Peel Scratchmatch

Remove this Banner Ad

Great day ,great beer,great game and great company with Wigarus and wife plus Harry
Mora was moving like the thoroughbred he his.He played running half back.Great idea with his knee to have the play in front of him .
Josh Simpson is coming along in leaps and bounds.He was having a great time out there and it was fantastic to see him really enjoying his footy.You just wanted to grab him and give him a big hug and say well done son
A Pearce and Tanner both played well in the backline
Moller a good game in the ruck and Wood did some nice things including a nice goal into the wind
Grey,Duffy,Menegola had their moments but not enough of them
Sylvia was OK but with his pedigree should have torn it up
Crosier had limited game time but was excellent in what he did
Fantastic day for autograph hunters with Freo stars every where
Do your self a favour and get down there next week v Souths,a really enjoyable day

Great day ,great beer,great game and great company with Wigarus and wife plus Harry
Mora was moving like the thoroughbred he his.He played running half back.Great idea with his knee to have the play in front of him .
Josh Simpson is coming along in leaps and bounds.He was having a great time out there and it was fantastic to see him really enjoying his footy.You just wanted to grab him and give him a big hug and say well done son
A Pearce and Tanner both played well in the backline
Moller a good game in the ruck and Wood did some nice things including a nice goal into the wind
Grey,Duffy,Menegola had their moments but not enough of them
Sylvia was OK but with his pedigree should have torn it up
Crosier had limited game time but was excellent in what he did
Fantastic day for autograph hunters with Freo stars every where
Do your self a favour and get down there next week v Souths,a really enjoyable day

You left out great hamburgers Salim - 10.50 for a coke and a bloody great burger, Nice one! :thumbsu:

More pics of the game here: http://www.mandurahmail.com.au/story/2136968/gallery-peel-thunder-pre-season/?cs=290#slide=1

Well salim malik I've said that there were about 3 things that will get me to drive to Perth these days and reading your thoughts was coming up with a 4th.
Was then thinking 'hang-on' you're a Bulldogs fan who's gunna drive to Mandurah to watch Peel??o_O
Then with the timing of a good lead you tell me it's Thunder v Bulldogs=convinced>:D
Then with the finishing skill of an elite forward pocket you tell me the amber goo's cheap and tasty:):thumbsu::thumbsu:

Last edited:
I managed to get down to the game today, complete with binoculars and a program - so here are my thoughts on the game for what they are worth.

5 - Anthony Morabito. Woohoooooo! Got through without an issue, and at times looked a class above those around him. He moved through traffic a couple of times like he was untouchable. His kicking was long and penetrating, apart from a couple of times when he tried to be a little too cute. I went down to watch Mora in his first game back and was not disappointed.
6 - Colin Sylvia. Started very slowly in attack and at half time I was really diappointed, wondering if we had got another dud. The second half he went into the middle and he was a different man - hard and tough in the clinches and looked classy with the ball. I would say he is still a way off playing firsts, but showed enough to encourage me.
14 - Sam Menegola. Meh. Looks like he should be a good footballer, but for me he just doesn't have the footy smarts to make it at the highest level. His decision making at times was poor, and he really didn't do anything to make me think he "has it".
24 - Tanner Smith. Another highlight for me, looks balanced and strong, and made good decisions all day. Did get caught holding it once, but otherwise didn't do much wrong. Not sure if he he took any marks, but he certainly spoiled well and provided lots of run out of the back line. Not far off a game IMHO.
28 - Craig Moller. Rucked all day with very little chop out from Westwood. I thought he was beaten in the taps, and overall our midfield struggled. Having said that, he ran all day, and once the ball hit the ground he fought for it as hard as anyone. Probably at least a season away from being AFL level, but will hold his own in the WAFL and when he fills out he will be a gun.
34 - Josh Simpson. For those harbingers of doom writing young Joshy off, I have no idea where that is coming form. He looked fully engaged, fit, fast and classy! He also played a lot of minutes and didn't seem to struggle to keep up, kept presenting all day. I saw him in a Peel game last year and he looked as if he didn't feel like he belonged there - not the case today. Really impressed and while he is probably a way off a game for Freo, would not be surprised if he gets a run later in the year.
36 - Max Duffy. Did some good things and did some poor things. Overall not bad enough to be worried, but not good enough to think he is close to a game.
41 - Brady Grey. Solid little bugger, legs like tree trunks. Did some nice things, but not a stand out for me.
44 - Michael Wood. I thought he looked really good at times, seemed to have a little class, and took at least one really mice mark (which he converted for a goal). Could well be a mid-sized forward prospect in a year or two.
56 - Alex Pearce. He is one BIG unit (height wise, not Kgs). Went out the the three quarter time huddle and he is second only to Moller in height. Taller than Tanner by some margin. Did a couple of nice things, took a nice mark in defense - then kicked into the man on the mark which was like some kind of epidemic today. Overall, I think we have jagged a good one here, but will need to see how he progresses.

