2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure who you're referring too :$

Either way, I'm not particularly hopeful for O'Reilly TBH, I would put money on him not making it. Just doesn't seem to have that natural ability despite reasonable physique and pedigree. But I'm also willing to hold off and see where it all lands. I was also implying that the club would have known that he wasn't going to be able to show too much this season despite using the mid-season pick on him - though I'd have hoped for more myself, that is really what I was saying.

Sorry there yes Strnadica...we delisted and is definitely on the up at East Fremantle.

I’m not ready to retire yet, declares Fremantle Dockers veteran Ballantyne
Chris RobinsonThe West Australian
Sunday, 11 August 2019 4:49PM
Fremantle veteran Hayden Ballantyne has declared he isn’t ready to call time on his AFL career just yet, raising the possibility of shifting to another club next year if the Dockers can’t offer him a new deal.

Ballantyne, 32, has been widely tipped to retire when his contract runs out at season’s end after mustering just two senior appearances this year.

But the 170-gamer told Mix 94.5 he was eager to play for at least one more season, at either AFL level or with WAFL club Peel Thunder.

“I think I can still play for another year or two,” Ballantyne said.
“I’ve definitely got the drive, the ambition and the passion to play.
“The body’s holding up now. I had a hammy (issue) earlier on in the year, but the body’s pulling up good after games and I’m still running out games really strong.
“I definitely still think I’ve got a year or two.
“Whether that’s at AFL level or state league I’m not sure, but I’ll definitely be playing next year at some level.”
Ballantyne said his manager Colin Young had been in “constant talks” with the Dockers throughout the year to look to negotiate a new contract.
But the goalsneak would be prepared to consider the prospect of a move east if a deal with Fremantle couldn’t be struck and a rival club came calling.
“Absolutely, that’s something I’d definitely look at,” he said.
“I’d have to tick it off with the boss at home and make sure she was happy with that. But I’d be open to anything like that.
“I love playing footy. It’s the best job in the world to get up, go to training, do what we do every week and get out and play a game.
“It’s the best job in the world and I want to do it for as long as I physically can.”
Ballantyne said he was yet to have a conversation with Dockers coach Ross Lyon about the prospect of playing next week for Fremantle’s final home game of the season.
The man who sits third on Freo’s all-time goalkicking list finished with 1.2 from 17 touches at WAFL level yesterday, adding five tackles in an attempt to earn a recall.
But Ballantyne said he would understand if the club overlooked him for the clash against Essendon.
“It’s always going to be club first,” he said.
“If the club can still play finals and I’m not in the (best) 22, then I wouldn’t ask for it and I wouldn’t expect it.
“It always has been and always will be about what’s best for the club.
“But it might not be a farewell, you never know. I might be playing again next year in purple.”

Sorry there yes Strnadica...we delisted and is definitely on the up at East Fremantle.

Yeah, right. For sure, I'd rather Luke on the list right now. Never thought he should have been de-listed TBH, not ahead of Jones for example (though he had a contract so I get it).

Like I said, I don't particularly rate Dillon - and if it were up to me I'd for sure have Luke in the team ahead of him. But I console myself recognising that O'Reilly is not going to be able to show us what he's got for a while yet ... so I'm willing to wait and see.

Ballantyne, 32, has been widely tipped to retire when his contract runs out at season’s end after mustering just two senior appearances this year.

But the 170-gamer told Mix 94.5 he was eager to play for at least one more season, at either AFL level or with WAFL club Peel Thunder.

Let's also welcome in David Myers, Harry Taylor....any others ;) Solve the depth issue with age and experience.:eek:

After seeing the South Freo stats vs Peel on the weekend...

One guy stood out at South Freo.

Mason Shaw: 3 goals and 3 behinds vs Peel on the weekend.

Port picked him up in 2012. Was on Ports list from 2013-15. I saw him play at the Port Magpies in the SANFL and Never got a Game for Port Power in the AFL. He wasnt too bad

then you look at his last 4 years in the WAFL....

51 goals, 30 behinds in 2016,

44 goals, 28 behinds in 2017,

47 goals 22 behinds in 2018

and now 42 goals and 24 behinds this year.

I know we got Hogan and Lobb now.

I am still suprised we never gave him a chance after he left Port in 2015 or after 2016 when he kicked 51 goals.

RlgT0Z8.png

OA4ub3f.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not ready to retire yet, declares Fremantle Dockers veteran Ballantyne
Chris RobinsonThe West Australian
Sunday, 11 August 2019 4:49PM
Fremantle veteran Hayden Ballantyne has declared he isn’t ready to call time on his AFL career just yet, raising the possibility of shifting to another club next year if the Dockers can’t offer him a new deal.

