Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Would say that was Hugh Dixon's best game by a street, perhaps challenge him more with future mobile ruck roles.

He has been playing ruck the last few weeks. IMO his best game was still the practice match earlier this year where he kicked six goals or the games the previous year where he kicked 3 goals. I know some were saying a few pages back that he isn't playing forward because he is too slow but I am pretty sure he is being played in defence and ruck to try and build up his game endurance and also get more of the ball.

When he plays forward he often still gets out on a lead early in games but he isn't able to maintain doing it later; the biggest problem it seems to me has been him coming back from the christmas break in worse condition than where he was last year.

Greyhairs

Senior List
May 6, 2019
Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins.
Ballas seems to have given up ever being back in the AFL , would that be about a correct assumption lads?

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I’d wager Ballas would be sitting on much more than 5 goals if given the same games Switta has played. Switta needs to hit the scoreboard or have a rest at Peel.

Agree, and have stated that from early on. But he's doing pretty much everything else right, and I'm not missing Balla falling over every 3 seconds - could you have imagined him on that Optus Stadium surface last night.

That said, I think Balla just got injured at the wrong time. Switta hit a bit of lean patch a few weeks back and I reckon Balla would have been playing more if not for early injury.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d wager Ballas would be sitting on much more than 5 goals if given the same games Switta has played. Switta needs to hit the scoreboard or have a rest at Peel.

Absolutely no question about that.

The fact that we have a small forward as a lock in our best 22 when he’s only averaging 11 disposals per game and less than 1 tackle inside 50 per game and has had only 4 shots on goal from 14 games says a lot about what’s wrong with our club and especially our forward line set up, mentality and lack of scoring.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots

The fact that we have a small forward as a lock in our best 22 when he’s only averaging 11 disposals per game and less than 1 tackle inside 50 per game and has had only 4 shots on goal from 14 games says a lot about what’s wrong with our club and especially our forward line set up, mentality and lack of scoring.

Switta came out of the blocks well, missed shots that as a small fwd should be converting more often than not, then seems to have become gun shy - not that he's had a lot of chances. But you can't have small fwd who isn't hungry for a goal.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt early, but a run in with Peel and bag a few goals, might get him back on track. I like him, as said above, he does a lot of other things right.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Switta came out of the blocks well, missed shots that as a small fwd should be converting more often than not, then seems to have become gun shy - not that he's had a lot of chances. But you can't have small fwd who isn't hungry for a goal.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt early, but a run in with Peel and bag a few goals, might get him back on track. I like him, as said above, he does a lot of other things right.

I don’t mind him but I refuse to believe that we can’t do better or don’t have a better option than him. And I hate and disagree with having a forward purely in the side to pressure and tackle the opposition around the middle of the ground. A player is always more of a threat to the opposition if they’re dangerous in terms of scoring or creating scores imo. Obviously Ross doesn’t.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo

You think about all the little guys playing footy in this country that are small forward size, you'd think any making it all the way to an AFL 22 would just have to have ELITE goal sense and skills as an absolute minimum. Tackling/defensive pressure/fitness can be trained in the pro environment, but they should all be guns skills wise to even get an interview. Right?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Carter is made for the pressure forward, brave, quick ,good skills , tackles like a banshee.
Now he is on the main list I can't see any reason for him not to replace Switta.
Come on Ross you know it's the right move.

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Switta has kept his spot cos he's the only one with real pace in our forwardline. Carter , Sturt and at a stretch ballas are our only other replacements. Not sure Carter was too impressive when played in that role at peel. Sturt has been injured and ballas has been injured and has age against him. Forwards with pace and skills should be our priority for draft and trade this year.

Back