Peel Thunder - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/32085682/dockers-in-dirty-trick/#page1

"He attended last Saturday’s game without playing, meaning Peel’s reserves fielded one less player on the interchange bench, in a scenario that could be repeated for up to four weeks.

Under existing league regulations, the game may be counted as one of the five league or reserves matches Balic needs to be eligible to play WAFL finals. Fremantle sought clarification over the qualification rules from the WA Football Commission, which cleared the move."

Nothing more than another clickbait media beat up again.

Particularly since every club has almost certainly done something similar in the past. All the whinging would magically disappear if they actually did propose to change the rule and they all realised that it would impact their own future flexibility.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/32085682/dockers-in-dirty-trick/#page1

"He attended last Saturday’s game without playing, meaning Peel’s reserves fielded one less player on the interchange bench, in a scenario that could be repeated for up to four weeks.

Under existing league regulations, the game may be counted as one of the five league or reserves matches Balic needs to be eligible to play WAFL finals. Fremantle sought clarification over the qualification rules from the WA Football Commission, which cleared the move."

Nothing more than another clickbait media beat up again.

To be honest, it's not really in the spirit of the rules.

But by the same token, if we were playing finals Balic would be allowed to suit up for Peel regardless of how many games he's played during the year.

Lol did he really
No I did not say anywhere that we should delist Weller what I stated was that he had to BELIEVE that he belongs in the AFL or he maybe traded or delisted . I rated him then and I rate him now but like all young players they have to have the confidence to perform at the highest level . Weller has been struggling the last couple of games but I'm sure he will regain form and then he will be better than ever .

To be honest, it's not really in the spirit of the rules.

But by the same token, if we were playing finals Balic would be allowed to suit up for Peel regardless of how many games he's played during the year.
To play in WAFL finals he has to play a minimum number of 4 games from memory . Fremantle is trying to use a loop hole by naming him in the reserves even though won't take the field and the reserves team play one player down .
Peel could continue to do it even if the WAFL changed the rules by having him run out on the ground with the team, have him line up in a forward pocket for 5 minutes every quarter and then just sit him on the bench for the rest of the game. No possessions no risk .

The Balic thing is a non issue, the rule is in place to stop seasoned AFL players from coming into a WAFL finals side not to stop injured players who have missed over a year of footy.

If there is an issue with it then they should bring in an injury rule or something that allows players to get some gametime

B Bray Silvagni Mathers
HB Morabito Bootsma Hughes
C Tucker O'Brien CPearce
HF Lawler Bell Ugle
F Apeness Milward McGowan
R Hannath DeBoer Haydon
INT Hancock, Thorne, Morris, Eades, Collard, Hura, Bennell

Apeness named to play for Peel :) Deluca obviously the travelling emergency. Good to see Hura (draft prospect) maybe with a League game also.

B Bray Silvagni Mathers
HB Morabito Bootsma Hughes
C Tucker O'Brien CPearce
HF Lawler Bell Ugle
F Apeness Milward McGowan
R Hannath DeBoer Haydon
INT Hancock, Thorne, Morris, Eades, Collard, Hura, Bennell

Apeness named to play for Peel :) Deluca obviously the travelling emergency. Good to see Hura (draft prospect) maybe with a League game also.

Hmmm Bennell???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What with the Perth game being Sunday you'd assume the emergencies will fly back Saturday night and play the next day.

Hopefully you're not the Demons bus driver, if you are expect a few frantic phone calls on Saturday morning saying they are running late for the game

Particularly since every club has almost certainly done something similar in the past. All the whinging would magically disappear if they actually did propose to change the rule and they all realised that it would impact their own future flexibility.

Used to be the standard Eagles and others practice for prospective draftees wasn't it? Get them to 'play' one colts reserves team by sitting on the bench.

Like Ross said the real story is the kid's on track to play footy,after a career threatening injury,but the WA Eagles dominated media isn't available for that story.
Doing 60 kph in a 60 zone is legal;if you do 64 chances are you won't be booked but it's hardly abusing the spirit of the law.
Probably a shithouse analogy but if it's legal it's legal...WA sport media too little talent to present good copy so end up looking like they've got too much time on their hands 'cos their s**t is so relentlessly petty.
Duffield and Lacy are prolly exempted.

I'm really surprised we can't just apply to the league to allow him to play finals. Especially if we do it now I can't see why the WAFL would turn us down except if they are literally just being a bunch of pricks. The rule is to stop gun AFL players playing WAFL finals. Balic is a first year player who hasn't played footy in months. Where's the common sense?

I'm not sure I like what we are doing with Balic ATM but IMO it's mainly the WAFL's fault for enforcing a rule which is designed to stop WAFL clubs listing gun AFL players for finals. Freo are doing nothing but working with the rules in front of them. I hope the rule is ammended slightly so we don't have to do this again.

I'm really surprised we can't just apply to the league to allow him to play finals. Especially if we do it now I can't see why the WAFL would turn us down except if they are literally just being a bunch of pricks. The rule is to stop gun AFL players playing WAFL finals. Balic is a first year player who hasn't played footy in months. Where's the common sense?

I'm not sure I like what we are doing with Balic ATM but IMO it's mainly the WAFL's fault for enforcing a rule which is designed to stop WAFL clubs listing gun AFL players for finals. Freo are doing nothing but working with the rules in front of them. I hope the rule is ammended slightly so we don't have to do this again.

Remember we are dealing with the same people that just suspended a kid for 10 weeks for a high tackle.

Appealing on the basis of logic and reason won't go well.

I honestly can't see what the issue is from other clubs.
Peel are potentially going to play a player in finals that has not played for a year. This benefits the opposition team, not Peel.

I'm sure this has happened before with players coming back from injury towards finals time, just not with a club aligned to an AFL club. It's a storm in a teacup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back