Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

For the sake of his longevity, it needs to be reserves. If our reserves play in the Bye as well thats two matches under his belt and he can come out flying after the break.
I don't think it will affect his longevity either way. I personally would rather him return through the reserves and I am certain the coaches are as well but they are running out of options to replace the injured players now. Don't be surprised if he is named this week and plays as sub before getting a full game next week in the reserves and then playing a full game against the Bulldogs.

I don't think it will affect his longevity either way. I personally would rather him return through the reserves and I am certain the coaches are as well but they are running out of options to replace the injured players now. Don't be surprised if he is named this week and plays as sub before getting a full game next week in the reserves and then playing a full game against the Bulldogs.

Playing sub wouldn't be conducive to building match fitness. Maybe start Pearce with the idea of subbing him? I'd prefer Pearce to play reserves than I would him being the sub.

Playing sub wouldn't be conducive to building match fitness. Maybe start Pearce with the idea of subbing him? I'd prefer Pearce to play reserves than I would him being the sub.
I would usually agree but he would probably only play half of the reserves game anyway. The club has a habit of playing returning players for only a half to start off with. Harwood for example played from the 2nd quarter onward in his return game in the reserves.

Pearce is most likely an exception due to the fact he is arguably our best player so who knows what will happen.

Pearce Hanley set to return for Brisbane following his recovery from hip surgery

PEARCE Hanley will bypass the reserves and leap straight into the senior side for his long awaited return from injury on Sunday.

Hanley’s return from hip surgery will be a lung-busting assignment in Brisbane’s clash with the hard-running Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium.

The County Mayo ball-magnet had surgery on his hips in February and the procedure revealed serious damage that had the potential to cut short his blossoming career.

The Lions vice-captain was expected to be sidelined until after the mid-season bye but will return ahead of schedule after powering through the last stages of his rehabilitation.

Pearce Hanley not expecting much in return to Brisbane Lions' line-up for GWS clash

The Irishman admitted whether or not he could run out a full game against the in-form Giants was "the money question".

"I haven't had a run in the reserves, but my last two weeks of training have been very hard, I've got a lot of Ks up in sessions and hard running as well so I think I'm ready to go," Hanley said.

Hanley's inclusion will at least give Brisbane another older head in a side stacked with rookie talent.

"We do have a very young side. While that's not an excuse we do lack a little bit of leadership," Hanley said.

"If I do bring anything on the weekend, it might not be much, but I'll definitely bring my leadership and voice out there."

Pearce Hanley admits he was drunk in his first two years at Brisbane Lions

Hanley said he was more concerned about having a drink than perfecting his kicking skills when he first arrived in Australia.

“I think I was drunk my first two years,” Hanley told reporters on Friday.

“I still had a great time and I think it’s made me who I am now. My professionalism has gotten a lot better and I’m really enjoying my footy at the moment and I’ve definitely pulled my head in.”

240869-775fe03a-26d3-11e5-8167-f00e54f05f28.jpg

Pearce Hanley’s family makes long trip from Mayo to witness Lions midfielder’s milestone 100th match

THE Gabba will have a decidedly Irish flavour for Sunday’s clash between Brisbane and Sydney with County Mayo’s Hanley clan in the grandstands.

The kin of Lions star Pearce Hanley have been on holiday in Australia for a few weeks to coincide with the 100-game milestone for the fleet-footed Brisbane midfielder.

Hanley’s mother Natalie, young brother Tommy and two sisters Myfanwy and Caoimhe have joined Pearce and younger brother Cian, who is on the Lions list as an international rookie, for a host of tourist activities including a trip to Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast earlier this week.

Leppitsch on Beams and Hanley

Leppitsch said Hanley could have played against the Kangaroos, but decided to take the cautious approach.

"We were worried that he hasn’t finished many games, thought he needed more training," Leppitsch said.

"There’s no point putting Pearce in if he’s going to be subbed off at half-time or feeling something halfway through the second quarter again.

"He just wasn’t confident enough, that’s all."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane’s Pearce Hanley doesn’t expect to cop much attention from Gold Coast players

BRISBANE star Pearce Hanley says his form does not warrant a tag from “baby brother’’ Gold Coast in QClash 10 on Saturday.

But the Suns are unlikely to make the same mistake twice when pride goes on the line at the Gabba.

The last time Hanley played in a Queensland derby, he produced the finest match of his career and one of the best individual displays from a Lionr in recent memory.

The Irishman racked up 45 disposals, nine marks and two goals in Brisbane’s 54-point Gabba win over the Suns in Round 18 last season.

Three Lions In Team of the Week

AFL writer Nathan Schmook has named the AFL Team of the Week for Round 23 and three Lions have made the cut:

PEARCE HANLEY (Half-Back) - A star in the midfield against the Western Bulldogs, Hanley is squeezed onto a half-back flank this week for balance. He had 35 possessions, seven clearances and booted two goals, including a smart banana snap out of a stoppage.

Player Reviews: Part Three

Despite spending the first nine rounds on the sidelines recovering from pre-season hip surgery, Irishman Pearce Hanley made a big impact on his return to the side in Round 10. His ability to break lines and use the ball with precision, as well as his capacity to lift and lead the team, makes him one of the most damaging players on the list. A star in the midfield against the Western Bulldogs, Hanley had 35 possessions, seven clearances and booted two goals, including a smart banana snap out of a stoppage. He had another handy 33 disposals and a goal against the Swans in his 100th game, as he returned to some of the best form of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back