2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
Went and watched peel today for the first time in a while. What an eye opener.
I’ve seen tall trees that could ruck better than meek and jones. Yes they got there hand on the ball but never to advantage. Delahunty gave them a lesson around the ground.
McCarthy is an elite kick but doesn’t get it enough and is too often way out of position.
Banfeild was good when he was moved into the middle in the last half.
Colyer, north, Schultz were ineffective. Crowden doesn’t look like someone pushing into an afl team. Looks like he can only play inside and his ball use is only average.
There hands are slow and there decision making is poor at best.
I doubt many of the Freo listed players would get a game for subi. Some of the subi guys must wonder how these blokes get drafted.
On the plus side Bennell was good until Hoskins tagged him out of the game.
Logue did some good things but looks like someone who has missed 2 yrs.
Giro looks lively as an outside mid but did a knee today.
Carter was useful but got found out a few times defensively when peel turned it over.
Luckily we picked up a bloke playing ressies for east Freo in the mid season draft. That should help.

I am wondering if Bennell was told to ‘hold back’ after the first quarter and told to just play out the game so he isn’t injured for Freo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
No. Bennell was tagged out of the game by Hoskins. Hoskins went to Crowden in the first quarter and then shadowed Bennell for the rest of the game.

But there would still be no point in Bennell going hard - he couldn’t give a s**t about the outcome of the game

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Stats say he got 27 disposals. Did he end up being fairly ineffective?
Was really good in the first quarter. Then Hoskins took him out of the game. From memory he only had 2 in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd.
Got a few cheap ones at the end when it was all over.
Played inside for the majority of the game. Tried to isolate himself on Hoskins at times but that didn’t work either.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
What stood out today is just how mind blowing the transition must be between WAFL and AFL.

You go from a small crowd of mums, dads and curious bystanders, and a club held together by loyal volunteers with basic facilities, to a huge stage. I’m now watching the replay of Freo at the MCG. I can only imagine how confronting that would be for younger players.

Haven’t been to a WAFL game in years. Have to admire those committed to keeping it all together. They had volunteers running the kiosk, and imagine many of the other crew were volunteers as well.

westy1

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2006
denmark
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
east freo
What stood out today is just how mind blowing the transition must be between WAFL and AFL.

You go from a small crowd of mums, dads and curious bystanders, and a club held together by loyal volunteers with basic facilities, to a huge stage. I’m now watching the replay of Freo at the MCG. I can only imagine how confronting that would be for younger players.

Haven’t been to a WAFL game in years. Have to admire those committed to keeping it all together. They had volunteers running the kiosk, and imagine many of the other crew were volunteers as well.

Yeah
Not often I agree with Mick Malthouse but yesterday morning he made a point of calling out the contempt the AFL has for the feeder comps ala the WAFL
The point was being made in regard to the mud season draft
no WAFL of SANFL club should struggle to keep afloat financially

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah
Not often I agree with Mick Malthouse but yesterday morning he made a point of calling out the contempt the AFL has for the feeder comps ala the WAFL
The point was being made in regard to the mud season draft
no WAFL of SANFL club should struggle to keep afloat financially

This whole mid season draft is s**t. Imagine a team loses its two best players and then struggles to make finals after that. Plus people lose even more interest in the comp.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Went and watched peel today for the first time in a while. What an eye opener.
I’ve seen tall trees that could ruck better than meek and jones. Yes they got there hand on the ball but never to advantage. Delahunty gave them a lesson around the ground.
McCarthy is an elite kick but doesn’t get it enough and is too often way out of position.
Banfeild was good when he was moved into the middle in the last half.
Colyer, north, Schultz were ineffective. Crowden doesn’t look like someone pushing into an afl team. Looks like he can only play inside and his ball use is only average.
There hands are slow and there decision making is poor at best.
I doubt many of the Freo listed players would get a game for subi. Some of the subi guys must wonder how these blokes get drafted.
On the plus side Bennell was good until Hoskins tagged him out of the game.
Logue did some good things but looks like someone who has missed 2 yrs.
Giro looks lively as an outside mid but did a knee today.
Carter was useful but got found out a few times defensively when peel turned it over.
Luckily we picked up a bloke playing ressies for east Freo in the mid season draft. That should help.
Thanks for your report.

Logue really needs to get a bunch of games and continuity, but seems he might be fast-tracked to play some AFL. At least you know he will compete.

Crowden has been fairly consistent and prob a good sign that Subiaco warranted tagging him in the first quarter before the hard tag went to Bennell.

Colyer I have found underwhelming from the beginning. He really needs to pull his finger out.

I haven’t seen anything promising from Meek and he seems to be scared of his own shadow esp. when it comes to marking contests.

McCarthy needs to pick up his act as well. Seems as though after a terrible first half he had a much better second half.

Aside from the finals in 2016/17 Peel have been terrible against Subiaco. I remember a night game last season where Peel struggled to score and ended up just playing all 18 in Subiaco’s F50.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Docker44 pretty much nailed from what I saw. It was not a game for the archives, and one I am pretty keen to move on from.

