Peel Thunder - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Balic been rested in the 4th term? His stats haven't changed in a while?
Balic was on in the 4th but we only had one on the bench for that whole qtr as Grif , Blair Bell (Peel regular) and Tanner Smith were injured. Harley was off the gound for a period in the 4th but I did see him go back on and was on the ground at the end of the game from what I recall. He didn't get that much of the ball after halftime but the game was played in wet weather conditions for most of the game.

Harley was on restricted minutes again today. He had 12 disposals I think it was at half time only second to Tendai and I think he ended up with 17 or thereabouts for what was his debut game at the League level. I though he played well and got 3rd man up on a couple of occasions.

Bondy RTB and Brad Lloyd were at the game so they could see first hand how everyone was going.

Tanner was very upset going down to the changerooms to get his hammy iced as that could be the end of his career. Deluca played well today possibly his best game for Peel and he looked like he was playing for his contract. Allikat

Last edited:

Well I had to be patient but I finally got to see Harley Balic play a game of footy. He started on the bench and was called to the bench frequently throughout the game. He was blowing very hard only minutes after coming onto the ground and seemed to me to be struggling with fitness throughout. Having said that he has a running style that suggests he's labouring even if he is quite comfortable.
As a player he seems capable, nothing about him stands out. He does seem to have a knack for being in the right spot at the right time at a ball up which is very encouraging. His kicking seems solid, I only noticed one dodgy kick into the middle of the ground which fell short of three team mates. I'm not sure which of them it was meant for.
He certainly played with vigour and enthusiasm, something his more established teammates didn't muster until the last qtr. He chased down a tigers player in their forward pocket and applied enough pressure to cause the ball to go out on the full. He contested a couple of ball ups in the second qtr I think it was and won the second of them quite easily. All in all I'd say it was a fairly solid performance in just his second game and in trying conditions.
It was his first game at the League Level today as he played Reserves last week for 3/4 of the game but today played the whole game but on a restricted minutes. Last week was the first time he had played in a game since July last year.

Also big Griffin has been stuck on 4 possessions for a long time. Is he being rested or injured? I wonder whether big Griff will only play finals should either of Zac Clarke or Jack Hannath get injured.

With Apeness and Silvani to come back in - if Tabener had qualified and Tanner Smith not got injured then we would have been very top heavy.
Grif injured an ankle and came off in the 3rd I think it was but he definately wasn't there in the last when we only had 1 on the bench as Blair Bell, Tanner Smith and Grif were injured.

It was his first game at the League Level today as he played Reserves last week for 3/4 of the game but today played the whole game but on a restricted minutes. Last week was the first time he had played in a game since July last year.
Is Balic wearing any guard or strapping to his wrist or do you know if that injury is now fully resolved?

Bell, Griffin, Tanner and Hannath injured? Hope one or two get up for next week,or that's Peel's forward line gone.

Danny, who did Balic remind you of when you watched him playing?

Is Balic wearing any guard or strapping to his wrist or do you know if that injury is now fully resolved?
He had light strapping on last week but I didn't notice what he had this week. The outcome of the bone graft operation to repair the scaphoid injury is that he has had a full medical clearance on it as it has been repaired 100%. At training this past week and during the game both of which I attended he didn't seem to favour it at all and today he played for a time as a inside mid and went third man up on a couple of occasions. He played on restricted minutes but was out there for the whole game today as against last week where he came off in the Reserves at 3/4 time.

Apart from bell i think peel will be ok next week with apeness, tucker, deboer and blakely back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell, Griffin, Tanner and Hannath injured? Hope one or two get up for next week,or that's Peel's forward line gone.

Danny, who did Balic remind you of when you watched him playing?
He reminded me of you ha ha
No hard to say as he played inside and outside and went 3rd man up on a couple of occasions. He has built up the upper half of his legs since you last saw him but if he keeps building up his torso he could end up being like a Robert Harvey but he is a better kick than Harvey was although he has indicated he has likened himself to Pendlebury. He is still working up to good match fitness but today in the wet conditions and playing on that cow paddock at the showgrounds it was taxing on most players.

Balic was on in the 4th but we only had one on the bench as Grif Hannath and Tanner were injured but he was off the gound for a period in the 4th but I did see him go back on and was on the ground at the end of the game from what I recall. He didn't get that much of the ball after halftime but the game was played in wet weather conditions for most of the game. Harley was on restricted minutes again today. He had 12 disposals I think it was at half time only second to Tendai and I think he ended up with 17 or thereabouts for what was his debut game at the League level. He played well and got 3rd man up on a couple of occasions. Bondy RTB and Simon Lloyd were at the game so they could see first hand how everyone was going. Tanner was very upset going down to the changerooms to get his hammy iced as that could be the end of his career. Deluca played well today possibly his best game for Peel and he looked like he was playing for his contract. Allikat

I think you'll find it was Brad Lloyd, Simon with the cats now.

Umm just a question , do you think freo should risk taking goddard ,after today not a fan of darcy cameron.

I think Goddard's star has been eclipsed by the English hype, but he appears to be a better stoppages Ruckman, and isn't too slow around the ground either. If he is still available at our second pick, Freo should definitely take him.

Grif injured an ankle and came off in the 3rd I think it was but he definately wasn't there in the last when we only had 1 on the bench as Blair Bell, Tanner Smith and Grif were injured.

So what's the issue with Bell? He's had a good year from the little I've seen. He had a very interrupted late teens early 20's and is now building nicely into good footballer. Would be a shame if he's out for the finals.

So what's the issue with Bell? He's had a good year from the little I've seen. He had a very interrupted late teens early 20's and is now building nicely into good footballer. Would be a shame if he's out for the finals.
Really disappointed he is injured , as him ,obrien and bootsma been consistent with their performance for peel. But with langdon, blakely and tucker in . Hope will cover bell lost if he is injured.

Umm just a question , do you think freo should risk taking goddard ,after today not a fan of darcy cameron.

Bigs get better as they get older, but IMO he's more the older style of ruck, though if Hannath goes he would be worth a late round pick,he's ok forward as well but IMO slow and not that athletic . Rucks are at a premium this year even more now with cegular and Nic Nat going down.

I'm hoping we keep Clarke and let him play as a more mid field ruck, but no matter how much Freo supporters bag him clubs will chase and he's a free agent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back