(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bastyy

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2015
Launceston, TAS
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hoping R.Bennell really steps it up this year, would love him in the MSD

Wonder which colts boys will step up to senior footy if any. I imagine J.Egan and D.Whelan will both be playing reserves or overage colts, but are 2 I'd like to see develop. T.Thorne could be a chance to step up? J.Knight and B.Middleton also 2 others I rate that could step up potentially

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Hoping R.Bennell really steps it up this year, would love him in the MSD

Wonder which colts boys will step up to senior footy if any. I imagine J.Egan and D.Whelan will both be playing reserves or overage colts, but are 2 I'd like to see develop. T.Thorne could be a chance to step up? J.Knight and B.Middleton also 2 others I rate that could step up potentially
Do those guys add depth, or do they bring us something we don't already have?

Bastyy

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2015
Launceston, TAS
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do those guys add depth, or do they bring us something we don't already have?
Neither, just kids I've watched and I'd love to see develop through the WAFL system

Bennell remains an exciting small forward prospect, an area in the short term we're probably lacking even with the addition of Henry and Serong. Bennell can fix that if we have a spot in the MSD

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Neither, just kids I've watched and I'd love to see develop through the WAFL system

Bennell remains an exciting small forward prospect, an area in the short term we're probably lacking even with the addition of Henry and Serong. Bennell can fix that if we have a spot in the MSD
Yeah there definitely seems to be some other talent out there. If we are hitting the mid season draft the most likely would be for a ruck or a KPD I think, but nothing wrong with just giving a kid the chance to be part of the club.

blue shark

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
As it might be the last year of the Peel-Freo alignment next year (or is it the year after?) I thought we should get a thread up early. Freo have drafted a bunch of exciting talent this year and I'm sure I'm not alone in that making it enticing to watch more Peel games in the coming season.

A forward line containing all of Sam Sturt, Liam Henry, Isaiah Butters and Michael Fredericks is certainly going to bring a lot more speed, skill and x-factor than we've been accustomed to watching at Peel in recent seasons. Will Lachie Schultz even have a spot at Peel let alone Freo next year? Not having to plonk multiple lumbering rucks up forward should help the cause as well. With Hugh Dixon injured (and being unsure of his return date), I will be interested to see whether they play Dillon O'Reilly as a KPF next year? I personally think he has the raw talent to succeed. However like most young KPFs it takes time to build the physicality and fitness to impact in senior footy - I'm expecting him to take a big step up with that in 2020. I hope he gets an opportunity to play that primary lead up tall forward target at Peel which he excelled at in his Colts' premiership year. With Henry, Fredericks, Brett Bewley, Mitch Crowden, Sturt and Butters all delivering the ball inside 50 I think the Peel forwards (including Blair Bell) should be pretty enthusiastic about getting some silver service next season. Some better forward line movement should help as well. It will likely be a very young forward line but a dynamic one.

In 2020, the Freo players that will make-up the Peel midfield will also start hitting that sweet age range like Blakely and Langdon did in the 2016 season which formed a big part of Peel's back to back premierships. Hopefully we finally get to see an unencumbered Luke Valente in 2020, adding inside class playing alongside Bailey Banfield, Crowden, Ben Howlett and Jackson Merrett. Also expecting Caleb Serong to step up to senior footy level, rotating midfield and forward, quite seamlessly with his quick hands and high footy IQ. Bewley started to hit his straps late in the Peel season this year, and (unless he's already in the Rd1 team - possible) I'm expecting him to dominate on the outside for Peel in 2020 and earn a Freo call up early-ish in the season. Tom North and Stefan Giro are playing for their future footy careers and I'm hoping that motivates them to have greater impact on the outside in the seconds. With more natural forwards on the list now I'm expecting to see Travis Colyer playing mainly on the wing at Peel. Like Bewley he started to have more impact late in the season so hoping that continues and leads to fast transition down the ground and plenty of supply for the Peel forward line.

This year the Peel defence suffered a bit from not having enough key defenders and relying on medium defenders to play taller. If I were Peel, I'd be looking to add an experienced KPD to their mix to provide an anchor down back (or perhaps we'll just see Matthew Piggott a lot?). Tobe Watson looked pretty good when he wasn't tasked with manning the primary KPF. Similarly with Taylin Duman, who has the height but not the physicality to play KPD. O'Reilly can play back but is better suited as a forward imo. Apart from that it looks pretty exciting down back with Jason Carter joined by Jarvis Pina and Leno Thomas. That is a serious injection of speed. If we do see Hayden Young at Peel he'll also help break the lines by foot but I don't think he'll be there long.

EXAMPLE TEAM

B Hayden Young ~ (Matthew Piggott) ~ Jarvis Pina

HB Jason Carter ~ Tobe Watson ~ Taylin Duman

C Brett Bewley ~ Bailey Banfield ~ Stefan Giro

HF Minairo Fredericks ~ (Blair Bell) ~ Sam Sturt

F Isaiah Butters ~ Dillon O'Reilly ~ Liam Henry

R Lloyd Meek ~ Luke Valente ~ Mitch Crowden

Others & Reserves (some of these, especially from the Peel list, will likely start ahead of some above)
I/C: Caleb Serong ~ Travis Colyer ~ Tom North ~ Leno Thomas ~ Lachie Schultz
Peel: (Ben Howlett) ~ (Jackson Merrett) ~ (Benjamin Hancock) ~ (Ryan Bennell) ~ (Traye Bennell)
Injured: Hugh Dixon
Other Freo players (as possible Freo B22) that we might see at Peel during the year: Sean Darcy, Brennan Cox, Matt Taberner, Cam McCarthy, Ethan Hughes, Griffin Logue, Sam Switkowski, Brandon Matera, Connor Blakely, Reece Conca, Blake Acres, James Aish, Adam Cerra

I'm not expecting miracles from Freo next year but I'm hoping to enjoy watching football at both Freo and Peel a lot more. How is everyone else feeling about it?
I think it be like watching Chris Judd at the Royals 😜 Young and Serong are ready to go.

Top Bottom