PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The card shortages are maddening. I'm trying to decide how long I can go without a GPU in my PC, so I can flip my Strix 2080 while it's worth shitloads and upgrade to a 3080 or 90.
Silicon shortage is buzzard, car manufacturers have 99% complete cars sitting at the end of production lines waiting for computer components.

Maybe as a whole, we have put all the eggs in one basket. Need to diversify the raw material strategy.

Been having fun with my little TUF A15. Have to admit that I've been a snob on the high end gear for so long that I've forgotten how capable entry-mid tier stuff can be for certain things. The missus also doesn't mind me kicking back on the couch with it even if I've got headphones on because she sees it as me spending time with her and not couped away on my desktop lol. Just ordered an extra 500gb Samsung 970 for it as it looks to be a keeper and I'll pull the stickers off it tonight as it doesn't seem like I'm going to be needing to return it. It doesn't look like it's going to hit the 95c thermal limit, but then again I don't run Prime95 on cheap gear for the fun of it. I should invite HUB into my work to teach them a few things about air flow and blowers (we can them scrolls) before they go butchering their gear again as HVAC is one of the biggest areas we service.

Glad it worked out because the other two options were the Dell G5 SE which was a Ryzen 7 4900H with a 5600M, and the HP Omen 15 with Intel 10750 and 2060. Both were a few hundred more but the Dell construction felt like cheap rubbish and the HP had a mushy keyboard that I really didn't enjoy. The HP had a nicer screen to look at but the TUF A15 just had the overall better construction. Took the gamble on the cheaper option in the face of reviews and came out satisfied.
Sounds great. Definitely a bonus to have portability and there are a lot of games that don't need huge frame numbers to run fine.

I hope the Flow X13 trend continues and in the future they can uncouple a massive GPU from a laptop without the current bottlenecks. It definitely suits me to have an all in one machine with a lot of travelling for work so it would be great if this option doesn't gimp performance too much. My current laptop has a 2080 in it so is fine for what I do but it'd be nice if the future closes the gap between desktop vs laptop + external GPU rather than just holding ground.

Sounds great. Definitely a bonus to have portability and there are a lot of games that don't need huge frame numbers to run fine.

I hope the Flow X13 trend continues and in the future they can uncouple a massive GPU from a laptop without the current bottlenecks. It definitely suits me to have an all in one machine with a lot of travelling for work so it would be great if this option doesn't gimp performance too much. My current laptop has a 2080 in it so is fine for what I do but it'd be nice if the future closes the gap between desktop vs laptop + external GPU rather than just holding ground.

The worst part about them is really the value. They are often way too expensive for what you get. I've been keen on a new half decent to thrash for whatever for a little while but it has just been hard to justify. This one getting cut from $2100 or whater it was to under $1700 and then with some vouchers on top made it worthwhile. I've played on clans with FIFO workers and stuff who have no choice than to get a gaming laptop so there is definitely a market and I'm sure they'll only get better.

For me first I just wanted something with a capable CPU and 16gb of RAM to do some stuff with. For the price range the gaming laptops were better value so the 1660ti was just a bonus and I added another 512gb nvme drive so now it's got some decent storage. The screen is only 1080p 144hz and the specs are more than adequate. I haven't tried anything strenuous on it yet, just some older games from Game Pass and EA that I haven't played in years or haven't played nice with my desktop's ultrawide monitor. Maybe for science I'll give something more recent a go and see how it fairs.

These may be a rebadge of Clevo motherboards but damn, there right to repair stuff makes me want to pick one up.

s2721dgf got sent and arrived already even though eta still says april 28th lel

first time at more than 1080p 60hz for me

holy sh*t it's smooth

nervous to try any graphically demanding games though...

Congrats man. Monitor upgrades are one of the best experiences imo.

I tried GTAV single player and was getting 65-95 fps with pretty high settings, happy enough with that with this build

The Outer Worlds was dropping well into the 40's with the same settings I had with the 1080p monitor, will probs have to turn a few things down on newer games because that felt horrible. on low settings it was still only around 75fps but it didn't look too bad to be honest

then tried AoE2 HD at 165fps for the lols

lol I was messing around practicing workflow and stuff and decided what would be more ridiculous than hair, denim undies and a cape on the default Unreal mannequin. I don't think it was the right way to go about it because it absolutely smashed my FPS :tearsofjoy:. Hair, cape and undies look absolutely stupid because I only spent like 30mins on them and spent the rest of the time getting them to sort of work in Unreal. Learnt heaps though lmao.

RIP everyone who sold their Turing. I heard that ASICs are being made again but that will take time until they roll out. Consoles are slowly getting better availability because they only have one use, where as miners will always want more cards, that's even if production gets back to anything normal of previous generations. Until ASICs come out I can't see the GPU situation improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm having some issues with my PC, but I have no idea what the issue is or how to even explain it, so I was hoping someone here might have some insight.

The issue happens incrementally, often starting with really weird little things. On Word, I won't be able to click and highlight text (it just doesn't highlight), and holding shift + arrow does nothing, I have to press the arrow key repeatedly to highlight. On Chrome, I might not be able to switch tabs. Within probably 10-20 seconds, the issue escalates. Whichever window I'd been using seizes up - can't click, can't close it, can't save anything. On Word it might sometimes close the document but then get stuck trying to close the actual application. From here it affects the whole comp - can't click any windows, can't open task manager, the computer won't turn off, etc, to the point where I need to hold down the power button to turn it off.

This issue first popped up a few months ago, and it just seemed to go away. I installed some new drivers/updates around the time it went away so thought it might have been that, but now it's back and everything is current. This happens frequently - it's happened three times today in two hours of use, and sometimes happens again as soon as the computer restarts.

