Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Now that he's officially signed, he gets his own roster thread.

pearce_hanley_-_13.jpg

Name: Pearce Hanley
Club: Ballaghaderreen
County: Plays for Mayo, was born in Meath.

Other Facts of Interest: He won the Ron Barassi medal two years ago for best player of the Under 17 International Rules series in 2005.

AFL.com.au said:
Link to Original.
Lions sign promising Irish junior
THE BRISBANE Lions look set to welcome the arrival of another Irish recruit, with Mayo teenager Pierce Hanley’s team manager John O’Mahony confirming that the talented young player has accepted a two-year contract from the Queensland club.

The Lions already have Colm Begley on their books.

Hanley’s imminent departure is a big blow to his county as, unlike previous Irish recruits, he was already making an impact at senior level and had played a crucial role in the county’s senior football campaign.

Speaking to Irish newspaper the Evening Herald, O’Mahony admitted that although he wished Hanley the best for his future, he couldn’t help but be disappointed at losing the young star.

“As I said so many times, he had a big future ahead of him playing for Mayo. He has come up through the ranks and starred at minor (under-18) and under-21 level,” O’Mahony said.

“You would have been looking forward to him progressing in his career, but that’s on hold certainly. Obviously we wish him the best of luck but he is a loss to us, no doubt about it.”

The news comes just weeks before the GAA and the AFL are due to meet to discuss and revival of the international rules series and the scouting issue.

However O’Mahony, who is one of the highest profile county managers in Ireland, believes there is not much the GAA can do to halt the march of young players Down Under.

“The frustrating thing from a GAA point of view is that they cannot compete with the professional game. It’s not an even playing field.”

International rookie

pearcehanley.jpg

Summary:

* pick 38 in the 2007 rookie draft (#37)
* elevation to senior list (#69)
* debut: round 21 vs Carlton (#74)
* 2008 review (#106)
* elevation to senior list (#120)
* pick 95 in the 2009 draft (#150)
* staph infection (#186)
* 2010 review (#253)
* guernsey number 11 (#258)
* on overcoming hamstring injuries (#341)
* 2011 review (#402)
* International Rules (#413)
* 2012 review (#506)

Contract Status: 2012 -> ?

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2008: =35th (0 votes)
2009: =33rd (0 votes)
2010: 25th (6.5 votes)
2011: =4th (32.5 votes)
2012: 3rd (28.5 votes)

Coaches' votes:

Tribunal Record:

* round 15, 2010 - first offence for engaging in a melee ($1600 reduced to $1200)
* round 18, 2011 - first offence for making negligent contact with an umpire ($1200 reduced to $900)

Re: Pierce Hanley

A couple of quotes from GAA Boards about him.

ross matt said:
All boundary slagging aside young Hanley is some footballer. Saw him first hand in the u-21 Connacht Final this year and he was (as Spectator pointed out) devastating. Big, strong, fast and skillful with great maturity and awareness. If I'm not mistaken I think he was only minor last year. Big loss to GAA but in fairness to him a professional contract in Oz is a chance of a lifetime.

Fishead_Sam said:
He played against Cavan & Down & one of the few Mayo players to shine on both days, was on the under-21's also plays for Ballaghadeereen who are running riot in Mayo. He is what a very high percentage of Mayo fans (from what I cant tell) believe is our best & most natural forward in decades.

What is his talent and potential compared to the other irish youngsters signed by the other clubs this year. Is he the best irish prospect? Also where do u think he'll play next year? Back, mid or forward?

What is his talent and potential compared to the other irish youngsters signed by the other clubs this year. Is he the best irish prospect? Also where do u think he'll play next year? Back, mid or forward?

I do not expecting him to get anywhere near AFL level in his first year. Other Irish guys have been able to, but if we go into this expecting him to do that we are setting ourselves up for a fall IMO

From the reports above, i would expect him to play forward...

You got him, eh? Good job, looking forward to the Colm/Pierce vs. Marty/Kevin rivalry for years to come. :p :thumbsu:

In terms of talent, he has been dominating at senior level at an age where most kids are playing lower grades.

I've got a few mates over in Ireland who are fanatical Gaelic supporters. They still believe Murphy is the one that got away - was easily pick of the bunch.

They do have high wraps on Hanley though. :thumbsu: As TBD said, one of the few who were recruited from the senior leagues (may have been the first).

