Peel Scratchmatch

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the late response salim malik

Of the 11 players Freo had playing today, I reckon the top 4 were Smith, Pearce, Simpson, and Morabito.

Pearce and Smith looked great down back, took a few good grabs each. Pearce got a few of his kicks smothered though.

Simpson was best of the Freo players easily, possibly best on ground. He looked to be really enjoying himself.

Everyone else has covered already what I could say about Morabito.

I know I will get tagged with an anti Sylvia attitude but I really did not think he performed the way someone at his stage of his AFL career should. He didn't get to as many contests as I thought he would as an inside mid and he didn't look damaging as a forward. Really, I thought Josh's game would get him promoted to AFL level and Sylvia looked like it was his first game back from an injury. I thought Grey showed more intensity and they looked to be about as effective as each other.

I didn't notice Wood too much but what I did see he looked pretty good. Skinny as hell though.

In my humble opinion:
Morabito in a class above todays mob,made my day 8/10
Sylvia started slow went onto the ball and played in and under role will be good back up 7/10
Menegola impressed me, ran with Moody all day and beat him,maybe the next Crowley 6/10
Crozier flashy and not much else,not sure he will make at Freo.end of season trade bait 5/10
Smith will play 150-200 games at either CHB or FB,very impressive 7/10
Moller is improving,but a long way to go 5/10
Simpson very good, oozes class, does what he likes and makes it look easy, will play this year 8/10
Duffy I don't think he will make it,not a lot going for him 4/10
Grey was impressive, a" tough nut", tackled very well, 6/10
Wood did some nice things late in the game, a bit to like 5/10
Pearce looks the goods , can see him and Smith down back for the next 5-8 years 7/10
I stopped reading after this crap.

I stopped reading after this crap.
Get down there a give us your thoughts if you don't rate it. Thats just his opinion, doesn't mean its untrue either.

I don't think he's far off the mark by saying he's flashy at this stage of his career.

Quote me where I accused you, I simply asked you a question. Crozier is flashy? What's next, the grass is green?

Yes and that flashiness is his big knock on him- hence why he went at pick 20 in the draft. Stop acting like a dickhead.

Yep, the person defending Crozier being trade bait is the dickhead here, I totally agree with that.
Are you drunk of something? Might well be if your posting at 4.30 in the morning. Just your general demeanour in the way you go about it suggests certain knob head characteristics. I never said he was trade bait - was just saying he was flashy.

Are you drunk of something? Might well be if your posting at 4.30 in the morning. Just your general demeanour in the way you go about it suggests certain knob head characteristics. I never said he was trade bait - was just saying he was flashy.
Again I ask, where did I accuse you of saying he was trade bait? Drunk? Pfft, I don't drink. You don't even know what you're arguing, feel free to message me if you want to keep this argument going, as this page doesn't need to be like the others that are flooded with this type of stuff. You're posting at 4:30am too, maybe you're the one that's drunk?

Again I ask, where did I accuse you of saying he was trade bait? Drunk? Pfft, I don't drink. You don't even know what you're arguing, feel free to message me if you want to keep this argument going, as this page doesn't need to be like the others that are flooded with this type of stuff. You're posting at 4:30am too, maybe you're the one that's drunk?
i live in london

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kept looking for Sylvia for most of the game, and couldn't find him most of the time (on each of those occasions I was following the ball, ...and he was rarely on it).

Would see a great bit of play from a blond mid or forward and think 'ah there he is'.. but almost always it was another peel player.

He did pop up on occasions and when he was in the midfield, he looked most impressive. He's definitely an inside mid more than a forward for my money.

To be honest, if I was going solely on *today's* game, I would say that Josh Simpson was far more exciting than Sylvia. The times when Sylvia shined was when he was on the ball, digging it out and banging it forward - those were the times when I thought "...yeah, maybe."

Josh today however looked good everywhere, doing everything.

Without hyperbole, I can honestly say that Josh is the most evasive god-damn midfielder I have seen in the last 20 years. Time and time again he gets out of the most impossible situations.

At one point in the third quarter he crumbed possession on his own defensive wing, off the ground, at speed, one-handed mind you, and found himself surrounded by three Perth players...

...None of them tried to tackle him. All of them stood off him about 2 meters, with their weight back on their heels, waiting for him to do something...

...The reason they were all waiting is because not one of them had the slightest idea which way he was going to move - they were flummoxed. :cool:

Josh had a quick look around at all three of them then casually gave a no-look hand ball over the top to a team mate running past on the on the burst.

One of the Perth guys shot daggers with his eyes at Josh as he started giving chase :D

THAT'S the kind of day Josh had today, and that's why I say he deserves all the time he needs. :thumbsu:
Even with all of the write ups on Mora, this pleases me the most about Simpson.
Sportsmen with this evasive ability are rare and excell in all contact sports, think Campese, Greg Williams or Messi, now we have one of our own!
If he can get his confidence up and some more size, him and Fyfe will be our most feared duo yet.

