wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
0c7l8lipk2en.png

Last edited:
Hoping R.Bennell really steps it up this year, would love him in the MSD

Wonder which colts boys will step up to senior footy if any. I imagine J.Egan and D.Whelan will both be playing reserves or overage colts, but are 2 I'd like to see develop. T.Thorne could be a chance to step up? J.Knight and B.Middleton also 2 others I rate that could step up potentially

Hoping R.Bennell really steps it up this year, would love him in the MSD

Wonder which colts boys will step up to senior footy if any. I imagine J.Egan and D.Whelan will both be playing reserves or overage colts, but are 2 I'd like to see develop. T.Thorne could be a chance to step up? J.Knight and B.Middleton also 2 others I rate that could step up potentially
Do those guys add depth, or do they bring us something we don't already have?

Do those guys add depth, or do they bring us something we don't already have?
Neither, just kids I've watched and I'd love to see develop through the WAFL system

Bennell remains an exciting small forward prospect, an area in the short term we're probably lacking even with the addition of Henry and Serong. Bennell can fix that if we have a spot in the MSD

Neither, just kids I've watched and I'd love to see develop through the WAFL system

Bennell remains an exciting small forward prospect, an area in the short term we're probably lacking even with the addition of Henry and Serong. Bennell can fix that if we have a spot in the MSD
Yeah there definitely seems to be some other talent out there. If we are hitting the mid season draft the most likely would be for a ruck or a KPD I think, but nothing wrong with just giving a kid the chance to be part of the club.

As it might be the last year of the Peel-Freo alignment next year (or is it the year after?) I thought we should get a thread up early. Freo have drafted a bunch of exciting talent this year and I'm sure I'm not alone in that making it enticing to watch more Peel games in the coming season.

A forward line containing all of Sam Sturt, Liam Henry, Isaiah Butters and Michael Fredericks is certainly going to bring a lot more speed, skill and x-factor than we've been accustomed to watching at Peel in recent seasons. Will Lachie Schultz even have a spot at Peel let alone Freo next year? Not having to plonk multiple lumbering rucks up forward should help the cause as well. With Hugh Dixon injured (and being unsure of his return date), I will be interested to see whether they play Dillon O'Reilly as a KPF next year? I personally think he has the raw talent to succeed. However like most young KPFs it takes time to build the physicality and fitness to impact in senior footy - I'm expecting him to take a big step up with that in 2020. I hope he gets an opportunity to play that primary lead up tall forward target at Peel which he excelled at in his Colts' premiership year. With Henry, Fredericks, Brett Bewley, Mitch Crowden, Sturt and Butters all delivering the ball inside 50 I think the Peel forwards (including Blair Bell) should be pretty enthusiastic about getting some silver service next season. Some better forward line movement should help as well. It will likely be a very young forward line but a dynamic one.

In 2020, the Freo players that will make-up the Peel midfield will also start hitting that sweet age range like Blakely and Langdon did in the 2016 season which formed a big part of Peel's back to back premierships. Hopefully we finally get to see an unencumbered Luke Valente in 2020, adding inside class playing alongside Bailey Banfield, Crowden, Ben Howlett and Jackson Merrett. Also expecting Caleb Serong to step up to senior footy level, rotating midfield and forward, quite seamlessly with his quick hands and high footy IQ. Bewley started to hit his straps late in the Peel season this year, and (unless he's already in the Rd1 team - possible) I'm expecting him to dominate on the outside for Peel in 2020 and earn a Freo call up early-ish in the season. Tom North and Stefan Giro are playing for their future footy careers and I'm hoping that motivates them to have greater impact on the outside in the seconds. With more natural forwards on the list now I'm expecting to see Travis Colyer playing mainly on the wing at Peel. Like Bewley he started to have more impact late in the season so hoping that continues and leads to fast transition down the ground and plenty of supply for the Peel forward line.

This year the Peel defence suffered a bit from not having enough key defenders and relying on medium defenders to play taller. If I were Peel, I'd be looking to add an experienced KPD to their mix to provide an anchor down back (or perhaps we'll just see Matthew Piggott a lot?). Tobe Watson looked pretty good when he wasn't tasked with manning the primary KPF. Similarly with Taylin Duman, who has the height but not the physicality to play KPD. O'Reilly can play back but is better suited as a forward imo. Apart from that it looks pretty exciting down back with Jason Carter joined by Jarvis Pina and Leno Thomas. That is a serious injection of speed. If we do see Hayden Young at Peel he'll also help break the lines by foot but I don't think he'll be there long.

EXAMPLE TEAM

B Hayden Young ~ (Matthew Piggott) ~ Jarvis Pina

HB Jason Carter ~ Tobe Watson ~ Taylin Duman

C Brett Bewley ~ Bailey Banfield ~ Stefan Giro

HF Minairo Fredericks ~ (Blair Bell) ~ Sam Sturt

F Isaiah Butters ~ Dillon O'Reilly ~ Liam Henry

R Lloyd Meek ~ Luke Valente ~ Mitch Crowden

Others & Reserves (some of these, especially from the Peel list, will likely start ahead of some above)
I/C: Caleb Serong ~ Travis Colyer ~ Tom North ~ Leno Thomas ~ Lachie Schultz
Peel: (Ben Howlett) ~ (Jackson Merrett) ~ (Benjamin Hancock) ~ (Ryan Bennell) ~ (Traye Bennell)
Injured: Hugh Dixon
Other Freo players (as possible Freo B22) that we might see at Peel during the year: Sean Darcy, Brennan Cox, Matt Taberner, Cam McCarthy, Ethan Hughes, Griffin Logue, Sam Switkowski, Brandon Matera, Connor Blakely, Reece Conca, Blake Acres, James Aish, Adam Cerra

I'm not expecting miracles from Freo next year but I'm hoping to enjoy watching football at both Freo and Peel a lot more. How is everyone else feeling about it?
I think it be like watching Chris Judd at the Royals 😜 Young and Serong are ready to go.

