Peel Scratchmatch

Remove this Banner Ad

Because i find him impossible hard to categorise. what do you think his best position is?
As Wally described him. When we got him he seemed like an accumulator with some aggression and a lethal kick, but we haven't seen much of that Got caught trying to burst through packs in his early games, and then seemed to lose his way.

I think he needs to re-invent himself a bit to have any chance. Tucker may have shut the door on the more defensive mid position, and Bewley seems to have the same skill-set, so I would look at small, defensive forward. But not optimistic.

As Wally described him. When we got him he seemed like an accumulator with some aggression and a lethal kick, but we haven't seen much of that Got caught trying to burst through packs in his early games, and then seemed to lose his way.

I think he needs to re-invent himself a bit to have any chance. Tucker may have shut the door on the more defensive mid position, and Bewley seems to have the same skill-set, so I would look at small, defensive forward. But not optimistic.
A lot of his draft year footage showed him taking on the tackler in traffic. Because of his relatively strong body in junior footy he could get away with that. Not so in senior footy.
I agree with what you say about defensive forward. There are gaping opportunities there for someone -- anyone -- on our list to grab. Its just a matter of some fringe player grabbing their opportunity.

Not sure what others thought, but I was slightly disappointed with Meek. I was hoping he might be close to getting a run at AFL level but thought he was well and truly owned by the Eagles backup ruck. He is very mobile, but seems to get pushed around too easily for a guy his size.

Who do Peel play this week and can we just load up with B22 AFL side (including Fyfe) for a little confidence boosting, morale building “W”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do Peel play this week and can we just load up with B22 AFL side (including Fyfe) for a little confidence boosting, morale building “W”.
Ross said Fyfe definitely won't play, but some of the others like Sean Darcy and Reece Conca could play.

Not sure what others thought, but I was slightly disappointed with Meek. I was hoping he might be close to getting a run at AFL level but thought he was well and truly owned by the Eagles backup ruck. He is very mobile, but seems to get pushed around too easily for a guy his size.

Wasn’t that back-up ruck one if the best in SANFL last season?

Meek needs time to build strength and afl fitness. As long as he improves each season that is enough for me.

I would expect him to get beaten by a hardened 29 year old SANFL and former GCS ruckman. It is impressive what Sean Darcy has achieved TBH but I can fully understand the resigning of big Sandi, because Darcy’s fitness still needs further improvement. But his body work and tap work is very very good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to give some perspective. WC did have 15 AFL players playing Sunday. We had 11 but 3 of those were on reduced minutes, 2 also played JLT, and 3 others got injured apparently. Just further highlights our player availability issues. Our team should be sponsored by Selleys.

Preseason 1: East Fremantle v Peel Thunder

Event Location: Shark Park

Event Description:
East Fremantle v Peel Thunder
Match Times:
9am Colts
11.30am Reserves
2.15pm League
Bar, Food & Coffee facilities will be open.
Entry is free!

Anyone play?

Not 100% certain but I believe the result went:

Halftime: East Freo 5.3 v Peel 6.2
3/4 time: East Freo 9.5 v Peel 7.4
Full time: East Freo 11.5 lost to Peel 11.8 (Peel scored the match winning goal in the last minute of the game. No other details known).

Had a look at the second half
Windy conditions led to poor kicking and a decided advantage to the western end
Darby meek and jones all played with all spending time on ball and up forward
Matera was busy but like all players disposal was ordinary
Red haired youngster Schultz? Looks promising moves well nice size
Don't like to put a line through players and it was a tough day for the forwards but cam McCarthy just leaves you scratching your head. With cox and Taberner both out and the younger guys either not ready or injured is he the most likely to play against North because on what I observed he shouldn't be
Almost forgot North was pretty good looks to have added some size
Crowded is a goer but having watched him in last years pre season his disposal has not improved which is disappointing
Anyway good luck on Sunday and for the remainder of the season hoping to get along to have a look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back