Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it is easy to forget how good past players were but Akermanis was a freak of nature. We were so lucky to have him play for us!

Yeah Aker was incredible. Boss a great player but in terms of 'exciting' players Aker is way ahead.

1. Aker
Then I'd probably go...
2. Hanley
3. White
4. Brennan occasionally
5. Banfield for like 2 games

It's also easy to forget how many very, very good players we had in our golden era who perhaps weren't as skilled as Aker, Voss, Black, Brown and Lynch but were so reliable and allowed players like Aker to take risks and express themselves. Guys like Lappin, the Scott boys, Mal Michael, Leppa, Tim Notting, Shaun Hart, Clarke Keating, Craig McCrae, Pikey, Ashcroft, Luke Power and Daniel Bradshaw. The spread of talent is probably something we won't see again in Lions colours for some time, but who knows the current crop could be the beginning.

Hanley is not even close to Akermanis, Voss, Black, Lappin, Power, Notting, Johnson. These running and on ball players were devastating. Hanley would have struggled to hold a regular spot in the Brisbane side cira 2001-2003

No wonder he left! Can't even get his name right around here!
It was Handley, guys, Handley, so try to remember that when discusting him in the future.

If I had me "druthers" to choose out of the two, I'd druther we still had him than the other.

Maybe. My thinking goes like this:

1. Would Aaron Shattock have been an automatic selection in the Brisbane Lions sides that Hanley played in? Answer: Yes

2. Given his unquestionable skill as a footballer would Shattock have been an integral part of those teams? Answer: Yes

3. Did Aaron Shattock play 57 games in a team where competition for selection was fierce and one that many will argue was the greatest in VFL / AFL history? Answer: Yes

4. Did Pearce Hanley play 129 games in a team that was basically down the bottom of the ladder for his entire time at Brisbane? Answer: Yes

5. Does Aaron Shattock have a Premiership Medal? Answer: Yes

If they were race horses, I would suggest that Aaron Shattock spent his entire career competing at Group 1 level, while Hanley was an honest handicapper who picked up a couple of wins in town, but never featured in Group or Listed races.

I think I am going to stick with my original view that Aaron Shattock > Pearce Hanley

1. Would Aaron Shattock have been an automatic selection in the Brisbane Lions sides that Hanley played in? Answer: Yes

2. Given his unquestionable skill as a footballer would Shattock have been an integral part of those teams? Answer: Yes

3. Did Aaron Shattock play 57 games in a team where competition for selection was fierce and one that many will argue was the greatest in VFL / AFL history? Answer: Yes

4. Did Pearce Hanley play 129 games in a team that was basically down the bottom of the ladder for his entire time at Brisbane? Answer: Yes

If they were race horses, I would suggest that Aaron Shattock spent his entire career competing at Group 1 level, while Hanley was an honest handicapper who picked up a couple of wins in town, but never featured in Group or Listed races.

I think I am going to stick with my original view that Aaron Shattock > Pearce Hanley
(On on of those points)
Having a premiership medal doesn't mean Shattock is better than Hanley, it just means that he had a better team.

It's also easy to forget how many very, very good players we had in our golden era who perhaps weren't as skilled as Aker, Voss, Black, Brown and Lynch but were so reliable and allowed players like Aker to take risks and express themselves. Guys like Lappin, the Scott boys, Mal Michael, Leppa, Tim Notting, Shaun Hart, Clarke Keating, Craig McCrae, Pikey, Ashcroft, Luke Power and Daniel Bradshaw. The spread of talent is probably something we won't see again in Lions colours for some time, but who knows the current crop could be the beginning.

Don't want to take the thread off topic but would just like to say well done for including Hart.

Tremendous team first player who is very underrated IMO......so glad he won a Norm Smith medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hanley is not even close to Akermanis, Voss, Black, Lappin, Power, Notting, Johnson. These running and on ball players were devastating. Hanley would have struggled to hold a regular spot in the Brisbane side cira 2001-2003
Hanley v Akermanis (and any other Brisbane Lions you see in the tribute clip).
He is light years away from Akermanis.

Hanley v Akermanis (and any other Brisbane Lions you see in the tribute clip).
He is light years away from Akermanis.

great stuff, I suspect Aker has 10 - 15 metres on Hanley him in range. but that aside I would say that there wasn't much in that Hanley was incapable of,
I think Hanley could have played on the wing in our three peat side, and would have been a regular, but that is my subjective view

great stuff, I suspect Aker has 10 - 15 metres on Hanley him in range. but that aside I would say that there wasn't much in that Hanley was incapable of,
I think Hanley could have played on the wing in our three peat side, and would have been a regular, but that is my subjective view

Lethal would have had him lining up for Suncoast Lions if he demonstrated the lack of two way running we saw this year.

You really went to all that effort?:drunk:
3KZ player rating method- if 3KZ likes player for no apparent reason, inflate footballing ability 10x.

3KZ player rating method- if 3KZ likes player for no apparent reason, inflate footballing ability 10x.

It's called Hawksley's Law.

Seriously, apart from perhaps two seasons, Hanley's career is pretty overrated.

Sure he got there in the end with a couple of good seasons, but his first 4-5 years were very average as one would expect from a guy learning the AFL caper for the first time and his final season was absolute putrid to the point that it was one of the worst and definitely the most self-indulgent season from any single one player I have ever seen in my life, Lions player or otherwise.

Hanley just does not even come close to being in the same conversation when discussing comparisons with Akermanis.

Sure he got there in the end with a couple of good seasons, but his first 4-5 years were very average as one would expect from a guy learning the AFL caper for the first time and his final season was absolute putrid to the point that it was one of the worst and definitely the most self-indulgent season from any single one player I have ever seen in my life, Lions player or otherwise.

Hanley just does not even come close to being in the same conversation when discussing comparisons with Akermanis.
"I never liked him anyway"

I

I don't disagree with this.
My original post, (which I think prompted 3KZ's riposte) was that Hanley was in the conversation (along with Darryl White) as 'most skilful'. That is subjective and I don't resile from it but for clarification purposes, all three of those players were capable of things with the football that I have seen from few others.

I'm not sure that anyone was suggesting that Hanley had achieved, over his career, or indeed in any particular year, what Aker had I certainly wasn't.

I like you as a poster, but I have had to psychologically inflate your posting ability significantly more than that so that you don't seem too out of place in my pantheon of Great Commentators on Things Lion. ;)

Last edited:

As ever, Dylan12 nails it!

It's called Hawksley's Law.
I had Hawksley-Charman Syndrome. It's a recognised disorder. Fortunately I was cured by regularly purging with Sheldon-Johnstone Anti-Bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back