Howlett is still Captain btw. Was this year as well. Hancock is Vice Captain. Bell is in the leadership group though. Merrett and Lawler maybe as well?

Ben was on the radio the other day talking about Peel. They sound pretty excited about next year - less injuries heading into pre-season and they have a couple of youngsters coming through as well (Peel almost won the Colts remember) like Knight and Ewing. Would be great to steal a premiership off Subi again before Peel and Freo split.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howlett is still Captain btw. Was this year as well. Hancock is Vice Captain. Bell is in the leadership group though. Merrett and Lawler maybe as well?

Ben was on the radio the other day talking about Peel. They sound pretty excited about next year - less injuries heading into pre-season and they have a couple of youngsters coming through as well (Peel almost won the Colts remember) like Knight and Ewing. Would be great to steal a premiership off Subi again before Peel and Freo split.

Subi are stealing a premiership every year they win (might start to change now).

Serious Question......

Any of you people expect Peel to finish in the top 5/ play finals in 2020?
Will depend a fair bit on (key) injuries but Peel really should be playing finals next year. The spine hasn't been great the past two years, made even worse by having to fit too many rucks into the League team. But the midfield has been pretty good and will likely be even stronger next year with Banfield, Crowden and others starting to show that same body maturity Blakely and Langdon had during Peel's premiership years. Adding a fair bit of speed across all lines as well which has been sorely missed in recent times. The question mark remains the spine - and given the lack of talls in full training at Freo currently there aren't any guarantees. But a lot of our tall depth should be much more solid in 2020. I'm expecting O'Reilly to take a big step up - and hoping he's played as a forward. Think he'll be much better working with some quick smalls around him. Dixon was showing glimpses this year so hopefully he gets over his injury. As too were Meek and Watson. And if and when guys like Blakely, Conca, Hughes, Cox, Logue and Duman spend time at WAFL, I'd expect them to dominate - they are seasoned bodies now. Our new youngsters are all in supporting roles (not spine/contested ball winners) - so expecting they can all impact immediately on the outside for Peel.

Think the equation is simple. Reduce Freo injuries (especially talls), Peel play finals. Have an injury list like last season and it'll be an uphill battle, perhaps squeezing into finals but going nowhere.

I see guys like Serong, Henry, O'Reilly and Cox to do some serious damage next year for the Thunder and having a guy like Ballantyne playing full-time for Peel will do nothing but good things for Henry and the rest of the small forwards. Henry & Serong will debut halfway to late in the year because I only see Young debuting early, there aren't any spots for those two in the team as there are people ahead of him.

WAFL Fixture is out...

First 3 rounds -> East Perth, East Freo, Perth then Subi in Rd 4.

An addition to Ballas, Peel has also signed 27yo Hayden Yarran who last played for Subiaco in 2016 (only 2 League games in his career so far and kicked 2 and 5 goals respectively - so he's a typical Yarran). Peel will be his 5th WAFL club!

Also signed Thomas Quaife (198cm 26yo key defender) from East Freo reserves, and James Lindroth (know nothing about him) from Bencubbin.

Ben Harding is on his way out apparently - talented but too many short people on Freo's list already to get many opportunities at League level, so understandable.

There are quite a few Peel youngsters (coming from being the Colts runners-up last year) who will want to get a chance at League level... like:
  • Tyrone Thorne - small forward who was good at u18s for WA and unlucky not to be drafted
  • Jackson Knight - ball winning midfielder that was 2nd in the Colts Coaches Award. Seems likely to become a very good WAFL player.
  • Ben Middleton - forward who kicked the most goals in Colts this year and kicked a bag of 5 in the grand final
Peel also has some 2020 draft prospects that are flying under the radar a bit in:
  • Isiah Winder - Dynamic forward. Thought he was excellent in the Colts GF as a bottom ager.
  • David Yaccob - WA's u16 MVP last year. Winger. missed the Colt GF - assuming due to injury. not sure why he isn't in the u18s squad?
  • Luke Polson - 16yo 194cm utility that can ruck, defend, plays forward. Stepped up to the win a game for WA in u16s this year. Not sure if 2020 or 2021 prospect?

Really looking forward to this year at Peel. Just renewed my membership and hope to get to as many games as possible.

I think there will be some very exciting Dockers players running around, and it will be nice to see Peel be competitive once again. Still be more a group of players getting together every weekend than a cohesive team, but it's fun to see the new players bonding and working their butts off to get to the top level.

Membership is only $90 per year and Bendigo Bank Stadium (Rushton Park) is a great venue to watch footy - get on board and be part of the next generation of Dockers stars!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back