Traded Pearce Hanley [traded with pick 19 to GC for Port's 2017 first round pick and pick 22]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like the proposed Hanley deal on the AFL website 1 little bit
You're kidding. It's a top ten pick if Port Adelaide miss finals. Could even be as low as 6th or 7th. The trade only bites us if Port Adelaide finish Top 4 somehow (even then it only really becomes a loss if all we end up getting is Pick 17 or Pick 18).

Let's be honest here, Hanley is essentially cooked. Woeful season. 2015 wasn't flash either. I see him slowing right down; might only have 2 seasons left. Jordan Lewis should be worth about the same looking forward with the future in mind IMO, yet Hawthorn will end up with only a packet of chips for him essentially. We're jumping off Hanley at the right time - there's a reason no other club would offer a first rounder for him by himself. A club in contention would offer a pick in the 20s for him, but nothing higher than that. The only reason Gold Coast can chuck two second rounders at this is because they'll have a stack of picks due to Bennell, Dixon, O'Meara & Prestia all leaving in the last two years - a quality player who actually wants to play for them is worth more to them than it would be at a normal club.

We're rebuilding. We need decent picks for the next three years still at the draft. Port's first rounder in 2017 is a good move for us.

I think its ok.

We go back 2 spots & get a future from port who hopefully will be awful again next year giving us top 10 for hanley.

The win win comes from port using 2 first rounds this draft thus ending their Rd1 pick trade embargo issues. Seems ok from GC point of view too they give up 2 2nd round picks as they were reluctant to use 10

Think it works hope it goes through

We don't have trade embargo issues

The rule only dates from when it came in, not years preceding it. And in that time we traded our first from last year thats it. We need to draft 2 of our next 3 first rounders.

We don't have trade embargo issues

The rule only dates from when it came in, not years preceding it. And in that time we traded our first from last year thats it. We need to draft 2 of our next 3 first rounders.

Ok in that case im stumped as to why port do that deal.

The lack of top draft picks in last few years has the list unbalanced?
Kenny going all in now cos hes worried about his job?

Doesnt sound like many port fans are keen on it. There has to be some sort of method to the madness

Ok in that case im stumped as to why port do that deal.

The lack of top draft picks in last few years has the list unbalanced?
Kenny going all in now cos hes worried about his job?

Doesnt sound like many port fans are keen on it. There has to be some sort of method to the madness

It surely can't be the whole picture. Our club seems to have been brought in as a 3rd party facilitator and come out of it with clearly the worst deal. Why would we even bother?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is my thought on why it could potential be a good deal for port.

Im actually on the fence with this deal for port but ill do my best to find the silver lining.

First thing off the bat, this draft is a really deep Midfielders draft, you will be finding quality players all the way down to 30 easy.
if this trade goes through Port will have Picks: 9,19,30. That is a VERY strong position to be into really nail this draft bring in quality players on Draft money.
Port is in a List Reshuffle faze NOT a rebuild. so if the club was willing to put names like Harlett on the table this year it could be safe to assume they may just do the same this next year.
Only one thing is different, now clubs have a YR to plan for it, i would fully expect Port would be looking for a top 10 pick next year for Hartlett, something clubs where unable to offer this year.

attentively as i mention above bringing in three quality players who can replace some more highly paid seasoned players frees up $$$.

alas enter FA into the picture.

picks 22 and 30 for Handley is overpaying quite a bit. Brisbane the winners. Port they have a bad year next year and give away a low pick they will be kicking them selves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back