PED's in Poker?

Remove this Banner Ad

DoggyStyle

Club Legend
Dec 11, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The premise of the thread may be a little tongue in cheek, but considering this is Bigfooty and the AFL world as we know it is about to change, I am interested to know peoples thought on the following;

• Is there any such thing as a PED in poker?
  • Are there any specific rules for professional/major tournaments anywhere in the world where otherwise legal substances such as caffeine tablets or other stimulants are banned?
  • Could moderate or controlled doses of drugs like Cocaine or Amphetamines in skilled poker players provide an advantage through increase focus, attention, and or confidence/aggression?
I can personally vouch for the fact that alcohol is not a PED in poker, and I have played under the influence of THC, and although at the time I thought it assisted me with reading other players more effectively, my bank clearly showed otherwise. Whilst this is the case perhaps a more skilled player may have been more effective.
What are peoples thoughts?

I'd assume there are various stimulants (outside of your coffees, Red Bulls, etc.) that would extend alertness, allowing longer sessions. In terms of ones that sharpen focus or abilities, beyond what's normal for a specific individual, I guess it's possible (although the stuff Bradley Cooper was taking in the movie Limitless would seem purely fictional).

Stu Ungar may be a good example of what can be achieved in poker with the assistance of 'chemicals', although I get the sense he would have dominated without it.

Australian Rules football is a sport. Poker is a game, hence anything goes.

And alcohol didn't stop a drunk and obnoxious Scotty Nguyen from winning the 2008 WSOP 50k HORSE.

Adderall, Ritalin and other amphetamines are commonly used in the poker scene to enhance focus.

Probably makes more of a difference if you're playing 6+ tables online rather than for live play.

Adderall, Ritalin and other amphetamines are commonly used in the poker scene to enhance focus.
Heard Mike Matusow say in a recent 2+2 Pokercast interview that he has ADHD (which I've heard him admit before). He said although Adderall 'calms' him, it also makes it harder for him to pull the trigger on big decisions. So in his recent NBC HU win, he wasn't on the stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back