Positives:

It was a sensational winters day in sunny Mandurah.

Not sure why, but Harley just looks less fragile than he has in his past comebacks. He looks a lot more confident in his body to me - played a lot of midfield minutes. He still has a lot of rust, and made some horrific clangers, but then he did some things that were just sublime. Hope he stays healthy!

I thought Jason Carter had his best game so far, started to take the game on and run. As D44 said, he got caught out a few times, but that is probably symptomatic of the whole backline being disorganised. Once Nyhuis got injured the had to reshuffle and Tom North is NOT a defender.

Griffin Logue is building. He attacks the contest with a ferocity that is frightening at times, hurts others and himself so he may need to moderate that a bit. But he gives 100% all of the time and I'll take that over the feeble efforts of some others out there.

Not going to get into the negatives because there were far too many and there's really no point rehashing them game after game.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I think Docker44 pretty much nailed from what I saw. It was not a game for the archives, and one I am pretty keen to move on from.

Positives:

Not sure why, but Harley just looks less fragile than he has in his past comebacks. He looks a lot more confident in his body to me - played a lot of midfield minutes. He still has a lot of rust, and made some horrific clangers, but then he did some things that were just sublime. Hope he stays healthy!

I thought Jason Carter had his best game so far, started to take the game on and run. As D44 said, he got caught out a few times, but that is probably symptomatic of the whole backline being disorganised. Once Nyhuis got injured the had to reshuffle and Tom North is NOT a defender.

Griffin Logue is building. He attacks the contest with a ferocity that is frightening at times, hurts others and himself so he may need to moderate that a bit. But he gives 100% all of the time and I'll take that over the feeble efforts of some others out there.

Not going to get into the negatives because there were far too many and there's really no point rehashing them game after game.

I used to wonder about all the hype around Bennell until I saw him today - considering how long he’s been out, he has an amazing ability to read the game. A fit Bennell playing with Fyfe would be something to see!

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Positives:

What was the injury to Nyhuis? Did he play out the game - from what I gathered he was rotated between bench and fwd line and had minimal possessions.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
What was the injury to Nyhuis? Did he play out the game - from what I gathered he was rotated between bench and fwd line and had minimal possessions.

Looked like ankle / lower leg. Obviously not too serious, but they "hid" him in the forward line (where he was useless) as he was not very mobile at all - another reason why Subiaco got on top in the middle quarters.

Pretty sure it won't end up being much.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Thinking more about the game, Bennell, Carter and Logue are the only ones we had who looked vaguely competent and while Harley was good at times, he lacked a bit of pace etc. I feel he needs to come up to AFL level where he can play the cameo roles that guys like Bewley and Cerra are playing rather than be the number one dog.

Subiaco quickly worked out that Bennell was the only competent mid Peel had then locked him up.

Giro and Crowden were ordinary and slow.
North Started on the bench then got shoe horned into the BP when Nyhuis hurt himself. He was ordinary all day.

Logue was ok. Seems to drop a lot of ball and got led to the ball a bit but may improve.

Carter showed a fair bit I thought. His ball use was good and he showed dash.
Colyer was s**t. His attitude also stank..he was lazy
McCarthy struggled to get involved but his ball use was first rate.

I didn’t mind Meek. He showed so dash at times, and his marking was good at times.

Jones..meh.

Tobe Watson is playing as a full back. He’s not suited to it. He’s too light and he gets moved too easily. BUT his ball use is very good. Would be a good flanker.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thinking more about the game, Bennell, Carter and Logue are the only ones we had who looked vaguely competent and while Harley was good at times, he lacked a bit of pace etc. I feel he needs to come up to AFL level where he can play the cameo roles that guys like Bewley and Cerra are playing rather than be the number one dog.

Subiaco quickly worked out that Bennell was the only competent mid Peel had then locked him up.

Giro and Crowden were ordinary and slow.
North Started on the bench then got shoe horned into the BP when Nyhuis hurt himself. He was ordinary all day.

Logue was ok. Seems to drop a lot of ball and got led to the ball a bit but may improve.

Carter showed a fair bit I thought. His ball use was good and he showed dash.
Colyer was ****. His attitude also stank..he was lazy
McCarthy struggled to get involved but his ball use was first rate.

I didn’t mind Meek. He showed so dash at times, and his marking was good at times.

Jones..meh.

Tobe Watson is playing as a full back. He’s not suited to it. He’s too light and he gets moved too easily. BUT his ball use is very good. Would be a good flanker.

Jones was named in the best?

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Disappointed to see your observations on north in the games I have watched he seems the most likely to play seniors .have been impressed with his ball winning and the extra work he has done in the gym is a good size now and looks fitter

Yeah but he’s not a bp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would love to see McCarthy pushed to the midfield/wing at Peel. Teach him how to get involved around the contest, then send him deep forward. He's somebody that if he figures it out could make a huge difference to our first team in the next 2/3 years. The only others playing for peel I'd have in this category atm are:
1) Bennell
2) Darcy (didn't play on weekend)
3) Carter
4) Logue

Others are - Hill, Sturt and Valente

Back