Peel Scratchmatch

Remove this Banner Ad

Sully90 was following some dude on twitter who was there and should be able to give more info. Apparently North had leather poisoning

The best I could get from his comments were Giro, Meek, Crowden, and North were probably best on. Watson quite impressive in defence as well with Carter doing some nice things.

The best I could get from his comments were Giro, Meek, Crowden, and North were probably best on. Watson quite impressive in defence as well with Carter doing some nice things.
I could see Giro coming in for Ballantyne, or Colyer playing more in Ballantyne's role and North getting a run as a general mid.

Would like to know more about how Crowden went. If he gets to his full potential he could be interesting.

Meek will be a handy backup, but with our current ruck stocks, he may not inherit the earth.

I have questions:

1) did anybody get injured?
2) did the Freo players do well for Peel?
3) did Souths win?

1) Ballas
2) Knowone really knows but the word is Giro and North played well.
3) Who?

Edit: I don't know why i mentioned changes, clearly thought i was in a different thread.

Last edited:
1) Ballas
2) Knowone really knows but the word is Giro and North played well.
3) Who?

Changes:

In: Matera
Out: Ballas
4) did Peel play South Freo this weekend?

I could see Giro coming in for Ballantyne, or Colyer playing more in Ballantyne's role and North getting a run as a general mid.

Would like to know more about how Crowden went. If he gets to his full potential he could be interesting.

Meek will be a handy backup, but with our current ruck stocks, he may not inherit the earth.

I'd be keen to see how North does at AFL level as well, ditto with Valente but at this stage they may need to wait until someone needs a spell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw On Twitter Peel won their final pre-season game against Perth:
Peel Thunder: 13:11
Perth Demons: 13:10

Game was at 4:30pm - not sure if anyone made it along?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I went but I left at half time because it was the most frustrating football I have watched for a long, long time. It was like Peel had stolen Michelle Cowan's playbook from the last two seasons. The number of times they kicked backwards and across field in the backline only to be intercepted was a nightmare.

I had a feeling the superior fitness would win out, but I wasn't prepared to sit through it.

Drive down, sit through a quarter of the reserves being flogged, then a half of atrocious football and a long drive home.

That's an afternoon I'm not getting back! :)

I went but I left at half time because it was the most frustrating football I have watched for a long, long time. It was like Peel had stolen Michelle Cowan's playbook from the last two seasons. The number of times they kicked backwards and across field in the backline only to be intercepted was a nightmare.

I had a feeling the superior fitness would win out, but I wasn't prepared to sit through it.

Drive down, sit through a quarter of the reserves being flogged, then a half of atrocious football and a long drive home.

That's an afternoon I'm not getting back! :)
Soooo who played well... or maybe... who didn’t stink it up the most?

Soooo who played well... or maybe... who didn’t stink it up the most?
Honestly mate, I wouldn't give a rating to any of the players on what I saw, because it was just so dysfunctional as a whole everyone looked bad. It was 7 goals to 2 when I left, and we were lucky it wasn't more.

From what I saw, and bear in mind I am pretty bummed about the game so will probably be more negative than usual...

Both rucks, Jones and Meek were pretty ordinary. Won most of the hit outs but we were still getting smashed in the middle and both dropped marks they should have taken. I would have hoped they'd both be a cut above WAFL standard but they really weren't today.

Sam Switkowski tried hard. He has great pace and I am a big wrap for him but he made a lot of bad decisions and silly mistakes today - I think just part of the dysfunctionality of the team as a whole.

Our defence as a whole was too small and Perth looked like taking a mark every time it came in. Tobe Watson was absolutely killed by his man - number 68 I think it was for Perth. I like Tobe but he is not big enough or strong enough to be a key back and he played at full back today. Nyhuis was very quiet, Duman did a few good things but did not impose himself, and the Peel guys (Traye Bennel and Jackson Merritt come to mind) played really dumb footy.

Sam Sturt started well. He is quite physical for such a slight lad. In the first quarter he hit a pack hard and came off second-best. He was holding his wrist / arm and looked to be in a bit of pain. He came back on in the second and was limping so I suspect he got a corkie in the collision.

