but it's all I could scavenge from the spares pile.

I bought a decent Samsung VA because of the reviews, under certain situations it just looks crap (eg. in Ghost Recon Wildlands, when it got dark and overcast the entire sky would ghost, AC:Odyssey did something similar). I like the colours on it, but for a gaming monitor it's great until it isn't. If I had to chose between that and my Dell IPS I'd probably stick with the Dell, but you'd think a panel like the G9 should have minimal issues like that.

brobest

Rookie
Mar 4, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably looked down upon here, but ive a 3070... in my laptop :D

Got a ASUS Rog Strix Scar G733QR, it has a Ryzen 7 5800H, 16GB DDR4 3200, 3070RTX 8GB @ 130W and a 1TB NVME SSD.

Obviously not going to compete with its desktop brother, but its a solid laptop, runs fairly cool and performs nicely in games and benchmarks. In the UK it cost me 1900£

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I run a 21:9 and a portrait 1080p monitor at work, a 1440p monitor would be better but it's all I could scavenge from the spares pile.

I bought a decent Samsung VA because of the reviews, under certain situations it just looks crap (eg. in Ghost Recon Wildlands, when it got dark and overcast the entire sky would ghost, AC:Odyssey did something similar). I like the colours on it, but for a gaming monitor it's great until it isn't. If I had to chose between that and my Dell IPS I'd probably stick with the Dell, but you'd think a panel like the G9 should have minimal issues like that.

Do you know if refresh rates can compensate for some of the ghosting that's inherent on VA monitors? The G9 is a 240hz monitor, not that even my 3080 will hit that on the latest AAA titles with the kinds of graphics whore settings I like to play at. It sucks because at $2700 you'd want something to be perfect, though more and more of the flagship models are coming out in VA which is why I was wondering if they've improved over the years. The only thing that has ever bummed me about gaming on IPS panels is the lack of real blacks, especially after playing games on the PS5 in HDR on an OLED TV. The difference is night and day. It's just the ghosting and smearing of VAs that have always turned me off. I think I really need to see a G9 in person before I make any sort of real decision.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Have had the art bug of late. Substance Painter is so much fun. I made a dirty old barrel, go me.

muhbarrel.png

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you know if refresh rates can compensate for some of the ghosting that's inherent on VA monitors? The G9 is a 240hz monitor, not that even my 3080 will hit that on the latest AAA titles with the kinds of graphics whore settings I like to play at. It sucks because at $2700 you'd want something to be perfect, though more and more of the flagship models are coming out in VA which is why I was wondering if they've improved over the years. The only thing that has ever bummed me about gaming on IPS panels is the lack of real blacks, especially after playing games on the PS5 in HDR on an OLED TV. The difference is night and day. It's just the ghosting and smearing of VAs that have always turned me off. I think I really need to see a G9 in person before I make any sort of real decision.
I doubt they can compensate without creating lag, but I don't know much about the higher end ones. There's a fairly extensive Whirlpool thread on them which may have info. If you have access to Samsung EPP they're on special for $2659, but at that price I'd be trying to find a local one to look at, although you could probably resell it without losing too much.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I doubt they can compensate without creating lag, but I don't know much about the higher end ones. There's a fairly extensive Whirlpool thread on them which may have info. If you have access to Samsung EPP they're on special for $2659, but at that price I'd be trying to find a local one to look at, although you could probably resell it without losing too much.

$2699 at Scorptec, at that price can't really split $40. I might have to ask them if they have a demo setup, but they've had their showroom closed since Rona started. Something else I need to see us field of view. At 3440*1440 I get a bit of noticeable distortion at the sides and I can never get in game FOV settings right to compensate so I've learnt to live with it. Unsure how much worse it would be at 5120*1440.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
$2699 at Scorptec, at that price can't really split $40. I might have to ask them if they have a demo setup, but they've had their showroom closed since Rona started. Something else I need to see us field of view. At 3440*1440 I get a bit of noticeable distortion at the sides and I can never get in game FOV settings right to compensate so I've learnt to live with it. Unsure how much worse it would be at 5120*1440.
Can't remember where you are, but one of these places might be your best bet

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't remember where you are, but one of these places might be your best bet

Actually that's a good idea. Cheers for that. My local Westfield only has a Samsung popup just for phones and tablets and stuff. Didn't think of their actual stores elsewhere. Don't think it would be hard to convince the missus to head up to Chadstone one weekend lol.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Actually that's a good idea. Cheers for that. My local Westfield only has a Samsung popup just for phones and tablets and stuff. Didn't think of their actual stores elsewhere. Don't think it would be hard to convince the missus to head up to Chadstone one weekend lol.
Anything to enable over-the-top hardware purchasing ;)
Given the price of the thing they could probably line up a demo unit (if they don't have one already) with a bit of notice.

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Mount Buller Demons
Just inquiring to see what people are using for audio?

I am after something I can listen to PC and console audio at the same time. Do not care for console chat etc. I currently use old Astros/mixamp to do so, but in severe want of an upgrade.

Really like the look of some of the HyperX models and the reviews I have seen. I would love wireless, but not sure of how that works with the above, but not fussed at all.

Would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions or experiences. Much thanks.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I am after something I can listen to PC and console audio at the same time. Do not care for console chat etc. I currently use old Astros/mixamp to do so, but in severe want of an upgrade.

Really like the look of some of the HyperX models and the reviews I have seen. I would love wireless, but not sure of how that works with the above, but not fussed at all.

SMSL AD18 Amp/DAC
Voll B50 Speakers
Philips Fidelio X2 headphones

If by "same time" you mean all connected and just switching sources/outputs then something similar would work, USB connection for the PC, Aux/Optical for console.

I may be 15 years behind, but the Yulong DAC's were apparently really awesome.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Crisis averted. Cooled on the G9. Still too many recent posts about it doing weird stuff and for $2700 I'd prefer something to be faultless. Also, I think 3440x1440 is a sweet spot. 5120*1440 is nearly 4K pixel count and remembering the 3080 is a 10gb card. There's the 3840*1600 LG monitors like the 38gl950 which is more realistic to drive at decent frames with ultra settings but it's $3k.

My X34P is still a really good monitor. If I were to spend $2k+ on an upgrade I'd rather wait and see if a killer OLED monitor gets dropped in the futue.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Crisis averted. Cooled on the G9. Still too many recent posts about it doing weird stuff and for $2700 I'd prefer something to be faultless. Also, I think 3440x1440 is a sweet spot. 5120*1440 is nearly 4K pixel count and remembering the 3080 is a 10gb card. There's the 3840*1600 LG monitors like the 38gl950 which is more realistic to drive at decent frames with ultra settings but it's $3k.

My X34P is still a really good monitor. If I were to spend $2k+ on an upgrade I'd rather wait and see if a killer OLED monitor gets dropped in the futue.
Wise choice. 34 inches is massive already, 49 will be a pain in the neck during games that support it and frustrating when they don’t.

If it was just about size, you could get a 55inch OLED tv with HDMI 2.1 but it wouldn’t work sitting 50cm away.

Back