On a final note, there was a guy out there wearing jumper 22, not in the program. I commented a couple of times that he looked a class above, then realized it was Crozier. He didn't play too many minutes, but everything he did just reeked of class. At the 3/4 time huddle he was getting some work done on a claf and was grimacing a fair bit. Didn't look too serious, but he didn't come out in the fourth.

The boys ran out of puff in the last and Perth, kicking against the breeze came from 6 goals down to draw within a goal. I think the timekeeper must have been symapthetic to Peel because that seemed to be the shortest quarter of all time! I reckon another minute and Perth would have run over them.

Good to see a lot of the boys there supporting Mora, and great to see him get back on the field after three reco's - those Harvey dings are a tough bunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player by player:
Anthony Morabito - Only played 3 quarters. Started as a loose man in defence moving up to the midfield. Booming, yet at times inaccurate kick. Ran through packs with ease. Also laid 2 solid bumps. 7.5
Colin Sylvia - Played as an inside midfielder. Not the best first quarter. Strong in congestion, didn't look unfit. Probably the best Freo player on the field. 8
Sam Menegola - Ran hard, didn't stand out. 6
Hayden Crozier - Only played 3 quarters I think. Poor game by him although he did play on Thursday. Lots of air swings in congestion and poor kicking in general. 4
Tanner Smith - solid defensively, got caught once or twice trying to attack from defence. 6
Craig Moller - won the ruck, took a few marks. Was a bit clumsy in the air. 6
Josh Simpson - Wow! Really impressive, was probably just shaded by Sylvia. Sold MJ like candy however grubbered a few kicks. His work inside was class, and defensive efforts outstanding. Was involved in a great bit of play on the boundary in which he smothered, tackled and gained possession of the ball. Was a ten-fold improvement from the intra-club match. 8
Max Duffy - exceptionally entertaining. A very poor man's Stevie J. 6
Brady Grey - best of the draftees. Great last quarter. Played exactly how he looks in his draft highlights.
Michael Wood - pretty invisible. Took a good mark and scored from it. 5
Alex Pearce - good game, kicking wasn't bad. Was courageous and probably Peel's best defender. Had a knee scare in the 3rd but ended up running out the match. 7

Player by player:
Anthony Morabito - Only played 3 quarters. Started as a loose man in defence moving up to the midfield. Booming, yet at times inaccurate kick. Ran through packs with ease. Also laid 2 solid bumps. 7.5
Colin Sylvia - Played as an inside midfielder. Not the best first quarter. Strong in congestion, didn't look unfit. Probably the best Freo player on the field. 8
Sam Menegola - Ran hard, didn't stand out. 6
Hayden Crozier - Only played 3 quarters I think. Poor game by him although he did play on Thursday. Lots of air swings in congestion and poor kicking in general. 4
Tanner Smith - solid defensively, got caught once or twice trying to attack from defence. 6
Craig Moller - won the ruck, took a few marks. Was a bit clumsy in the air. 6
Josh Simpson - Wow! Really impressive, was probably just shaded by Sylvia. Sold MJ like candy however grubbered a few kicks. His work inside was class, and defensive efforts outstanding. Was involved in a great bit of play on the boundary in which he smothered, tackled and gained possession of the ball. Was a ten-fold improvement from the intra-club match. 8
Max Duffy - exceptionally entertaining. A very poor man's Stevie J. 6
Brady Grey - best of the draftees. Great last quarter. Played exactly how he looks in his draft highlights.
Michael Wood - pretty invisible. Took a good mark and scored from it. 5
Alex Pearce - good game, kicking wasn't bad. Was courageous and probably Peel's best defender. Had a knee scare in the 3rd but ended up running out the match. 7

Hingle, can you elaborate on Sylvia's performance? The TV news services indicated he wasn't all that flash. How was his disposal. Did he look quick or was he labouring?

Hingle, can you elaborate on Sylvia's performance? The TV news services indicated he wasn't all that flash. How was his disposal. Did he look quick or was he labouring?