“I think I can still play for another year or two,” Ballantyne said.
“I’ve definitely got the drive, the ambition and the passion to play.
“The body’s holding up now. I had a hammy (issue) earlier on in the year, but the body’s pulling up good after games and I’m still running out games really strong.
“I definitely still think I’ve got a year or two.
“Whether that’s at AFL level or state league I’m not sure, but I’ll definitely be playing next year at some level.”
Ballantyne said his manager Colin Young had been in “constant talks” with the Dockers throughout the year to look to negotiate a new contract.
But the goalsneak would be prepared to consider the prospect of a move east if a deal with Fremantle couldn’t be struck and a rival club came calling.
“Absolutely, that’s something I’d definitely look at,” he said.
“I’d have to tick it off with the boss at home and make sure she was happy with that. But I’d be open to anything like that.
“I love playing footy. It’s the best job in the world to get up, go to training, do what we do every week and get out and play a game.
“It’s the best job in the world and I want to do it for as long as I physically can.”
Ballantyne said he was yet to have a conversation with Dockers coach Ross Lyon about the prospect of playing next week for Fremantle’s final home game of the season.
The man who sits third on Freo’s all-time goalkicking list finished with 1.2 from 17 touches at WAFL level yesterday, adding five tackles in an attempt to earn a recall.
But Ballantyne said he would understand if the club overlooked him for the clash against Essendon.
“It’s always going to be club first,” he said.
“If the club can still play finals and I’m not in the (best) 22, then I wouldn’t ask for it and I wouldn’t expect it.
“It always has been and always will be about what’s best for the club.
“But it might not be a farewell, you never know. I might be playing again next year in purple.”
It’s really bad that the Club hasn’t spoken to Ballantyne about his future.

I wish that just go to him and to straight and honest with him.

Tell him that we won’t be renewing his contract and we celebrate his career like a farewell game.

It’s really bad that the Club hasn’t spoken to Ballantyne about his future.

I wish that just go to him and to straight and honest with him.

Tell him that we won’t be renewing his contract and we celebrate his career like a farewell game.

Sounds like they've spoken constantly but they haven't said whether his contract will be renewed or not?

Bell must be too busy working out the Hilly situation, what's the list manager doing I wonder?

Port picked him up in 2012. Was on Ports list from 2013-15. I saw him play at the Port Magpies in the SANFL and Never got a Game for Port Power in the AFL. He wasnt too bad

I am still suprised we never gave him a chance after he left Port in 2015 or after 2016 when he kicked 51 goals.
I’ve always been a fan of his. Wished we picked him that year. Just wasn’t getting any luck with injuries and was behind John Butcher, who has since been delisted as well.
Worth a go, but could be Similar to McCarthy. Albeit slightly taller and with better contested marking

The stats? - did you actually watch the game? IMO if you watch Mason Shaw you can see very quickly why he didn't make it AFL level - he is a one trick lead, mark and goal player. The problem is to be that in the AFL you have to be very fast (due to both the athleticism of the defenders and the ability of running players to clog up space), which he isn't, or have some kind of second option like being able to take contested marks or do something at ground level. To be fair I have seen him backup ruck so he does have that at least going for him. Call it the Ryan Murphy factor if you like.

Take Hugh Dixon who is still on an AFL list; he is actually pretty/very good when the ball is at ground level and also in contested marking situations, though even he is borderline and if he can't add either rucking and a level of endurance or increase his speed then he won't make it either.

The stats? - did you actually watch the game? IMO if you watch Mason Shaw you can see very quickly why he didn't make it AFL level - he is a one trick lead, mark and goal player. The problem is to be that in the AFL you have to be very fast (due to both the athleticism of the defenders and the ability of running players to clog up space), which he isn't, or have some kind of second option like being able to take contested marks or do something at ground level. To be fair I have seen him backup ruck so he does have that at least going for him. Call it the Ryan Murphy factor if you like.

Take Hugh Dixon who is still on an AFL list; he is actually pretty/very good when the ball is at ground level and also in contested marking situations, though even he is borderline and if he can't add either rucking and a level of endurance or increase his speed then he won't make it either.

Agree with this totally. After Dixon's go on the ball rucking the other week I would like them to give him a lot of games in this role. He really showed something. My concern is that if he is left as a full forward or fullback most the time in a lowly Peel side he won't develop much at all.

Agree with this totally. After Dixon's go on the ball rucking the other week I would like them to give him a lot of games in this role. He really showed something. My concern is that if he is left as a full forward or fullback most the time in a lowly Peel side he won't develop much at all.

I don't think he's a had a full preseason yet. Hopefully this year he can get stuck in in the gym and also hit the track hard with plenty of running and ball and skill work.

I agree I think he'll make a good forward/ruck in time.

I don't think he's a had a full preseason yet. Hopefully this year he can get stuck in in the gym and also hit the track hard with plenty of running and ball and skill work.

