Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hanley v Akermanis (and any other Brisbane Lions you see in the tribute clip).
He is light years away from Akermanis.

That's one hell of a highlights reel isn't it?

For me, the power,penetration and accuracy of his kicking off both right and left feet is unparalleled.

For sheer brilliance you would be hard pressed to find a more amazing 15 minutes by any other player you can think of.

That's one hell of a highlights reel isn't it?

For me, the power,penetration and accuracy of his kicking off both right and left feet is unparalleled.

For sheer brilliance you would be hard pressed to find a more amazing 15 minutes by any other player you can think of.
Absolutely. The only player in that side that had the same penetration was Tim Notting when he got onto one, but Akermanis used to belt it a mile with either foot, off a step, under immense pressure or all of the above on a fairly regular basis.

P.S. It's good to see whatshisname's thread being put to good use. That said, if I was the boss, I would probably move most of the last couple of pages to the Akermanis thread.

Last edited:

Expected more from Hanley to be frank , we invested a lot in him and I thought for one he believed passionately in the lions. As a leader amongst boys his attitude and running to Gold Coast because it was hard work is a let down at best

I'm genuinely curious to see how he goes next year. His excuse for leaving us was he was suffering loser's fatigue, and opted to go to GC - so that's one thing. He's also said he's going to be playing with the best full forward, best midfielder and best defender - well since then we've heard Ablett has asked to be traded. I can only imagine what dynamic Ablett wanting out is going to add to the team - will he be committed for the season? Will he still want to be there, or will they actually ask again in 2017 like what has been reported? Oh, and Malceski has retired too. There goes 210 games of experience out the door.

It's going to be a very very interesting season for GC. I wish him well, but I doubt it's going to get any better.

Not a fan of bagging ex players if they have really put some effort in but that article makes me wanna strangle Pearce.

'Expected too much from senior players'. Are you ******* serious.

'Senior players didnt get the support they needed'. Ok ill give you that. But seriously you were a senior player that done next to nothing all year.

Gold coasts fitness guru. Lol. How did he go with Omeara and didn't they have a more injury riddled year then us?

I was fine with the hanley move. But this smacks of the self intitled brat that he is. Now im even happier with it as i have a feeling Port are in for a 'sack the coach' type year.

Now that my melt is over. Thanks for the memories Pearce.

This line takes the cake:

But I was trying, I was definitely trying my hardest, I was just plain and simply out of form and couldn’t find my way back.

Give us all a break.

Hanley's overall display reeked of a player that for the most part put in less than 100%, was consistently petulant and more than once threw the toys out of the cot during games. If Pearce is remotely honest with himself, he would acknowledge anything other than trying his hardest as it was evident to all to see that that is simply untrue.

Better yet, Pearce has the gall to insult us, Gold Coast and the wider AFL community that saw any game he played throughout season 2016 that he gave anything close to his hardest.

And then this:

I think they expected more from their senior players at Brisbane and there was a lot of pressure put on the senior players

No s**t Pearce.

Tell me one other AFL club or one other team sport in the world Pearce, where that is not the case?

The senior players are only the most experienced, highest paid and generally the best players on any team sports list, yet that shouldn't come with expectation and pressure.:rolleyes:

Pearce, you are absolutely deluded and thank god your s**t attitude and s**t outlook have been moved on.

Again, similar to recent articles about Josh Green, this article smacks of the self entitled campaigners guys like Hanley, and Green are and why them being moved out of the club will be so beneficial for our club long term so that their s**t attitudes and negative influences will be removed from the multitude of impressionable and professional youngsters on our list.

Thank god they are gone.

Sadly for us, Rockliff is still there though.:mad:

Every clubs has campaigners, there's just 17 clubs in the league better at managing them. Not exactly why you'd be angry with Rockliff seeing out his last year.(I think there's a very good chance a contract extension happens next season) With everything that's happened, I'm confidently backing in the new coaches and supporting staff to help change him around. Rockliff's failed the club and the club has failed him in my eyes.

Full article:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/ab3a20138e08dfcad1249e2b12cc95cb
GOLD Coast recruit Pearce Hanley was traded from Brisbane after a challenging year.

He sits down with Andrew Hamilton to explain why he had to move, whether he really did have “losers fatigue”, Tom Rockliff rumours, the target on his back in the next Q-Clash and why he won’t go surfing on the Gold Coast.

ANDREW HAMILTON: Pearce, you finally made it to the Gold Coast. You thought you were heading there all along didn’t you, courtesy of a slightly misleading video former Lions recruiter Gubby Allan showed you when he came to your home back in Mayo?

PEARCE HANLEY: “Yeah, I was shown a video, it had the Gabba, South Bank, a City Cat and then the rest was beaches so yeah I think the wool was pulled over my eyes on that one.’’

You are adamant you won’t be learning to surf. Why?

“I don’t like sharks. They are telling me they are not down here but there would be definitely some floating around. I will be just going waste-deep and only for recovery.’ I won’t be surfing.’’

Can you tell us when you first started to think about the move and then how it unfolded from there?

“I had a good start to the year and then I got injured against Collingwood and then carried that injury for a few weeks and from there my fitness and my form fell. I put a lot of pressure on myself and I was trying to fight my way out of that form slump and I just couldn’t do it.

