Peel Thunder 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for all the great reports. The final score was 14.8 (92) to 6.7 (43) for those interested.

I have no idea who played (or was missing) for Subi (other than Zac) but that seems another pretty impressive win this pre-season and 'bodes well' for Freo's future.

I think what's most exciting is the average age of the Freo listed players was only 20.65. And going off the reports it was mostly our 18 and 19 year olds that were amongst the best players.

Duffield wrote an article (yesterday/today) talking about our slim depth being a major issue because we have so many youngsters on our list. I agree that injuries to key players will hurt (like it does for any team) but I suspect he may have edited it a bit if he'd gone to the Peel pre-season games the past few weeks. Is a player like Cerra or Crowden (and add North now) really going to give us that much less than a player like Danyle Pearce or Sutcliffe? Is Nyhuis or Duman going to give us that much less than Spurr? And with Alex Pearce back is Logue going to give us that much less than MJ? We know Sheridan and Grey aren't world beaters but they can play a role, and is there any reason Switkowski couldn't come in and do something similar? Cox and Hughes are a bit out of form but we know both can perform well at AFL level when they are.

We've got our three most talented outside players injured atm but we managed to cover them by our youngsters (Langdon and Tucker) stepping up. I think we've got enough versatility in our B22 to cover injuries to almost any player (eg Blakely playing midfield). And given this, as much as it is very young I'm not convinced our depth is really that shallow. Not expecting us to start winning against top 4 teams but expecting us being far more competitive and not dropping off a cliff in the second half of the season again.

Also, great to see Duman taking steps forward after playing well in the finals last season. Does he have a buddy this year? If he doesn't get on him someone without one!

Unique Name, thanks for the detailed summary of the game and especially the write up on Jones. It's great to see my buddy is doing ok.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great to see Jones doing alright. He’s obviously being groomed as back up for that Fwd/Ruck role if Injury/Bad form hits Tabs.

Pretty happy we snapped him up before the Posh bastards up the road.

Thanks for all the great reports. The final score was 14.8 (92) to 6.7 (43) for those interested.

I have no idea who played (or was missing) for Subi (other than Zac) but that seems another pretty impressive win this pre-season and 'bodes well' for Freo's future.

I think what's most exciting is the average age of the Freo listed players was only 20.65. And going off the reports it was mostly our 18 and 19 year olds that were amongst the best players.

Duffield wrote an article (yesterday/today) talking about our slim depth being a major issue because we have so many youngsters on our list. I agree that injuries to key players will hurt (like it does for any team) but I suspect he may have edited it a bit if he'd gone to the Peel pre-season games the past few weeks. Is a player like Cerra or Crowden (and add North now) really going to give us that much less than a player like Danyle Pearce or Sutcliffe? Is Nyhuis or Duman going to give us that much less than Spurr? And with Alex Pearce back is Logue going to give us that much less than MJ? We know Sheridan and Grey aren't world beaters but they can play a role, and is there any reason Switkowski couldn't come in and do something similar? Cox and Hughes are a bit out of form but we know both can perform well at AFL level when they are.

We've got our three most talented outside players injured atm but we managed to cover them by our youngsters (Langdon and Tucker) stepping up. I think we've got enough versatility in our B22 to cover injuries to almost any player (eg Blakely playing midfield). And given this, as much as it is very young I'm not convinced our depth is really that shallow. Not expecting us to start winning against top 4 teams but expecting us being far more competitive and not dropping off a cliff in the second half of the season again.

Also, great to see Duman taking steps forward after playing well in the finals last season. Does he have a buddy this year? If he doesn't get on him someone without one!
Great summary. Based on other reports, it seemed like we had about 14 Freo listed players - does that sound about right to you? If so, it’s not a long way off the 12 restriction for finals. It’s not like we loaded up with 20 Freo players this week - that’s the other impressive thing to go with that youthful average age!

Tried ripping into my mate yesterday, his comeback was;

No Horsley, cockie, wheeler, phelan, Lockyer, adamson or deluca.

So they were potentially missing a few but meh, whatevs. Once our kids gets a season of WAFL into them, the growth in them will add much more than Subi getting these players back.

Back2Back2Back2Back is on the cards! Calling it early for 2019 too - although, we might have an AFL reserves comp to start destroying instead! Then media clowns like Duffield can sit up and take notice of the juggernaut we are building over here - imagine how good our kids would be if Ross could actually develop da youff! Scary stuff :drunk:

How does this buddy thing work?! What do you need to do? I will do it if a 'debutant' is allowed?

All my life all I ever wanted was a buddy!! :( Do I get to take him out for ice cream?! :p

Great reports. So many players showing early promise already!! Can't help but feel secretly really excited now...the future looks very bright. I'm eager to see how that might even affect the present; the team/overall squad is looking galvanised. If they can match that manic pressure with more fluid, attacking - penetrating footy. Well, who knows.....

In fact it's not so much a secret anymore is it, 'cos I just typed it out loud. TOL!

Great summary. Based on other reports, it seemed like we had about 14 Freo listed players - does that sound about right to you? If so, it’s not a long way off the 12 restriction for finals. It’s not like we loaded up with 20 Freo players this week - that’s the other impressive thing to go with that youthful average age!