In my humble opinion:
Morabito in a class above todays mob,made my day 8/10
Sylvia started slow went onto the ball and played in and under role will be good back up 7/10
Menegola impressed me, ran with Moody all day and beat him,maybe the next Crowley 6/10
Crozier flashy and not much else,not sure he will make at Freo.end of season trade bait 5/10
Smith will play 150-200 games at either CHB or FB,very impressive 7/10
Moller is improving,but a long way to go 5/10
Simpson very good, oozes class, does what he likes and makes it look easy, will play this year 8/10
Duffy I don't think he will make it,not a lot going for him 4/10
Grey was impressive, a" tough nut", tackled very well, 6/10
Wood did some nice things late in the game, a bit to like 5/10
Pearce looks the goods , can see him and Smith down back for the next 5-8 years 7/10

Good work curtinway , a different perspective on some things there but for those of us that couldn't get there - a perspective all the same, appreciate your work

After going to last weeks freo/eagles scratchie the one thing I took away after thinking about it was its difficult to judge players performances in a scratchie. I don't know what it is exactly but I'm thinking maybe the outside guys look a little better than what they would in a real contest because they have a little more time. Likewise the inside guys look a little meh because everyone in tight is argy-ing around half arsed so no one stands out.
All the same, can't wait to see our B team running around together this year, will def watch some more peel games this year

Good work curtinway , a different perspective on some things there but for those of us that couldn't get there - a perspective all the same, appreciate your work

After going to last weeks freo/eagles scratchie the one thing I took away after thinking about it was its difficult to judge players performances in a scratchie. I don't know what it is exactly but I'm thinking maybe the outside guys look a little better than what they would in a real contest because they have a little more time. Likewise the inside guys look a little meh because everyone in tight is argy-ing around half arsed so no one stands out.
All the same, can't wait to see our B team running around together this year, will def watch some more peel games this year

I can't wait too. Josh Simpson could be really electric this season and I am already very excited about seeing Smith and A. Pearce work down back together.

Going by the reports Sylvia did well in the middle but quiet up forward. Having said that watching him and Morra around the pack for Peel will be exciting.

It sounds like Crozier had a quiet game but considering he played 2 days before and had limited minutes for Peel it is understandable.

I really enjoyed driving the one hour to get to Ruston Park to witness this match yesterday. The conditions were perfect and the facilities are the best in the WAFL by far.

It was grass roots footy at its best, even for a simple scratch match played in the heat.

Just walking onto the ground at quarter and three-quarter time for a listen to Cam Sheppard, Roger Hayden and Mark Webb address the players during the breaks is what makes it unique. Then you notice Nat Fyfe and Ballas standing near you having a listen as well, well what can you say.

As Salim mentioned, watching Brett Kirk come onto the ground with his son for a kick at half-time is why this alignment programme should be successful for the community down there.

The bar facilities were busy and the chips were salty (thanks Ken), but that really helped the country style atmosphere down there.

I stayed for a beer in the club rooms afterwards with a mate and it was great to see the players and officials from both sides come in for a drink and some friendly banter post-hooter.

Even Mora and his brother Luke popped in, as did Colin Sylvia and Max Duffy for a while.

They had a Peel "Hall of Fame" wall in the bar which included pictures of Scott Gumbleton, Paul Bower, Hayden Ballantyne and Ben Howlett

Chris Mayne stood next to me busily texting on his phone, whilst Son-Son, Danyle Pearce, Lachie Neale and Stephen Hill all cruised by us as they left the ground.

No sign of the "String Bag" though.

Not much of a game to watch though, but Mora looked superb, albeit a bit rusty in patches.

His boots were off at three-quarter time as he stood in the huddle, however he could have played the whole game if he had to. His fitness is fine, he is just lacking touch and game time.

Josh Simpson the other stand out for mine, and I did like Kristin Thornton at full forward even though he is not on our list.

I was disappointed with Sylvia I must say as this was his opportunity to shine.

Crozier was very good in patches and Craig Moller was okay even though he is probably still 2 years off AFL level.

I look forward to getting back down there on the 22nd of March when they take on the Reagles.

BTW- Get a Peel membership and enjoy the discounts on food and drink down there, plus get a good seat for the game in the stand.

Wig or Harry, can you give us a bit more detail on the upside of each of Tanner and A Pearce's games based on what you saw yesterday? For instance is Pearce more accurate by foot? Who's the better decision maker? Better overhead? Etc? Much obliged.

Wig or Harry, can you give us a bit more detail on the upside of each of Tanner and A Pearce's games based on what you saw yesterday? For instance is Pearce more accurate by foot? Who's the better decision maker? Better overhead? Etc? Much obliged.
Pearce looked quick, got to a lot of contests etc. He got smothered a few times so I wouldn't be saying his kicking was a standout. They took a couple of nice grabs between them and they seemed to be working well together.

It's really hard to be objective though because they are playing on WAFL forwards, who are all shorter and smaller than AFL players would be. They didn't get outmarked from what I can remember. Joel Houghton scored the first couple of goals for Perth and both times he was running into an open goal so they were just in the wrong position.

I noticed Smith more and I would say he looks bigger and more comfortable in the air and probably the better decision maker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back