PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I regularly get Aftershock PC ads on FB and they constantly reply to people in the comments that they have stock which is why I thought of it. But if Jay or GN have suggested it then that might not be an option either in the future if everyone catches on lol.
Just had a look - Jayz' video recommending going pre-built to ensure you get a GPU at/near MSRP was posted a month ago

So this is the pre-build I am probably going to go for. My only concern is the airflow since the case seems a bit small. It isn't a big problem since I can just buy a bigger case at a later date if it is an issue.

This is the one I wanted to go for but after speaking to someone at my local PLE, I was advised against it since there is no way to know how long I would be waiting.

I was hoping to avoid going through Austin since I ******* despise the cretins and I don't think their pre-builds are as good as PLE. I was going to look at Aftershock but quite a lot of reviews said their customer service is horrible unless you go to them onsite and as I am in a different state, that is kinda difficult.

Whenever I look at prebuilds I always "ugh" a bit because there is always something I want to change. But that's just to be expected I think.

Stores like PLE and Scorpy build from their own supplies which is why dedicated integrators I think is the only option.

dwwaino Why don't we make our own dedicated integrator business, that services only bigfooty.

We can call it 'FigBooty Computer CyberDynamics' or 'Flancrest Enterprises'.

We get DI shipment and supplies at cost, and can service the community.

Finally got around to setting up vlans and s**t at home,

All my wireless devices are on different subnets to my wired devices, and my privacy invading alexa + other IOT devices are completely isolated.

networking is fun.

dwwaino Why don't we make our own dedicated integrator business, that services only bigfooty.

We can call it 'FigBooty Computer CyberDynamics' or 'Flancrest Enterprises'.

We get DI shipment and supplies at cost, and can service the community.
There's isn't enough hard liquor in the world to help deal with the customer support issues you'd have with the typical person on this forum :drunk:

I forgot what it was like trying to explain stuff to a total nuff the other day. When my missus previously worked from home I set her up with one of my laptop's and a couple old monitors. The monitors are probably around 10 years old each. Her new work gave her a Wyse to see if she could occasionally work from home. It only has two DisplayPorts for video out so I grabbed a couple DP to HDMI adaptors. They wouldn't work so I tried it on one of my TVs with the DP to HDMI adaptor and it worked. My take is older HDMI standards can't read a DP signal and needs to be HDMI 1.4 minimum. The adaptors say 4K compatible so maybe it was they which require minimum 1.4. They were all Officeworks had anyway. Either way, try explaining that to the tech illiterate. Even after I did some demos to help her understand she was still "....so why won't it work?". At one point it was apparently my fault because I used a different "blue cord" (ethernet cord..) than the one she was provided. Lol.

I forgot what it was like trying to explain stuff to a total nuff the other day. When my missus previously worked from home I set her up with one of my laptop's and a couple old monitors. The monitors are probably around 10 years old each. Her new work gave her a Wyse to see if she could occasionally work from home. It only has two DisplayPorts for video out so I grabbed a couple DP to HDMI adaptors. They wouldn't work so I tried it on one of my TVs with the DP to HDMI adaptor and it worked. My take is older HDMI standards can't read a DP signal and needs to be HDMI 1.4 minimum. The adaptors say 4K compatible so maybe it was they which require minimum 1.4. They were all Officeworks had anyway. Either way, try explaining that to the tech illiterate. Even after I did some demos to help her understand she was still "....so why won't it work?". At one point it was apparently my fault because I used a different "blue cord" (ethernet cord..) than the one she was provided. Lol.
It's bad enough dealing with clueless people in a controlled environment (ie. locked-down domain-joined devices), dealing with devices random dumbasses have free reign over can be absolutely horrifying. I've seen a guy glue his CPU and cooler to the motherboard socket because it was a tower case and he was scared it might fall out, and tried to say it wasn't his fault it was dead.

Were you using one DP port or two?

Apparently DP can push up to 1080p over HDMI using a passive adapter, but won't do more than that due to the way the optional aspect of the DP standard works (and the different voltages)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were you using one DP port or two?

Apparently DP can push up to 1080p over HDMI using a passive adapter, but won't do more than that due to the way the optional aspect of the DP standard works (and the different voltages)

Just the one. I had two monitors and two cables + adaptors to use (it has two outputs) but we were just trying to set the thing up so she could tell her supervisor yes or no that she could work from home if needed. The box on the adaptor said they could pass 4k signal which would mean they support HDMI 1.4. I couldn't find anything written in the box about the HDMI standard they were using and came with no documentation. It was all Officeworks had and I just assumed HDMI would always be backwards compatible 🤷‍♂️.

I don't know much at all about these little Dell Wyse client things so it was as much learning for me. At first the unit would power up then the LED would blink orange and not even post. I found a troubleshooting guide for the unit that said the LED blinking code was a video output issue. To confirm I plugged it in directly via DP to one of my gaming monitors and it worked. Then I tried it with the adaptor into a TV and it worked as well. I wasn't really sure why it may have been so I was guessing search terms and found some posts on boards from like 2012 of similar issues and back then (around the age of my old monitors I was trying) it seems like you could go HDMI into DP but not DP into HDMI as HDMI couldn't translate the signal. Obviously that's not the case any more but I have no idea what version of HDMI the monitors have so I just concluded that whatever ancient version they had couldn't read a DP signal like in those posts I found. What was strange too was the monitors were reading an input but couldn't get a signal.

It may have also been the adaptors themselves, but it's all Officeworks had. I'm not 100% sure. Now she's trying to see if her work will lend her a monitor or two otherwise we'll have to find the cheapest monitors we can find, presumably with HDMI 1.4 and cross fingers.

It's probably something straight forward but unless it's RGB and gaming I have NFI.

There's isn't enough hard liquor in the world to help deal with the customer support issues you'd have with the typical person on this forum :drunk:

It'll be fine, Once we get our 3080Ti's we'll file for bankruptcy , dissolve the company and never speak to each other again.

for 3 months.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with Windows 10 and sleeping?

every time mine goes to sleep, it closes all the running programs, and I have to restore chrome tabs like there was an improper shutdown

Just ordered new PC - 3080 w/ Ryzen 5 3600. I mostly play games from my backlog (circa 2015 currently) - so I'll be good for a while.

Upgrading from GTX970 w/ i5-6400 - this baby served me well but been having random weird hard reboots during games lately (dodgy PSU?) and not really worth fixing/upgrading. I'll just use it for study and programming.
After a five-month wait, it has arrived!

I'm half tempted to flog the GPU to be honest and make a decent profit - as I just don't have time for games right now (and I want to play Witcher 3).

After a five-month wait, it has arrived!

I'm half tempted to flog the GPU to be honest and make a decent profit - as I just don't have time for games right now (and I want to play Witcher 3).

Send me plz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back