2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Webb’s WAFL writs-up indicated Logue spent time on both Delahunty and Sokol.

Having a look at Sokol’s stats over the past couple years he is more than handy. In his 2013 draft year I found this interesting information about him; “He is the number one endurance athlete in the WA U18s squad this season.”

From an article I found on draft qualities in the lead up 2018 AFL draft:
Sokol has kicked 92 goals across the 2017/18 seasons. He can play tall with his marking ability, while also being able to play high up the ground makes him a natural, all-round threat.

The way the game is currently trending, it’s the skillset of Sokol that can immediately improve a team’s list.

He kicked 5 goals in the WAFL GF, 5 goals in round 1 and 4 goals in the WAFL state game.

Is he worth a look at for a rookie spot next year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Webb’s WAFL writs-up indicated Logue spent time on both Delahunty and Sokol.

Having a look at Sokol’s stats over the past couple years he is more than handy. In his 2013 draft year I found this interesting information about him; “He is the number one endurance athlete in the WA U18s squad this season.”

From an article I found on draft qualities in the lead up 2018 AFL draft:
Sokol has kicked 92 goals across the 2017/18 seasons. He can play tall with his marking ability, while also being able to play high up the ground makes him a natural, all-round threat.

The way the game is currently trending, it’s the skillset of Sokol that can immediately improve a team’s list.

He kicked 5 goals in the WAFL GF, 5 goals in round 1 and 4 goals in the WAFL state game.

Is he worth a look at for a rookie spot next year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d say so but I wonder what the knock on him is?

Been plenty of medium WAFL forwards better than Sokol in recent memory who weren't much chop at top level. Moss, Strijk, Brock O'Brien, Dennis-Lane, I'm sure there are more.
He (Sokol) plays tall right even though he's only 185? Not much call for those sort of players as mature agers. You need to be an exceptional talent to succeed like that even coming in though normal pathways (De Goey level.)

Nl8XnGr.png

eWa35LX.png

Grundy ended up with 47. Didn’t even know that. 3/4 of the taps were sharked by Freo anyway.
I actually really like this. Strategically it gives more flexibility in the type of player we use in the ruck. I like Darcy but am worried that for him to be successful for us he almost needs to become dominant due to his lack of mobility or second position. And I think the likelihood of him becoming dominant are not great.

I actually really like this. Strategically it gives more flexibility in the type of player we use in the ruck. I like Darcy but am worried that for him to be successful for us he almost needs to become dominant due to his lack of mobility or second position. And I think the likelihood of him becoming dominant are not great.

Really?

The reason I'm so keen for Darcy is that I think his follow up work is excellent. At AFL level I don't think he's going to become a really dominant (ie Sandi) level tap ruck but it's his follow up work in the contest I like. I think he's also shown a couple of times at Peel that he can play ok up forward, certainly better than any ruck we've had since JLo days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that Darcy's ground level work is good, and combined with his tap ability will mean he has a relevance at AFL level. But in the short term he will be exposed by super athletic rucks who can rush forward constantly.

Jones and Meek are the ones I would say are closer to irrelevance.

Really?

The reason I'm so keen for Darcy is that I think his follow up work is excellent. At AFL level I don't think he's going to become a really dominant (ie Sandi) level tap ruck but it's his follow up work in the contest I like. I think he's also shown a couple of times at Peel that he can play ok up forward, certainly better than any ruck we've had since JLo days.
Nothing you have said there contradicts my statement. Many AFL rucks are handy forward, but our backline would love seeing them playing forward. They would have an intercept party and then go for a run just to celebrate.

Nothing you have said there contradicts my statement. Many AFL rucks are handy forward, but our backline would love seeing them playing forward. They would have an intercept party and then go for a run just to celebrate.

Well it kinda does in that I don't think he needs to become a dominant tap ruck at all, and I think he projects to be above average as far as AFL rucks go playing forward and around the ground.

But I would agree with your other idea that us getting used to not having the Sandi-esq dominant tap ruck is probably an overall benefit.

Well it kinda does in that I don't think he needs to become a dominant tap ruck at all, and I think he projects to be above average as far as AFL rucks go playing forward and around the ground.

But I would agree with your other idea that us getting used to not having the Sandi-esq dominant tap ruck is probably an overall benefit.
Ok, your original reply says you think he can be ok up forward, not better than average. That's the problem with a word like "ok". But for me I haven't seen it, and while he is ok at ground level his mobility and speed is bog ordinary, and it needs to improve (and seems to be the club's major focus for him). You add better than any ruck since JLo, and I assume you exclude Lobb.

He definitely needs to become dominant, or at worst 50/50 against the opposition rucks, or I don't see the value. Early days for him, but I would look at other options that are a lot more adaptable than our current back-ups Jones and Meek who seem to be in the list to compete with him for the position.

Feels like Peel get smashed every week and yet are somehow in the top 5. West Coast look to be wooden spooners so maybe our depth isn't as bad as it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back