JEDi 44

Club Legend
Feb 16, 2016
bevo's house
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
footscray bulldogs
good to see Bevo treating this season for what it is. Who deserves to be on the list come round one 2021

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The team balance here is so weird, even by Bevo's standards

It seems like we have 1 forward and 1 backman too many whilst not enough mids.

Backs:

Gardner
Cordy
Keath
Wood
Crozier
JJ
Daniel
Williams

Maybe JJ will play more on the wing?

Forwards:

Bruce
Naughton
Lloyd
Dale
Cav
Young
Wallis?

Inside Mids:

English
Bont
Macrae
Dunkley
Smith
Wallis to play more mid maybe?

Outside Mids:

Hunter
Maybe Suckling wing and half forward with Smith but then who's gonna chop out our big three in the middle

Very strange. No doubt the reduced quarters play into it. Maybe Our starting 4 in the midfield are comfortable with playing majority of game time so we're focusing on flexibility at either end.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The team balance here is so weird, even by Bevo's standards

It seems like we have 1 forward and 1 backman too many whilst not enough mids.

Backs:

Gardner
Cordy
Keath
Wood
Crozier
JJ
Daniel
Williams

Maybe JJ will play more on the wing?

Forwards:

Bruce
Naughton
Lloyd
Dale
Cav
Young
Wallis?

Inside Mids:

English
Bont
Macrae
Dunkley
Smith
Wallis to play more mid maybe?

Outside Mids:

Hunter
Maybe Suckling wing and half forward with Smith but then who's gonna chop out our big three in the middle

Very strange. No doubt the reduced quarters play into it. Maybe Our starting 4 in the midfield are comfortable with playing majority of game time so we're focusing on flexibility at either end.
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the backline because we've always only played 7 defenders, and having 8 with shorter quarters makes little sense. You'd suggest that one of Daniel, JJ or Williams will have to play further up the ground to help the mids.

My misso just gave birth to Scrag Jnr today so we will be watching the game tonight at the Royal Women's. Strange times to be welcoming a new human into the world. Hoping the boys can get a win tonight for this new Doggies fan.
Congratulations! Welcome to this brave new world, Scrag Junior.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My misso just gave birth to Scrag Jnr today so we will be watching the game tonight at the Royal Women's. Strange times to be welcoming a new human into the world. Hoping the boys can get a win tonight for this new Doggies fan.

Congratulations on baby Marcus Bontempelli ScragCity!

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s zero chance Gardner’s playing purely as part of his development.
We aren’t talking about dead rubbers in a 22 round season, this is Rd1 of a shortened season. Whether we’re confused by his inclusion or not, the coaches obviously see Gardner’s role in the team as being pretty important.

Who said "purely"? Not me.

Of course the coaches think he can play otherwise he wouldn't be on the list. The issue is trying to explain the litany of strange selections during the Beveridge era, where some players seem to be selected above others with far superior demonstrated form.
Occasionally the selections based on perceived potential have worked out ok in terms of long term player development but often they have hurt us badly in both the short and medium term from a team perspective because they have arguably cost us winnable matches and ladder position.

I think all of the listed emergencies have stronger cases for senior selection than Gardner.

Pep_x

Team Captain
Nov 15, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I haven't seen any of the pre season games but did Gardner's form suggest he would be a good match up for Cox tonight?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I haven't seen any of the pre season games but did Gardner's form suggest he would be a good match up for Cox tonight?
Gardner was good in the practice match. He's probably our best option for tonight, as Cordy doesn't have the reach, and this way Keath is freed up to intercept. A good team defence will stop Cox, all you need to do is block his run and he won't have any impact

Congrats to you both and welcome to the Scraglet.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry to intrude, do you guys expect Cavarra to make way for Lipinski next week?
We're going in VERY tall this week, so I would actually expect one of Gardner or Young to make way if anything. Depends on how everyone plays really.

We have Carlton next week (if it even goes ahead) who are missing a number of their talls in McKay, Curnow and now Kreuzer getting injured. I'd be surprised if we keep in this many talls again.

When we win tonight and end up on top of the ladder Sunday evening, the AFL should just call it a season and declare us the Premiers. :trophy:

If Gardner's in our best 22, irrespective of team balance, to quote Sargt Schultz: "I know nothing."
If we can celebrate Caverra's debut, surely we can get behind Gardner who's had a bumpy road on his AFL journey.

We're not blessed with lockdown defenders. I'd sent Gardner to Cox and tell him to stick to him, and never ever ever let him jump at the ball.
Cordy to Mihochek who plays tall but is Cordy's height. Wood to play a lock-down role on De Goey as much as possible, Keath to zone off and intercept as he's not great one on one.

Obviously we zone defence so players will rotate through opponents but at stoppages when we get to reset I'm guessing that's what we'll aim for in match-ups.

If we can celebrate Caverra's debut, surely we can get behind Gardner who's had a bumpy road on his AFL journey.

Footy supporters generally - and BF supporters in particular - make their mind up pretty quickly about players. One horror game in an unsuited role last year and he's obviously a spud who shouldn't be on our list. A WB (Whipping Boy) for life.

Now I'm not at all convinced yet that he'll have a long and successful career but let's at least give him a few games in defence to see what he's got to offer. Nor am I saying Bevo gets it right every time but so many here seem to know far better than twice coach-of-the-year Bevo that I wonder why they aren't all coaching AFL sides.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Footy supporters generally - and BF supporters in particular - make their mind up pretty quickly about players. One horror game in an unsuited role last year and he's obviously a spud who shouldn't be on our list. A WB (Whipping Boy) for life.

Now I'm not at all convinced yet that he'll have a long and successful career but let's at least give him a few games in defence to see what he's got to offer. Nor am I saying Bevo gets it right every time but so many here seem to know far better than twice coach-of-the-year Bevo that I wonder why they aren't all coaching AFL sides.
Honestly I never thought he had a chance at KPF, he's just not suited to the role. He was forced to play there, and as such had two utter dogshit games and that's all that is burned into our minds now. He deserves a shot to prove himself without unfair judgement. If he's just as crap down back, then at least we know he was given a shot (like Honey before him)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back