I agree I think he'll make a good forward/ruck in time.
I wonder if playing he and Sturt in the firsts would give us a sense of whether they could make it at the next level, in time. I'm not sure if playing in a sometimes shambles Peel team can tell you much

I wonder if playing he and Sturt in the firsts would give us a sense of whether they could make it at the next level, in time. I'm not sure if playing in a sometimes shambles Peel team can tell you much

After watching Sturt last Saturday it got me thinking how good do we think he could be?
I’ve had a look at the first round picks from last year and there are no obvious duds amongst that lot. There’s a couple of players there that we haven’t seen yet but they all look pretty good right out to pick 18, Duursma. It’s the first time I’ve seen him play. I noticed in pre season training that he seemed to shy away from body contact in some contests and last Saturday I saw similar behaviour in his first two contests. However, for the rest of the game he attacked the contest with real vigour, in one instance he tried to lay a tackle on a Souths player in the centre of the ground and he went so hard at the bigger body that he got flung into the air from the heavy contact. He also took a towering grab in the second quarter but had the ball taken off of him after North was penalised for shepherding in the marking contest.
For me he was the one glimmer of light from an otherwise disappointing display from our youngsters. I should also acknowledge that Valente and Watson weren’t playing so maybe I was overly pessimistic. Anyway my point is that if we can draw a line of potential ability from the players we have seen so far from last year’s first round, there’s a very good chance that Sturt could be a special player and in conjunction with Hogan, Tabs and an in-form McCarthy could form a formidable forward line next year.
What do people think? Could Sturt develop into an influential player in Freo’s front 6 next year? I will be incredibly disappointed if he doesn’t get played in the last 2 games of the season. I know Ballas needs a farewell game but surely not at the expense of someone like Sturt.

RoundPickDrafted ByPlayerCurrent TeamGames Since
Drafted
1​
1​
20​
1​
2​
19​
1​
3​
Izak Rankine​
0​
1​
4​
Max King​
0​
1​
5​
20​
1​
6​
12​
1​
7​
20​
1​
8​
18​
1​
9​
6​
1​
10​
19​
1​
11​
GWS
GWS
1​
1​
12​
18​
1​
13​
4​
1​
14​
GWS
GWS
7​
1​
15​
18​
1​
16​
Ned McHenry​
0​
1​
17​
Sam Sturt​
0​
1​
18​
19​

After watching Sturt last Saturday it got me thinking how good do we think he could be?
I’ve had a look at the first round picks from last year and there are no obvious duds amongst that lot. There’s a couple of players there that we haven’t seen yet but they all look pretty good right out to pick 18, Duursma. It’s the first time I’ve seen him play. I noticed in pre season training that he seemed to shy away from body contact in some contests and last Saturday I saw similar behaviour in his first two contests. However, for the rest of the game he attacked the contest with real vigour, in one instance he tried to lay a tackle on a Souths player in the centre of the ground and he went so hard at the bigger body that he got flung into the air from the heavy contact. He also took a towering grab in the second quarter but had the ball taken off of him after North was penalised for shepherding in the marking contest.
For me he was the one glimmer of light from an otherwise disappointing display from our youngsters. I should also acknowledge that Valente and Watson weren’t playing so maybe I was overly pessimistic. Anyway my point is that if we can draw a line of potential ability from the players we have seen so far from last year’s first round, there’s a very good chance that Sturt could be a special player and in conjunction with Hogan, Tabs and an in-form McCarthy could form a formidable forward line next year.
What do people think? Could Sturt develop into an influential player in Freo’s front 6 next year? I will be incredibly disappointed if he doesn’t get played in the last 2 games of the season. I know Ballas needs a farewell game but surely not at the expense of someone like Sturt.

RoundPickDrafted ByPlayerCurrent TeamGames Since
Drafted
1​
1​
20​
1​
2​
19​
1​
3​
Izak Rankine​
0​
1​
4​
Max King​
0​
1​
5​
20​
1​
6​
12​
1​
7​
20​
1​
8​
18​
1​
9​
6​
1​
10​
19​
1​
11​
GWS
GWS
1​
1​
12​
18​
1​
13​
4​
1​
14​
GWS
GWS
7​
1​
15​
18​
1​
16​
Ned McHenry​
0​
1​
17​
Sam Sturt​
0​
1​
18​
19​

I think with Sturt the issue has been / is what is he? We drafted him as a forward but then he spent the summer training off halfback then he has played a lot of games at WAFL on the wing. Watching him play at his best in the WAFL (he has not been as good since the concussions) he plays well as a midfielder, uses both his height and hands for marking, speed and kicking to good effect though if he is playing there he needs to build up his endurance. He also looked good the year before as a forward who could play small and tallish and be a difficult matchup; but then he kind of hasn't played that role since being at the club.

I think at his best possible outcome is a tall midfielder probably playing outside/in (he was not bad in congestion earlier in the season) with that combination of speed, towering marking, long kick that can also easily penetrate the goals. He looks a bit Lenny Hayes to me when he does that. But right now he obviously has a long way to go and those concussions were a huge setback and if midfield is where he is going ultimately then he needs to build up that endurance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back