I've looked on CAM when this has happened and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in terms of usage/temp etc.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be happening, what to try, etc, that'd be super helpful. I don't even know what to Google at the moment so anything is helpful.

I'm having some issues with my PC, but I have no idea what the issue is or how to even explain it, so I was hoping someone here might have some insight.

The issue happens incrementally, often starting with really weird little things. On Word, I won't be able to click and highlight text (it just doesn't highlight), and holding shift + arrow does nothing, I have to press the arrow key repeatedly to highlight. On Chrome, I might not be able to switch tabs. Within probably 10-20 seconds, the issue escalates. Whichever window I'd been using seizes up - can't click, can't close it, can't save anything. On Word it might sometimes close the document but then get stuck trying to close the actual application. From here it affects the whole comp - can't click any windows, can't open task manager, the computer won't turn off, etc, to the point where I need to hold down the power button to turn it off.

This issue first popped up a few months ago, and it just seemed to go away. I installed some new drivers/updates around the time it went away so thought it might have been that, but now it's back and everything is current. This happens frequently - it's happened three times today in two hours of use, and sometimes happens again as soon as the computer restarts.

I've looked on CAM when this has happened and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in terms of usage/temp etc.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be happening, what to try, etc, that'd be super helpful. I don't even know what to Google at the moment so anything is helpful.

Is it otherwise still responsive? Done any other updates recently? If it's still responsive and you just can't type or click are there any USB or device errors in the hardware manager?

Is it otherwise still responsive? Done any other updates recently? If it's still responsive and you just can't type or click are there any USB or device errors in the hardware manager?
It's responsive at the beginning, but then within 20 seconds or so everything collapses and I can't even get into task manager. Nothing pops up as "not responding," it just completely seizes up. I can try to sneak a peak at hardware manager next time before it does so.

Updates mostly happen automatically so I'm unsure. I did a couple of manual updates after it started happening, but that hasn't fixed it.

More so interested in the device manager if everything remained responsive (as in the system isn't actually freezing) to see if there was no issues with mouse or keyboard drivers before doing anything more drastic. Though definitely sounds like a new Windows install job. As poo as it sounds I usually resort to that once I get some gremlins as I can't be bothered pulling my hair out. Sometimes running CCleaner helps as after a while of installing and uninstalling stuff you start to build up redundant registry entries and can sometimes cause random weirdness.

Last edited:
More so interested in the device manager if everything remained responsive (as in the system isn't actually freezing) to see if there was no issues with mouse or keyboard drivers before doing anything more drastic. Though definitely sounds like a new Windows install job. As poo as it sounds I usually resort to that once I get some gremlins as I can't be bothered pulling my hair out. Sometimes running CCleaner helps as after a while of installing and uninstalling stuff you start to build up redundant registry entries and can sometimes cause random weirdness.
Any quirks visible in hardware manager should also be visible in Event Viewer, so that may be worth looking at.

My first guess would have been a thermal issue but it sounds like that's been ruled out. Perhaps a scandisk on the boot drive and "SFC /SCANNOW", or "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" may pick something up, and could help avoid a rebuild.

Thanks all, a couple good ideas there. Would like to avoid a rebuild for obvious reasons so I'll give some of these a go and see what happens. These intermittent, difficult to pinpoint issues are always the worst to troubleshoot. :$
While you're at it, see if your SSD manufacturer has any scan tools available, or enable SMART in BIOS and use a tool like Speccy to see if there's any problems.

Eeeeekkkkk something like this happened to me on Saturday night. Felt like the system was failing one step at a time in slow motion. I was in Chrome and couldn't click a link but I could still move the mouse around. Then shortly under the LCD screen on my graphics card went back to its default animation and the system started to lock up. The LCD screen on my NZXT CPU pump kept my custom display going. Couldn't ctrl alt del or anything and the mouse finally locked. Had to hold the power button down. My old issue actually resurfaced after that and I couldn't power back on without cycling the PSU. After I turned it back on I checked the event log and the only error was me powering it down manually. Not even anything in the windows stability monitor logs. No issues since and it powered on perfectly without a hitch yesterday and worked fine.

So I don't know if this is a new issue or a progression of my old one. It's too intermittent to manually test, sometimes it happens every day (the needing to power cycle the PSU, not the freezing, that was a first) then it might not happen for a few weeks. I've got a PSU tester but I need to catch it in the act to be able to use it. The few times I've tested it I've got the correct ~12v off the 24pin. I'm starting to wonder if I've got dodgy caps on my mobo that's interfering with the "power ok" signal to the CPU. The sleeping LEDs on the mobo always work even if it has been off for a couple days so I know the PSU isn't completely discharging. I'm betting motherboard and maybe in the next few months I'll take the gamble of dropping cash on a new mobo and pray that's it. Might be a good excuse to finally get that x570 RPG dark hero....

Think I've got it - had a look at Reliability Monitor (always forget it exists) and found a bunch of CAM (specifically CAMLauncher) errors at the times everything seizes up. Of course, not sure if that's what sets it off or just a result of whatever's happening, but I can run without that process for a bit and see what happens. I like CAM so don't really want to uninstall but it's not worth this.

Think I've got it - had a look at Reliability Monitor (always forget it exists) and found a bunch of CAM (specifically CAMLauncher) errors at the times everything seizes up. Of course, not sure if that's what sets it off or just a result of whatever's happening, but I can run without that process for a bit and see what happens. I like CAM so don't really want to uninstall but it's not worth this.

What's showing up in the Reliability monitor for you? I've been reading some similar reports of similar symptoms, especially recently with Zen 3, with CAM being the culprit. CAM has a dubious reputation but so far for me I can't visibly fault it and it never appears in any logs. In fact the one time my system pooed itself on the weekend my CAM controlled Kraken LCD screen was the only thing that looked like it was still working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back