2nds Peel Thunder 2019

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
With just over a week until Peels first official game for the 2019 season I thought it would be appropriate to start it's thread.

Would be interesting to read predictions of the round 1 team line up against the Falcons.

A bit of the unknown with some of the youth coming through. I'm super keen to see Valente and Sturt plus the mature recruit of Bewley.

North for me could push for a starting possition for Freo later this season.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's my stab in the dark for the moment... Freo players in bold.

B Ryan Nyhuis ~ Griffin Logue ~ Jason Carter
HB Traye Bennell ~ Tobe Watson ~ Taylin Duman
C
Brett Bewley ~ Tom North ~ Stefan Giro
R Scott Jones ~ Ben Howlett ~ Mitch Crowden
HF Blair Bell ~ Hugh Dixon ~ Jackson Merrett
F Gerald Ugle ~ Lloyd Meek ~ Brayden Lawler
I/C Sam Sturt ~ Benjamin Hancock ~ Jordan Boullineau ~ Keegan Power

Luke Valente comes in if he is ready. One or both of Lachie Shultz or Brandon Matera might be at Peel as well depending on where Switkowski is at. One of the Freo players also comes out as the emergency for Freo.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's my stab in the dark for the moment... Freo players in bold.

B Ryan Nyhuis ~ Griffin Logue ~ Jason Carter
HB
Traye Bennell ~ Tobe Watson ~ Taylin Duman
C
Brett Bewley ~ Tom North ~ Stefan Giro
R
Scott Jones ~ Ben Howlett ~ Mitch Crowden
HF
Blair Bell ~ Hugh Dixon ~ Jackson Merrett
F Gerald Ugle ~ Lloyd Meek ~ Brayden Lawler
I/C Sam Sturt ~ Benjamin Hancock ~ Jordan Boullineau ~ Keegan Power

Luke Valente comes in if he is ready. One or both of Lachie Shultz or Brandon Matera might be at Peel as well depending on where Switkowski is at. One of the Freo players also comes out as the emergency for Freo.

By the way Valente is training with the main squad I think he'll be available for selection.

Feb 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Do we have a practice game this weekend before the season launch? There is nothing on the WAFL web site / app and we have some great young talent looking to improve and push their way into our side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Any Peel watchers today? I see The West provided a review of the wiggles... I wonder they’ll do similar for Peel.

Edit: just realised the time difference means it hasn’t even started.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Cesoir posted the following in the Peel Scratch Match thread (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/peel-scratchmatch.1051248/page-13):

Honestly mate, I wouldn't give a rating to any of the players on what I saw, because it was just so dysfunctional as a whole everyone looked bad. It was 7 goals to 2 when I left, and we were lucky it wasn't more.

From what I saw, and bear in mind I am pretty bummed about the game so will probably be more negative than usual...

Both rucks, Jones and Meek were pretty ordinary. Won most of the hit outs but we were still getting smashed in the middle and both dropped marks they should have taken. I would have hoped they'd both be a cut above WAFL standard but they really weren't today.

Sam Switkowski tried hard. He has great pace and I am a big wrap for him but he made a lot of bad decisions and silly mistakes today - I think just part of the dysfunctionality of the team as a whole.

Our defence as a whole was too small and Perth looked like taking a mark every time it came in. Tobe Watson was absolutely killed by his man - number 68 I think it was for Perth. I like Tobe but he is not big enough or strong enough to be a key back and he played at full back today. Nyhuis was very quiet, Duman did a few good things but did not impose himself, and the Peel guys (Traye Bennel and Jackson Merritt come to mind) played really dumb footy.

Sam Sturt started well. He is quite physical for such a slight lad. In the first quarter he hit a pack hard and came off second-best. He was holding his wrist / arm and looked to be in a bit of pain. He came back on in the second and was limping so I suspect he got a corkie in the collision.

Hugh Dixon took one really nice mark and got a "Joe the goose" for a nice goal, but there was not much ball coming into our forward line so hard to judge.

North did not have the impact I thought he would have and we were well beaten in the midfield. He's a good kid, but the half I saw he was not great.

As I said, I am probably being overly negative - it was only a scratchie and I left at half time. The fact they won means they must have dominated the second half, but that will probably be fitness more than anything. I was hoping to see some semblance of the run and gun style that Freo played, but it was more like Freo circa 2016 - 2018 or AFLW Freo under Michelle Cowan.

I'm just going to sear that game from my memory and look forward to a Fremantle-like turnaround when the real season starts :)

Reposted here for completeness sake.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at that team and I know Dixon, Logue and Kersten are out injured but if we do have a mid-season draft pick and Dillon O’Reilly starts the season off well then that is who I would add to better balance our team. Trade/draft midfielders at the end of the season.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Team up this morning:
Hancock Watson Power
Carter Nyhuis Boullineau
Merrett Sturrock Howlett
Ugle Meek Sturt
R. Bennell Cox Lawlor
Jones North Switowksi
Valente
Piggott Pina Bogensperger Harding Morris Osborne

Looks good. The backline is short but very mobile.
Switta on ball is strange but not surprising.
Hopefully Meek gets to play KF for the majority of the game.

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Team up this morning:
Hancock Watson Power
Carter Nyhuis Boullineau
Merrett Sturrock Howlett
Ugle Meek Sturt
R. Bennell Cox Lawlor
Jones North Switowksi
Valente
Piggott Pina Bogensperger Harding Morris Osborne
Nice work... Where did you find that?

I'm assuming Giro and Crowden will also be added to that (unless either play for Freo). Loved watching Cerra > Crowden kicking i50 on the tit to the forwards early last season. Hopefully it's Valente > Crowden > Sturt/Cox on the weekend.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at that team and I know Dixon, Logue and Kersten are out injured but if we do have a mid-season draft pick and Dillon O’Reilly starts the season off well then that is who I would add to better balance our team. Trade/draft midfielders at the end of the season.
Is Dixon injured? He played in the scratchie last week and he's not on the injury list. I would not be surprised to see Cox switched back into defence, the small back line was getting slaughtered by the Perth talls last week.

Will be watching Dillon with great interest.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Hope to see the Peel boys do well this week. Should win you'd think? I'm a Black Duck at heart, but always have my eyes on the Peel Dockers

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Anyone know what happened to Dixon? Also I noticed Valente was named as an emergency in the paper today.

Hope Sturt does well; would be good to have him putting pressure on the other small forwards.

Back