I am happy to drive the bandwagon for Pierce. I am shotgun on Colm's bandwagon so there may be some synergies there that can be acheived. I do however reserve the right to relinguish the post if we draft Rioli as that bandwagon could require my full time attention earlier on.

BTW I do like Wayne although I think we should go a little bit more Ocker. Maybe "Wayno".

Well, Brendan Murphy arrived today in Sydney (reported on Sports Tonight), where is Handles?

Was raining all afternoon/evening here.

Training may have been cancelled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Begley's flight of fancy
4:16 PM Fri 9 November, 2007
Brought to you by Laine Clark

IRISH import Colm Begley failed to return from his homeland with any Gaelic football silverware - but he did arrive in Australia with something very valuable to the Brisbane Lions.
Begley spent his off-season break playing in Stradbally's failed bid to win the Laois County championship final.
And he flew home with the Lions' new Irish recruit Pearce Hanley.
The 18-year-old arrived in Brisbane on Friday with Begley, keen to follow in the footsteps of his travelling companion who has quickly earned a reputation in their homeland for his AFL exploits.
Known for his blistering speed and silky ball disposal for Gaelic football club Mayo, Hanley has been signed on an international rookie contract.
Hanley cited Begley and Sydney's Irish star Tadhg Kennelly as role models.
"I'm just looking to making the most of an opportunity to become a professional sportsman," a bleary eyed Hanley said.
Picking Begley's brain during the flight, Hanley received a crash course on AFL and said he was bracing himself for the speed of the game.
The 184cm, 81kg Hanley first caught Brisbane's attention when he received the Ron Barassi Medal as Ireland's best player in the third Under 17 International Rules Test at Fremantle in April, 2006.
But the Lions did not formally approach Hanley until Brisbane football manager Graeme Allan travelled to Ireland in July.
Hanley is expected to slot into half-back as he begins his AFL education.
He will meet the Lions players on Saturday and start pre-season training on Monday.
Big things are expected from Hanley after defender Begley's meteoric rise.
Begley, 21, has blown coach Leigh Matthews away due to his remarkable transformation from an amateur Gaelic footballer into an AFL professional in less than two years.
Despite only picking up an Australian football for the first time in 2006, Begley became a permanent fixture at Brisbane in 2007 and played 20 games to earn the Lions' Rookie of the Year award.
Begley may have helped kick-start Hanley's AFL education but a much richer source awaited the Irishman in Brisbane.
Hanley has temporarily moved in with Lions legend and assistant coach Craig Lambert and his family.

Link

AFL all Irish to recruit Pearce Hanley
Article from:
By Jim Tucker
November 09, 2007 11:00pm

JETLAGGED Lions recruit Pearce Hanley yesterday said the AFL trail blazed by Irish countrymen Tadhg Kennelly, Marty Clarke and Colm Begley would drive him when he felt homesick.
Hanley, 18, arrived in Brisbane at breakfast time yesterday and had a Sherrin in his hands by late morning as he started coming to terms with his plunge into the unknown.
"I've never played a proper game of Aussie Rules but seeing Colm and others make it out here is massive encouragement to keep at it," the 1.84m Hanley said.
"A lot of young Irish players now think about coming over.
"For me, the fact I could concentrate fully on playing sport meant I couldn't turn down this offer from the Lions.
"I like the physical part with the tackling and the reward of a mark but it's all new so I'll find out plenty when I get to training for the first time."
Hanley, from the small dairy town of Ballaghaderreen in County Mayo, chewed the ear of Lions rookie of the year Begley on the flight from Dublin.
"Pearce is asking the same questions I did when I first arrived at the Lions," Begley said.
"Dedication and a good mindset are very important to deal with the huge learning curve of new skills and the unfamiliar bounce of the ball at high speed.
"Basically, you start from scratch so you don't bring in any bad habits.
"There is a youthful, positive atmosphere at the Lions and that's going to help a young guy like Pearce too."
Gaelic football is played with a round ball and Hanley's speed and use of the ball had him rated as one of his county's most exciting prospects.
Hanley is to live with Lions assistant coach Craig Lambert and his family while he settles into Brisbane life.

hanleypd4.jpg

No doubt he has the frame for footy:thumbsu:, will fill out nicely! Sounds like he doesn't mind the physical stuff either. Interesting to see how quickly he picks up the oval ball considering the "silky skills" comments from the lions website. Looks a similar shape to Sherman and he will probably play a similar role running off half back. Leigh has a good rep of developing some very good footballers running out of the backline (CJ, Aka, Adcock, Begley!). They learn the game and accountability a lot quicker watching the footy come in, as opposed to playing forward and focusing on where to lead etc.. Looks like we're building a pretty competent bunch of half back runners/midfielders! Best of luck Pierce!:cool::thumbsu:

Did Courier Mail get his name wrong? It is Pierce and not Pearce isn't it?

Looks like Handles was kitted out and then sent upstairs for a photo shoot (the cricket must have been on, otherwise it would have been the obligatory pic on the ground).

Link

Peace Hanley arrived in Brisbane on Friday morning and joined new teammate Colm Begley. He caught the eye of Australian recruiters playing in the under-17 International Series two years ago when he won the Ron Barassi Medal as the best player of the series. A Lions spokesman said Hanley had a similar build to Irishman Begley, who is 188 centimetres tall.
Like most of the Irish talent tried in Australia, he is said to possess "explosive pace and strong running".

Interesting that this article also spells his name Pearce (or Peace:rolleyes:)

Link

It's all Irish to Pearce
10:39 AM Thu 15 November, 2007
for lions.com.au

The Lions’ newest recruit Pearce Hanley is the latest in a growing trend of Gaelic footballers looking to make the successful transition to the AFL.
Hanley, who hails from the small dairy town of Ballaghaderreen in County Mayo, has already begun his steep AFL learning curve after being signed by the Lions on a two-year international rookie contract.
The 18 year-old, who only arrived in Australia on Friday, wasn’t phased as he fronted to media with team mate and fellow Irishman Colm Begley for the first time prior to Wednesday’s training session.
"I've never played a proper game of Aussie Rules but seeing Colm and others make it out here is massive encouragement to keep at it," Hanley said.

The sport is not entirely foreign to the Ballaghaderreen Gaelic player who regularly watched his homeland heroes play in the AFL on television back in Ireland.

He also played in the hybrid 2006 Under 17 International Rules Series in Fremantle where he first shot to prominence by winning the Ron Barassi Medal as Ireland’s best player.

"I like the physical part of football with the tackling and the fact that you get rewarded for taking a mark,” he said. “But it's all new and I'm sure to find out plenty more during training.”

Touted as a good user of the ball with excellent pace, Hanley showcased his skills with the oval ball for the first time at Monday’s training session at Churchie.

“Sometimes when I bounce the ball it will come back up to me. But the next time I try it won’t and I end up running after it,” Hanley laughed. “But I feel like I’m getting used to it.”

Fortunately, Hanley has an ally in compatriot Begley, who was in a similar position two years ago.

Begley arrived in Brisbane at the end of 2005 with a Gaelic football background and only a very basic understanding of the sport. His extraordinary development has seen him play 21 senior matches in his two seasons with the club.

It is no surprise that Begley has been the perfect sounding board for Hanley as he tries to prepare for transition from Gaelic football to the AFL.
"I have basically mentioned that dedication and a good mindset are very important to deal with the huge learning curve of new skills and the unfamiliar bounce of the ball at high speed,” Begley said.
“When I first starter, I found that the biggest challenges were definitely the speed of the game and the fact that you really can’t afford to make any mistakes.”
“But the good thing about it is that you get to start from scratch and you don’t bring in any bad habits with you,” Begley said.

hanleyte3.jpg

Handles was there. Was struggling a bit towards the end of the session (he looked buggered ) but I was very impressed. His handballing skills are good on both sides, and you can tell he wont run away from the contact. I took a few photos of him and of a few others so I will share if I can get them uploaded.

Pearce is definitely struggling at the moment. Don't know whether it is the heat or just the amount of work. He will get used to it - I wouldn't worry at all. It's been a pretty piss-poor summer so far. Will be interesting when it actually gets hot.

hanley1et5.jpg

hanley2kg0.jpg

However his name's spelt, how cute is his accent!
I've always had a soft spot for Irish, even though I could barely understand what he was saying! (Something about a pointy ball, chasing after it and the boys having a laugh!)
Can't wait to see him play :)

So what is his name? Pierce or Pearce?

Appears to be Pearce from all the correct sources I've seen.

Can a mod please change the title? Some douchebag got it wrong when he started the thread.

Appears to be Pearce from all the correct sources I've seen.

The Irish articles seem to call him Pierce and the Aussie articles call him Pearce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back