Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Despite Peel winning the series over the past 4 years 8-6
Just about everytime I've watched it, we had a lot of trouble stopping their run from defence. Like their current team AFL side they run from defence and just swarm in numbers down the ground. And like our AFL side, no-one chases and we didn't touch it from half-back to forward. There were times when our more experienced side was dominant though.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
nah we usually win tbh
Fair enough. I must have been paying more attention to the two game plans not the results. When the two teams are at equal strength, their game-plan looks more damaging then ours. They tear us apart through the middle and their half backs and midfield run a lot harder than ours. We looked better when we had a team full of experienced player for a few years but before that we used to have a lot of trouble keeping up with their run. That's the way I remember feeling about it when I watched the games.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair enough. I must have been paying more attention to the two game plans not the results. When the two teams are at equal strength, their game-plan looks more damaging then ours. They tear us apart through the middle and their half backs and midfield run a lot harder than ours. We looked better when we had a team full of experienced player for a few years but before that we used to have a lot of trouble keeping up with their run. That's the way I remember feeling about it when I watched the games.

I think you need to look to the future not dwell on the past..

So is the glass, 1/2 full or 1/2 empty..

Mines 1/2 full as I drank the other bit!

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Whatever I said about EP game plan, ignore. They are total rubbish. They certainly no longer have hard running hbf's and hard running midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redgum

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo Footy Club
How does it make people feel with WCE getting that license for their own WAFL club,where does that put us,should we also try and get one down the track ? they are going to top up their new club with additional wafl players to make it viable,I guess those players will probably be paid quite well by WCE to join. I can see advantages because they will use this new club to bring in future prospects,indigenous players etc who would naturally align them selves with WCE. It would be like an academy,I am really worried that this is going to make WCE an even stronger club in this state and the gap between us and them will widen further. We need to do the same ,sooner rather than later.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just about everytime I've watched it, we had a lot of trouble stopping their run from defence. Like their current team AFL side they run from defence and just swarm in numbers down the ground..

Sorry to use this post to ask you Apuchar but can you fill me in on the talent of james Sturrock. Seems to have come on a lot. would he be a good pick up as say a potential mid?

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Sorry to use this post to ask you Apuchar but can you fill me in on the talent of james Sturrock. Seems to have come on a lot. would he be a good pick up as say a potential mid?
I didn't go to the games this year only listened to the games on the radio but for such a young player he seemed to settle into the level very quickly and got a fair amount of the ball. He certainly seemed to hold his own and Peel didn't have to carry him, like usually happens when a young peel player comes into the league side. What I don't know from not seeing him live is whether he has pace and what his disposal efficiency is like and whether he has that intangible AFL quality thing. He sounds like he is further along then some of the more fancied young players but that doesn't always translate into being afl quality. He played well in the colts finals but Pina sounded more damaging, so I wonder if he is more solid than dynamic. Others who went to the games this year may be able to fill you in on the rest, but from what I was listening to he seemed to cope very well at league level for such a young kid.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
How does it make people feel with WCE getting that license for their own WAFL club,where does that put us,should we also try and get one down the track ? they are going to top up their new club with additional wafl players to make it viable,I guess those players will probably be paid quite well by WCE to join. I can see advantages because they will use this new club to bring in future prospects,indigenous players etc who would naturally align them selves with WCE. It would be like an academy,I am really worried that this is going to make WCE an even stronger club in this state and the gap between us and them will widen further. We need to do the same ,sooner rather than later.

I don't really see a need for us to go for one to be honest.

I think our relationship with Peel is probably better than WCEs was with EP. Less history and antagonism to get in the way, we seem to be able to play players where we want them played, and we seem to win a decent amount. EP never really seemed to function well despite having quite a talented 22 at times. I imagine Peel is pretty happy with it too given they've gone from no finals to 2 premierships quick smart. EP seemed like they couldn't wait to * the eagles off.

I think the WCE standalone might run into a lot of issues. I am not knowledgeable as to any details as to how it will run, but I presume they are going to be limited in terms of the amount of additional players they can bring in to make a 22+emergencies, and probably limited in what they can pay them. Maybe a few WAFL ressies guys from other clubs might jump at it? But as soon as a few injuries hit they could potentially be noncompetitive. Even Peel were competitive this year and we were hit. I guess it depends what you think is more important - total control of coaching or a (relatively) winning culture?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Both models can work.

The fact is Peel let us do whatever we want but East Perth didn't let the Eagles have control.

The advantage we have is that we can bring injured players back via the Peels seconds.

Back