2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Nyhuis had 2 good games, the third not so much, but I may’ve remembered that incorrectly.
You might be right (I think his second game was decent) but my point remains. He will likely get another chance and like Hughes (also from the rookie list) he needs to make it very difficult for team selection committee to drop him.

Just got back from game - left 10 mins into last quarter as I was freezing by nuts off.

A good effort by Peel today, all be it against an ordinary Swans outfit.

Skills were OK considering the slippery conditions. I thought that nobody really stood out in a very even performance. Some dot points:

- I thought Meek's performance was the best I had seen from him. Won his hitouts and made an impact around the ground. Kicked a booming 60m goal and also shanked a sitter out of bounds. Took some grabs and maybe there is a bit to work with there.
- Sturt oozes class. Was not a high possession getter but some of his touches in tight were very deft. I don't think he should play this season - very light - but later on if our season is gone Ross might chuck him a game at the end.
- Crowden was very busy. I think his natural spot is at the bottom of the packs. Not an outside player IMO.
- Duman was very poised. Overall the backs did a good job.
- North, Colyer and Nyhuis were solid without standing out.
- Dixon looks quite comfortable down back. Won a couple of contested one-on-one grabs and is a decent field kick. The kid can take a grab although I worry about his pace.
- Carter showed dash and takes the game on. Not the tightest defender out there though.
- Bell should be in the AFL. Full stop.

Cannot think of much else to say other than the situation that we had earlier when the side was the Land of the Giants was untenable. Jones and Meek cannot play in the same side.

Adios

I’m with you, 2 good games.
Fair enough - prob unlucky not get another chance.
I like Nyhuis - tough no frills defender under the radar playing a position I played myself.

My point is that some are over reacting to his non selection making comments like Rosco has issues with hm etc etc

Anyhow hope Meek’s ankle is a minor strain. Him backing up that performance is the key.

At some point Crowden is going to have to get a game given the numbers he is putting out. With the volume of touches he is getting AS well as tackles, is there any reason he couldnt be Neale 2.0?
Not as clever in tight as Lachie but I think he can be a good player. He has enough attributes.

Not as clever in tight as Lachie but I think he can be a good player. He has enough attributes.
I'm wondering what factors determine if players of that size make it. Is it the speed you need to have?

Crowden has the benefit of being able to tackle unlike Neale so does that make up for his short-comings.

From a stats perspective, Crowden is destroying the WAFL. As I understand it, a lot of these are close to nothing possessions but was/is Neale any different?

Will find it hard to get into our midfield but the dude must find it frustrating

I'm wondering what factors determine if players of that size make it. Is it the speed you need to have?

Crowden has the benefit of being able to tackle unlike Neale so does that make up for his short-comings.

From a stats perspective, Crowden is destroying the WAFL. As I understand it, a lot of these are close to nothing possessions but was/is Neale any different?

Will find it hard to get into our midfield but the dude must find it frustrating
My take, is that he lacks awareness and gets holding the ball at the AFL level too much.

That was in his first year and in a team that was struggling. So maybe, too harsh.

I haven’t seen Crowden this year, haven’t made it to a wafl game, but the difference in composure from what I’ve seen is massive. Neale is a very cool customer.

Crowden is getting better every week in the WAFL, reckon he is giving it everything he has every week! seems he is taking not being selected as motivation which is really positive and a good indication of his mental strength, look forward to seeing what he can do when he gets his call up!
Reckon they should bring him in for the derby and leave him in the back half with instructions to tackle his heart out a crunch their annoying ******* small forwards all game

My take, is that he lacks awareness and gets holding the ball at the AFL level too much.

That was in his first year and in a team that was struggling. So maybe, too harsh.
Your call is a fair one. However in watching and listening to his WAFL games and highlights this season the issue has improved as the season has gone on. I think until the selection committee see evidence of this in WAFL he won’t get selected. He must be getting close.

Re: composure - also a fair call but took Neale a few seasons to get that composure. Although I agree Neale had him covered from day one.

Neale played about 15-16 WAFL games across the 2012/2013 seasons averaging 23.7 possessions.

I expect Crowden to play a few AFL games this season and see how far he has improved his awareness and composure.

Crowden’s state combine results in terms of speed, endurance and vertical leap were very impressive so a bit to work with.

His a small guy so can’t rely on his size in the midfield like a Mundy. He needs to build an elite tank if he is going to make it.

Your call is a fair one. However in watching and listening to his WAFL games and highlights this season the issue has improved as the season has gone on. I think until the selection committee see evidence of this in WAFL he won’t get selected. He must be getting close.

Re: composure - also a fair call but took Neale a few seasons to get that composure. Although I agree Neale had him covered from day one.

Neale played about 15-16 WAFL games across the 2012/2013 seasons averaging 23.7 possessions.

I expect Crowden to play a few AFL games this season and see how far he has improved his awareness and composure.

Crowden’s state combine results in terms of speed, endurance and vertical leap were very impressive so a bit to work with.

For mine positioning as well as awareness and playing to strengths is what makes it work for Neale. I concur though that Crowden has improved the awareness area of his game. Crowden also took on a lot of players at junior levels ala a player bigger than himself and it just doesn't work for him at even WAFL level as the size / strength difference is just too much; he has been working through that slowly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its been covered by others but you could see with how he played last year that he was always one of the strongest and fastest players in underage footy. He will never be that in the AFL so needed to adjust. Happy to hear that he has improved in that area.

I think he is a bit different to Lachie in style and I doubt will ever rack up 40+ frequently but as you say can tackle. He also is quick enough and can kick so if he can get his awareness up he could be a bit of a stoppage weapon. Closest comparison I can think of is Zorko - we should be so lucky.

I think its been covered by others but you could see with how he played last year that he was always one of the strongest and fastest players in underage footy. He will never be that in the AFL so needed to adjust. Happy to hear that he has improved in that area.

I think he is a bit different to Lachie in style and I doubt will ever rack up 40+ frequently but as you say can tackle. He also is quick enough and can kick so if he can get his awareness up he could be a bit of a stoppage weapon. Closest comparison I can think of is Zorko - we should be so lucky.
Problem is his competition for spots is Conca. Ross ain’t taking him out. Him and maybe Blakely.

The beauty is we can develop these guys in the wafl, and not have to rush them in needlessly like last year. Look at Myers for the cats, spent 2 years in the rezzies.

Last edited:
oGKaWBv.png

wpiGG8J.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back