Cant agree on Sylvia.I thought he was serviceable but not anywhere near best for Peel.At times he lacked a second effort.I dont think that game would put him in line for the 22 .
Also Crosier was a class above in his limited appearance and I am a believer in Grey but today he was nowhere near it
All in the eye of the beholder I guess but would like some opinions from some other watchers
Harry and Wigarus this means you

TV news service were being drama queens. I would say he would easily have had 20 possessions most in the centre square. On the outside however he wasn't too flashy.

Cant agree on Sylvia.I thought he was serviceable but not anywhere near best for Peel.At times he lacked a second effort.I dont think that game would put him in line for the 22 .
Also Crosier was a class above in his limited appearance and I am a believer in Grey but today he was nowhere near it
All in the eye of the beholder I guess but would like some opinions from some other watchers
Harry and Wigarus this means you

I kept looking for Sylvia for most of the game, and couldn't find him most of the time (on each of those occasions I was following the ball, ...and he was rarely on it).

Would see a great bit of play from a blond mid or forward and think 'ah there he is'.. but almost always it was another peel player.

He did pop up on occasions and when he was in the midfield, he looked most impressive. He's definitely an inside mid more than a forward for my money.

To be honest, if I was going solely on *today's* game, I would say that Josh Simpson was far more exciting than Sylvia. The times when Sylvia shined was when he was on the ball, digging it out and banging it forward - those were the times when I thought "...yeah, maybe."

Josh today however looked good everywhere, doing everything.

Without hyperbole, I can honestly say that Josh is the most evasive god-damn midfielder I have seen in the last 20 years. Time and time again he gets out of the most impossible situations.

At one point in the third quarter he crumbed possession on his own defensive wing, off the ground, at speed, one-handed mind you, and found himself surrounded by three Perth players...

...None of them tried to tackle him. All of them stood off him about 2 meters, with their weight back on their heels, waiting for him to do something...

...The reason they were all waiting is because not one of them had the slightest idea which way he was going to move - they were flummoxed. :cool:

Josh had a quick look around at all three of them then casually gave a no-look hand ball over the top to a team mate running past on the on the burst.

One of the Perth guys shot daggers with his eyes at Josh as he started giving chase :D

THAT'S the kind of day Josh had today, and that's why I say he deserves all the time he needs. :thumbsu:

In my humble opinion:
Morabito in a class above todays mob,made my day 8/10
Sylvia started slow went onto the ball and played in and under role will be good back up 7/10
Menegola impressed me, ran with Moody all day and beat him,maybe the next Crowley 6/10
Crozier flashy and not much else,not sure he will make at Freo.end of season trade bait 5/10
Smith will play 150-200 games at either CHB or FB,very impressive 7/10
Moller is improving,but a long way to go 5/10
Simpson very good, oozes class, does what he likes and makes it look easy, will play this year 8/10
Duffy I don't think he will make it,not a lot going for him 4/10
Grey was impressive, a" tough nut", tackled very well, 6/10
Wood did some nice things late in the game, a bit to like 5/10
Pearce looks the goods , can see him and Smith down back for the next 5-8 years 7/10

I kept looking for Sylvia for most of the game, and couldn't find him most of the time (on each of those occasions I was following the ball, ...and he was rarely on it).

Would see a great bit of play from a blond mid or forward and think 'ah there he is'.. but almost always it was another peel player.

He did pop up on occasions and when he was in the midfield, he looked most impressive. He's definitely an inside mid more than a forward for my money.

To be honest, if I was going solely on *today's* game, I would say that Josh Simpson was far more exciting than Sylvia. The times when Sylvia shined was when he was on the ball, digging it out and banging it forward - those were the times when I thought "...yeah, maybe."

Josh today however looked good everywhere, doing everything.

Without hyperbole, I can honestly say that Josh is the most evasive god-damn midfielder I have seen in the last 20 years. Time and time again he gets out of the most impossible situations.

At one point in the third quarter he crumbed possession on his own defensive wing, off the ground, at speed, one-handed mind you, and found himself surrounded by three Perth players...

...None of them tried to tackle him. All of them stood off him about 2 meters, with their weight back on their heels, waiting for him to do something...

...The reason they were all waiting is because not one of them had the slightest idea which way he was going to move - they were flummoxed. :cool:

Josh had a quick look around at all three of them then casually gave a no-look hand ball over the top to a team mate running past on the on the burst.

One of the Perth guys shot daggers with his eyes at Josh as he started giving chase :D

THAT'S the kind of day Josh had today, and that's why I say he deserves all the time he needs. :thumbsu:

Sounds like the mark of the great man Dale Kickett.

So curtinway it's:
IN:a Pearce
along with Morabito,Simpson,Smith,Sylvia,
and Wood,Menegola and Grey emergencies who may make the bench..Crozier delistedo_O

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back