Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Pearce Hanley says surgery will save career but mean he misses much of Brisbane Lions’ season

PEARCE Hanley says the hip surgery that will cruel his 2015 season will also save his AFL career.

The Brisbane Lions star admits he was shattered when told his hip injury was worse than first thought, and that he would be sidelined for up to five months instead of the initial diagnosis of 12 weeks.

But with typical Irish pluck, Hanley has declared the injury is “not the end of the world’’ and is grateful the hip problem is being addressed.

563929-46bd6af4-ae8f-11e4-a60e-64ee9e292a6c.jpg

Voted at number 37 in the players top 50!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-11/players-top-50-4031

37. Pearce Hanley

Brisbane Lions
Midfielder
Last year's ranking: -
Official AFL Player Rating: 44
Debut: 2008
Games: 96
NAB AFL Fantasy value: $558,000

Hanley enjoyed an incredible end to 2014, but will not be seen until the mid-point of this year after undergoing pre-season hip surgery. He is close to the Lions' most damaging player with his ability to run-and-carry the ball, elude defenders with a step or swerve, and then have the composure to finish off with a pinpoint pass or shot at goal. The 26-year-old averaged 30 disposals a game over the final nine rounds last season, yet it's the impact of those possessions that makes him so valuable. Often the first Lion tagged these days, he is capable of single-handedly winning games and is heading towards the peak of his powers.

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-11/players-top-50-4031#sthash.Uufo5SfS.dpuf

Pearce said on Fri night that round 12 was the conservative estimate on his return and that he hopes to be back by round 8.

Ess rd 8, St K rd 9, GWS rd 10 then the bye. Would be a good little 3 week stretch before the break.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Based on his past history where his Hamstrings have gone from 4-6 weeks down to 1 week, and the fact he was playing with a broken hand because, you know, whatever...I wouldnt be shocked if he got the all clear by Round 8...
He has bounced back quickly in the past but with this type of injury I think the Lions will be ultra conservative. The detail he went into on Friday night was remarkable - especially considering it was both left and right hips

He has bounced back quickly in the past but with this type of injury I think the Lions will be ultra conservative. The detail he went into on Friday night was remarkable - especially considering it was both left and right hips
Yeah cartilage is a real bugger to get to heal quickly. There's not a lot you can do to accelerate it simply because unlike muscles there's just not a lot of blood flowing through there to manipulate.

GumbyRules

Senior List
Sep 6, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have a thing called EDS type 3. So if it takes him 12 weeks for me any injury which i have had plently its 12 months... So envious to heal that fast.

You would think we would beat Saints and GWS in rounds 9 and 10 respectively so we wouldnt necessarily need to risk him for those games. I reckon he is going to come back after the game after the Bye.

I would disagree. If you think the Saints and GWS will likely be wins it'd be a perfect opportunity to get him in for both match fitness and to dust off the cobwebs provided he is a-ok. Then he has the bye week to recover.

Its probably not even a question of risk or getting match fitness etc. He'll likely play when he's given the ok by the dr, be it rd 8 or 12.

Merrett to miss QClash

Hanley is right on track to return in round 12 after progressing his running from the AlterG (anti-gravity) treadmill to doing laps around the Gabba in the past week.

Warren said with an ounce of luck, he could possibly return a week or two before that, but the classy Irishman would not be rushed.

"We're all very pleased with how he's tracking along. The original timeframe was the week after the bye and everything is on track for that," Warren said.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Back