“After I went through that hard time I was thinking was Brisbane going to be the best place for me in the future? Was it going to be the best for my football and to get the best out of myself and that’s when I started to think about the change.’’

79f4ce2dd54ba0c4d0a736c6c3804822

Gold Coast recruit Pearce Hanley in his new club’s colours. Picture: Regi Varghese
How did you feel when you heard the “losers fatigue” comment made by Lions’ list manager Peter Schwab after you asked to be traded? And is it true?

“No, not at all. If I thought I could play good football and enjoy myself at Brisbane, because I have for nine years and I haven’t been part of a very successful team for nine years, I would still be there. To hear that in the media was extremely disappointing, especially when I hadn’t received any contact from the club. I think that was more a guess from them as to why I was going. I had my reasons and it had nothing to do with losers fatigue at all.”

Pearce, I have said from day one that you would become the best Irish import the game has seen, but you haven’t got there owing to some injuries and form slumps. Is it too late? Have we seen the best of you?

“No way, and I think that is one of the main reasons why I have moved to the Gold Coast because they are very adamant that they see my best football in front of me, and so do I. Last year is going to be my fire to prove that and to drive myself to keep improving.”

You were a rogue when you came here, you admitted that the first couple of years you weren’t as professional as you could have been and then it clicked and you produced some brilliant footy. Then it seemed as if you had fallen out of love with the game this year. Do you have to find the balance between enjoyment and professionalism?

“I think there definitely is a balance to be found there. Last year, when I was going through the form slump, I had nothing outside of football. I was that dedicated to getting back to playing better that I put too much pressure on myself and I just forced things. I went away from the things that made me a good player.

“I definitely need to strike a balance this year. Another main reason why I came down was the Suns’ strength and conditioning coach Justin Cordy, I am excited to work with him and I believe fitness is the key to getting back to playing the footy I want to play.’’

You have said you thought former captain Tom Rockliff was unfairly reported on this year. I’ve also been critical of you, too. Do you feel that was justified or unfair some of the stuff that’s been written about you?

“Probably not. I think they expected more from their senior players at Brisbane and there was a lot of pressure put on the senior players. And I don’t think they were given the support they should have had. I have read that I looked uninterested which is probably the opposite. I think I was trying too hard and I started to get down on myself and they may have made me look uninterested.

“But I was trying, I was definitely trying my hardest, I was just plain and simply out of form and couldn’t find my way back. In terms of Rockliff, he is that good of a player that people expected more from him. In terms of maybe not turmoil, but when things aren’t going well, the finger does get pointed and unfortunately for Rocky for a time it was at him.’’

1f29fbb7cbcb6b2a578055557d1e4929

Pearce Hanley couldn’t produce his best form last season.
Tell me about life outside footy. You mentioned you had nothing there for a while. But I know you are mad on EPL and Connor McGregor I believe. And then there’s your old club Mayo. It could have been the best year of your life, they made the final but it didn’t quite happen?

“I have a keen interest in how Mayo are going and I always get asked every year to come back and play for just one year and as good as that sounds and as good as Tadhg Kennelly’s fairytale was, I don’t think it could be as easily done as that. He had already won his premiership. I would like to win one of them before I go try to win one with Mayo.

“But yes, it was devastating this year, they got to another final and had another loss. They just can’t get over that final hurdle and it is hard to watch.’’

Do you feel part-Australian, it has been a long time and a big part of your life?

“Not at all. Probably when I talk to my family they say I sound Australian, but talking to any Aussies and they say my accent is still as strong as ever. I definitely don’t think I’m becoming Australian, I still burn every time I go out in the sun, I’m still not down with the lingo, I don’t talk like an Australians just yet.”

802e2da638ea3d73a1b6da9722e7e155

Pearce Hanley is hoping to regain his best form for his new club.
OK, so how about this. Are you a footy fan yet? You were an athlete learning a game that gave you a chance to be a professional. Are you now the guy who watches five games every weekend?

“Yeah, I have become a footy buff. Actually I am a sports buff and I watch all sports, but I watch as much footy as I can, I watch all the shows and read all the news. Not so much this year because I try not to listen to too much bad publicity and a lot of it was bad when it came to me, but I’m definitely a student of the game, I am always learning.”

Your Q-Clash record is extraordinary. What is it going to feel like going against these guys?

“Absolutely no different. You go hard in training and tackle hard so I’ve competed against them all before. I imagine come the Q-Clash it won’t be any different.

“I hope don’t have a target on my head but I imagine I probably will. So we will see. But what happens on the field stays on the field. I am excited to play against them but mostly I am excited to play for the Gold Coast against every team, Brisbane will be no different.’’

Loved Pearce and the pace and excitement he brought to the Lions. However, moving to the Suns was the right move at the right time for both Pearce and the Club.
As a matter of interest, what did we get back for that Trade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Pearce and the pace and excitement he brought to the Lions. However, moving to the Suns was the right move at the right time for both Pearce and the Club.
As a matter of interest, what did we get back for that Trade?

The pick we traded for Charlie Cameron and a minor pick downgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back