apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I don't think he's a had a full preseason yet. Hopefully this year he can get stuck in in the gym and also hit the track hard with plenty of running and ball and skill work.

I agree I think he'll make a good forward/ruck in time.
I wonder if playing he and Sturt in the firsts would give us a sense of whether they could make it at the next level, in time. I'm not sure if playing in a sometimes shambles Peel team can tell you much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PurpleReign

All Australian
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder if playing he and Sturt in the firsts would give us a sense of whether they could make it at the next level, in time. I'm not sure if playing in a sometimes shambles Peel team can tell you much
After watching Sturt last Saturday it got me thinking how good do we think he could be?
I’ve had a look at the first round picks from last year and there are no obvious duds amongst that lot. There’s a couple of players there that we haven’t seen yet but they all look pretty good right out to pick 18, Duursma. It’s the first time I’ve seen him play. I noticed in pre season training that he seemed to shy away from body contact in some contests and last Saturday I saw similar behaviour in his first two contests. However, for the rest of the game he attacked the contest with real vigour, in one instance he tried to lay a tackle on a Souths player in the centre of the ground and he went so hard at the bigger body that he got flung into the air from the heavy contact. He also took a towering grab in the second quarter but had the ball taken off of him after North was penalised for shepherding in the marking contest.
For me he was the one glimmer of light from an otherwise disappointing display from our youngsters. I should also acknowledge that Valente and Watson weren’t playing so maybe I was overly pessimistic. Anyway my point is that if we can draw a line of potential ability from the players we have seen so far from last year’s first round, there’s a very good chance that Sturt could be a special player and in conjunction with Hogan, Tabs and an in-form McCarthy could form a formidable forward line next year.
What do people think? Could Sturt develop into an influential player in Freo’s front 6 next year? I will be incredibly disappointed if he doesn’t get played in the last 2 games of the season. I know Ballas needs a farewell game but surely not at the expense of someone like Sturt.

RoundPickDrafted ByPlayerCurrent TeamGames Since
Drafted
1​
1​
20​
1​
2​
19​
1​
3​
Izak Rankine​
0​
1​
4​
Max King​
0​
1​
5​
20​
1​
6​
12​
1​
7​
20​
1​
8​
18​
1​
9​
6​
1​
10​
19​
1​
11​
GWS
GWS
1​
1​
12​
18​
1​
13​
4​
1​
14​
GWS
GWS
7​
1​
15​
18​
1​
16​
Ned McHenry​
0​
1​
17​
Sam Sturt​
0​
1​
18​
19​

Ysaye

Premiership Player
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
After watching Sturt last Saturday it got me thinking how good do we think he could be?
I’ve had a look at the first round picks from last year and there are no obvious duds amongst that lot. There’s a couple of players there that we haven’t seen yet but they all look pretty good right out to pick 18, Duursma. It’s the first time I’ve seen him play. I noticed in pre season training that he seemed to shy away from body contact in some contests and last Saturday I saw similar behaviour in his first two contests. However, for the rest of the game he attacked the contest with real vigour, in one instance he tried to lay a tackle on a Souths player in the centre of the ground and he went so hard at the bigger body that he got flung into the air from the heavy contact. He also took a towering grab in the second quarter but had the ball taken off of him after North was penalised for shepherding in the marking contest.
For me he was the one glimmer of light from an otherwise disappointing display from our youngsters. I should also acknowledge that Valente and Watson weren’t playing so maybe I was overly pessimistic. Anyway my point is that if we can draw a line of potential ability from the players we have seen so far from last year’s first round, there’s a very good chance that Sturt could be a special player and in conjunction with Hogan, Tabs and an in-form McCarthy could form a formidable forward line next year.
What do people think? Could Sturt develop into an influential player in Freo’s front 6 next year? I will be incredibly disappointed if he doesn’t get played in the last 2 games of the season. I know Ballas needs a farewell game but surely not at the expense of someone like Sturt.

RoundPickDrafted ByPlayerCurrent TeamGames Since
Drafted
1​
1​
20​
1​
2​
19​
1​
3​
Izak Rankine​
0​
1​
4​
Max King​
0​
1​
5​
20​
1​
6​
12​
1​
7​
20​
1​
8​
18​
1​
9​
6​
1​
10​
19​
1​
11​
GWS
GWS
1​
1​
12​
18​
1​
13​
4​
1​
14​
GWS
GWS
7​
1​
15​
18​
1​
16​
Ned McHenry​
0​
1​
17​
Sam Sturt​
0​
1​
18​
19​
I think with Sturt the issue has been / is what is he? We drafted him as a forward but then he spent the summer training off halfback then he has played a lot of games at WAFL on the wing. Watching him play at his best in the WAFL (he has not been as good since the concussions) he plays well as a midfielder, uses both his height and hands for marking, speed and kicking to good effect though if he is playing there he needs to build up his endurance. He also looked good the year before as a forward who could play small and tallish and be a difficult matchup; but then he kind of hasn't played that role since being at the club.

I think at his best possible outcome is a tall midfielder probably playing outside/in (he was not bad in congestion earlier in the season) with that combination of speed, towering marking, long kick that can also easily penetrate the goals. He looks a bit Lenny Hayes to me when he does that. But right now he obviously has a long way to go and those concussions were a huge setback and if midfield is where he is going ultimately then he needs to build up that endurance.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I would like to have a look at him at the next if he is ok concussion wise. If he gets a game now it will be in his natural position i.e. as a half-forward so that should make it easier.

GingerDocker

Debutant
Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm struggling to understand any discussion around Sturt playing anywhere except half forward/high half forward?

I see him as the creative, talented missing link in our forward line...someone who can get separation from their opponent, has good hands and can deliver with skill in to the F50 when required. He's everything I'd hoped McCarthy would be and maybe more.

Why he needs to spend time on the wing, midfield and in the back line is mystifying.

tants

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm struggling to understand any discussion around Sturt playing anywhere except half forward/high half forward?

I see him as the creative, talented missing link in our forward line...someone who can get separation from their opponent, has good hands and can deliver with skill in to the F50 when required. He's everything I'd hoped McCarthy would be and maybe more.

Why he needs to spend time on the wing, midfield and in the back line is mystifying.
He has said that he sees his future in the midfield

I used to be an inside midfielder, so hopefully I can back to that with a good pre-season and some strength and conditioning.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most players want to be midfielders but not all get there. I agree with the Ginge that until he's ready or proves that he's a legitimate midfield option, he'd be great as a mobile third tall forward or mid-sized forward which is just what we need.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Need to take the concussion issue seriously, and I am fine with holding him back for another pre-season. But I want to see an early debut for both Sturt and Henry. Very few small/medium forwards are pure forwards, so I have no issue with him training for the midfield anyway. Some of the comments about him are Fyfe-esque, and we need several more of him right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom