apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I would like to have a look at him at the next if he is ok concussion wise. If he gets a game now it will be in his natural position i.e. as a half-forward so that should make it easier.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm struggling to understand any discussion around Sturt playing anywhere except half forward/high half forward?

I see him as the creative, talented missing link in our forward line...someone who can get separation from their opponent, has good hands and can deliver with skill in to the F50 when required. He's everything I'd hoped McCarthy would be and maybe more.

Why he needs to spend time on the wing, midfield and in the back line is mystifying.

I'm struggling to understand any discussion around Sturt playing anywhere except half forward/high half forward?

I see him as the creative, talented missing link in our forward line...someone who can get separation from their opponent, has good hands and can deliver with skill in to the F50 when required. He's everything I'd hoped McCarthy would be and maybe more.

Why he needs to spend time on the wing, midfield and in the back line is mystifying.
He has said that he sees his future in the midfield

I used to be an inside midfielder, so hopefully I can back to that with a good pre-season and some strength and conditioning.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most players want to be midfielders but not all get there. I agree with the Ginge that until he's ready or proves that he's a legitimate midfield option, he'd be great as a mobile third tall forward or mid-sized forward which is just what we need.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Need to take the concussion issue seriously, and I am fine with holding him back for another pre-season. But I want to see an early debut for both Sturt and Henry. Very few small/medium forwards are pure forwards, so I have no issue with him training for the midfield anyway. Some of the comments about him are Fyfe-esque, and we need several more of him right now.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
All over by the 4 points at Swans, in their favour.

Attachments

• 6EC47458-CB19-4411-8E3A-F5E4BEBAB442.png
    6EC47458-CB19-4411-8E3A-F5E4BEBAB442.png
    474.1 KB · Views: 176
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Freo players named for Peel this weekend:
- Tom North
- Tobe Watson
- Hugh Dixon
- Sam Sturt

That is all. Might get 2 or 3 of the Freo non-travelling emergencies I guess.
Even less now, with Dixon called up to the seniors.

Shoeless Joe

Team Captain
May 22, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Makes it f...ing hard on the AFL coach when our depth is so poor

So tomorrow we have the grand total of 3 listed players as our total backup

West Coast by comparison have at least 12 players named in the seconds tomorrow

The sooner we move over to having our own stand alone WAFL team the better.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Makes it f...ing hard on the AFL coach when our depth is so poor

So tomorrow we have the grand total of 3 listed players as our total backup

West Coast by comparison have at least 12 players named in the seconds tomorrow

The sooner we move over to having our own stand alone WAFL the better.
Won’t happen, without significant compensation to Peel. West Coast get a free pass in life; so no point. Much rather the AFL just hurry up and have an AFL reserves comp

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Won’t happen, without significant compensation to Peel. West Coast get a free pass in life; so no point. Much rather the AFL just hurry up and have an AFL reserves comp
What makes you think we even want Peel to win this week? Have you crunched the numbers? Tanking anyone?

AFL reserves comp will be the death knell of the WAFL. It's a strong competition and could be a very good gateway for our AFL team if our recruiters took more notice or prioritised taking payers who may have had one of two years apprenticeship for a WAFL team.

All that being said Freo can do much more to support the Peel team than providing a coach. Are our development coaches going to Peel training's? If not we need to get Peel seniors WAFL players to Cockburn once a week for their normal night training with all our coaches. Make all our facilities including GPS on game day, recovery, weights (as long as Webber stays away) video analysis and development coaches available for Peel.

While our players may have restrictions on an extra training session with the peel players there should be no reason why our coaches can't be there at least once a week drilling our plays, skills and systems and our fantastic facilities can't be made available.

Last edited:
Back