So they were potentially missing a few but meh, whatevs. Once our kids gets a season of WAFL into them, the growth in them will add much more than Subi getting these players back.

Back2Back2Back2Back is on the cards! Calling it early for 2019 too - although, we might have an AFL reserves comp to start destroying instead! Then media clowns like Duffield can sit up and take notice of the juggernaut we are building over here - imagine how good our kids would be if Ross could actually develop da youff! Scary stuff :drunk:

Yes they were with a few good players out. Subi will be a force this season.

I watched a bunch of 18 and 19 year old first year players destroy Subi. What hasn't properly been mention was the 3 or 4 cheap shots from Subi players after the play. They couldn't keep up with our young guns pressure and they became frustrated.

Grey copped 2 late and very dirty hits to the head.

Dixon a late knee to the back.

Maybe Nyhuis or Duman was hit well behind play.

Umps ignored the whole thing. The great thing was it didn't rattle the boys they just thrived on the occasion and continued to play footy.

How does this buddy thing work?! What do you need to do? I will do it if a 'debutant' is allowed?

All my life all I ever wanted was a buddy!! :( Do I get to take him out for ice cream?! :p
I would recommend Duman as the player to get the ice cream and anything else into.

Looking forward to a debut from him. Terrific game from reports. Tall wing position could add something too.

Duffield was at the game yesterday and is a Freo fan that pays close attention.

I watched a bunch of 18 and 19 year old first year players destroy Subi. What hasn't properly been mention was the 3 or 4 cheap shots from Subi players after the play. They couldn't keep up with our young guns pressure and they became frustrated.

Umps ignored the whole thing. The great thing was it didn't rattle the boys they just thrived on the occasion and continued to play footy.
Sherro copped a late hit aswell. We got a downfield free kick which we kicked a goal from.

Sherro went straight to the Subi player and clapped and whooped right next to his head. Quite funny.

I thought the late hit on Dixon was the worst. Was impressed that he settled himself quickly and slotted the goal.

May as well just say you hate all journalists and want nothing written about AFL at all if you’re going to bash what Duffield does. He’s unbiased and writes either truth or his own opinion. There’s no making up crap or throwing darts until he gets the big story like Hackdorn or Barrett. Just does his job.

Ultimately these kids more than likely aren’t good depth at AFL level. Of course that’s being harsh on one or two but most bottom sides have a lot of young players and there’s a reason that’s the case. They are fantastic to have on the list in our current situation. I’d rather have them than the De Boer, Suban, Mzungu, Silvagni types that would’ve kept us competitive if we had a good side in the first place but get exposed just as much in a bad one. At least a few of these kids will be very good players for our club but to say that we have no depth is actually a reasonable statement until these kids prove otherwise.

Horsley, Deluca played. Cockie with a knee brace on, doesn’t look like he’ll be in anytime soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I like Duffield a lot. Very fair and balanced. Maybe he wrote and submitted it prior because he didn't mention the game at all. And I know he went and watched Nic Nat the week before so he was speaking 2nd hand in the article about that game.

That's very much a Subi trait. I still vividly remember the 95 GF, as soon as WP got some ascendancy the whole Subi team just went the biff but it was all behind the play, late, dirty head high stuff. It's a culture with that club, as soon as things aren't going their way they turn into cheap thugs.

May as well just say you hate all journalists and want nothing written about AFL at all if you’re going to bash what Duffield does. He’s unbiased and writes either truth or his own opinion. There’s no making up crap or throwing darts until he gets the big story like Hackdorn or Barrett. Just does his job.

Ultimately these kids more than likely aren’t good depth at AFL level. Of course that’s being harsh on one or two but most bottom sides have a lot of young players and there’s a reason that’s the case. They are fantastic to have on the list in our current situation. I’d rather have them than the De Boer, Suban, Mzungu, Silvagni types that would’ve kept us competitive if we had a good side in the first place but get exposed just as much in a bad one. At least a few of these kids will be very good players for our club but to say that we have no depth is actually a reasonable statement until these kids prove otherwise.
When dod we start liking Duffield?

Yeah I like Duffield a lot. Very fair and balanced. Maybe he wrote and submitted it prior because he didn't mention the game at all. And I know he went and watched Nic Nat the week before so he was speaking 2nd hand in the article about that game.
Love their podcast they do, but mainly for duffield. Don’t think Quartermain has much of an idea tbh.

Oops !! Yeah duff and quarters podcast is a good listen Tuesday night duff is very open about the fact that he is a deep fan

Oops !! Yeah duff and quarters podcast is a good listen Tuesday night duff is very open about the fact that he is a deep fan
Yeah he is open about it but he isn't biased at all. In some ways I think he overcompensates a bit by not being as critical as he probably should be about the other mob. And Quarters pretty much switching off during any semi-positive talk about Freo doesn't really help that cause either. Meanwhile 6pr will happily spend 4 minutes talking about Nic Nat, and then squeeze Freo talk into about 30 seconds followed by another 30 seconds about everything else footy wise. Unless it's something negative and then they'll bring some crack into every sentence they can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back