Hugh Dixon took one really nice mark and got a "Joe the goose" for a nice goal, but there was not much ball coming into our forward line so hard to judge.

North did not have the impact I thought he would have and we were well beaten in the midfield. He's a good kid, but the half I saw he was not great.

As I said, I am probably being overly negative - it was only a scratchie and I left at half time. The fact they won means they must have dominated the second half, but that will probably be fitness more than anything. I was hoping to see some semblance of the run and gun style that Freo played, but it was more like Freo circa 2016 - 2018 or AFLW Freo under Michelle Cowan.

I'm just going to sear that game from my memory and look forward to a Fremantle-like turnaround when the real season starts :)

Honestly mate, I wouldn't give a rating to any of the players on what I saw, because it was just so dysfunctional as a whole everyone looked bad. It was 7 goals to 2 when I left, and we were lucky it wasn't more.

From what I saw, and bear in mind I am pretty bummed about the game so will probably be more negative than usual...

Both rucks, Jones and Meek were pretty ordinary. Won most of the hit outs but we were still getting smashed in the middle and both dropped marks they should have taken. I would have hoped they'd both be a cut above WAFL standard but they really weren't today.

Sam Switkowski tried hard. He has great pace and I am a big wrap for him but he made a lot of bad decisions and silly mistakes today - I think just part of the dysfunctionality of the team as a whole.

Our defence as a whole was too small and Perth looked like taking a mark every time it came in. Tobe Watson was absolutely killed by his man - number 68 I think it was for Perth. I like Tobe but he is not big enough or strong enough to be a key back and he played at full back today. Nyhuis was very quiet, Duman did a few good things but did not impose himself, and the Peel guys (Traye Bennel and Jackson Merritt come to mind) played really dumb footy.

Sam Sturt started well. He is quite physical for such a slight lad. In the first quarter he hit a pack hard and came off second-best. He was holding his wrist / arm and looked to be in a bit of pain. He came back on in the second and was limping so I suspect he got a corkie in the collision.

Hugh Dixon took one really nice mark and got a "Joe the goose" for a nice goal, but there was not much ball coming into our forward line so hard to judge.

North did not have the impact I thought he would have and we were well beaten in the midfield. He's a good kid, but the half I saw he was not great.

As I said, I am probably being overly negative - it was only a scratchie and I left at half time. The fact they won means they must have dominated the second half, but that will probably be fitness more than anything. I was hoping to see some semblance of the run and gun style that Freo played, but it was more like Freo circa 2016 - 2018 or AFLW Freo under Michelle Cowan.

I'm just going to sear that game from my memory and look forward to a Fremantle-like turnaround when the real season starts :)
Really appreciate the write-up and the honesty mate.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for that. Never easy when the team is getting pumped and you’ve travelled a long way just to be there.

I hope Freo have been in Cam Shepherds ear over summer and Peel try to emulate what Freo are doing. Suppose The Wiggles now have this advantage with their stand alone WAFL team.

Sounds like a decent turn around in the second half - as much as fitness would have helped, they’re still mostly kids and I’m betting a couple took the game by the scruff of the neck!

Bring on the Freo vs GC SUNS game - feels like ages since round 1!

Thanks for that. Never easy when the team is getting pumped and you’ve travelled a long way just to be there.

I hope Freo have been in Cam Shepherds ear over summer and Peel try to emulate what Freo are doing. Suppose The Wiggles now have this advantage with their stand alone WAFL team.

Sounds like a decent turn around in the second half - as much as fitness would have helped, they’re still mostly kids and I’m betting a couple took the game by the scruff of the neck!

Bring on the Freo vs GC SUNS game - feels like ages since round 1!
Cam has been at a lot more training sessions throughout pre season so, if his ears weren’t blocked, we should see a different peel style.
Confidence does play a massive role (95%)in game style too!! Look at Essendon’s style?!!?

Thanks for the report mate. I'm glad to hear Switta's having a run around. I'll back him in to be back on the seniors soon enough.

Maybe we can take just as much out of Peel pre season hitouts as we did ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back