2nds Peel Thunder 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t see the game at all. Sounds like a good few freo boys were already on holidays.

Wagner pretty much the only positive from a freo perspective after half time.

Brodie not being able to impose himself at all is quite damning.
And this is the reason Brodie found himself out of the AFL team not bloody JOM. Easy scapegoat JOM. Brodie has underwhelmed this year full stop. He performed well last year with Mundy in the team.

As for today, thought Hamling was solid in the bits I watched. Hugh Davies young and will get a lot out of this season. I don’t know what the i50’s were but weren’t many from Peel so made it hard for likes of Emmett and those along the HF line.

Nothing has changed my mind on Corbett since the first game I saw him this year. I would delist and if we need to for contract reasons add him to rookie list. He obviously encourages well and is good team player. His high fives and tens can’t be underestimated.

Just not sure about Reidy. He has improved as the year has progressed but very slow.

Wagner is good.

I agree with others on NOD. He was better than last week but has completely spudded things up this year. Gone back to form from his rookie year that he spent at Peel.

Never been greatly impressed with Worner. That one moment in the first where he froze in the backline taking forever to even consider disposing then all was an absolute brain fade but also shows me like his AFL games that he may not have the composure necessary when the intensity steps up. He is on the rookie list so no big deal happy for him to try and turn things around next year.

All in all. Peel played many games back to back and East Fremantle were the top team and had two timely byes in the finals.

Delighted with the Sharks win but also , of course, had an eye on the Freo listed players with Peel. A few of us at the game all said the same thing re Peel, that is, they just didn’t seem that invested . Tommy did some great tackles and chased hard, Wilson and Wagner tried to give some rebound but over all Easts consistently had more players at every contest, which is down to nothing more that work rate.

Delighted with the Sharks win but also , of course, had an eye on the Freo listed players with Peel. A few of us at the game all said the same thing re Peel, that is, they just didn’t seem that invested . Tommy did some great tackles and chased hard, Wilson and Wagner tried to give some rebound but over all Easts consistently had more players at every contest, which is down to nothing more that work rate.
Work rate and game plan.
Easts just hunted all game, got the ball outside and ran.

Peel’s midfield just got destroyed. Brodie did nothing. Shocking to watch.
Peel had the ruck dominance but had nothing to show for it.

Hamling is so far and above WAFL level. He has found his mojo, form.

Spot on.

I haven’t seen enough of Peel to know if that’s their normal schtick but they got a lesson in desire and want today.

East Freo weren’t setting any skill meters alight, but they hunted in packs all day. Numbers where it mattered, runners where it mattered, desire where it mattered.

Fair dinkum, those two Emmett rundown tackles were all Peel brought to the intensity party.

There was a certain inevitability to East Fremantle winning but I was actually shocked and annoyed by how bad certain Freo-listed players were.

Few over reactions in here. I went to the game, well done East Freo, they bat deep, had great contribution and buy in from their entire squad.

Being runner up is a great season for Peel. If they had Banfield out there they would have won easily.

Emmett and Wagner were good, as was Reidy except his kicking was mostly crap except that one lace out forward entry which came outta nowhere.

I thought Brodie and NOD were OK. They weren't stars though. Hammer good.

Worner I agree his resigning is looking like a long shot now.

Disappointed by Davies, his intensity was way below what is required for a game like that. He was playing Sunday footy and going through the motions it felt.

And this next point is why the Freo player bashing is missing the mark. The non listed players didn't show up at all. Bell and Bennell in particular, two senior players, to me they offered nothing.

Really wish Kuek, Stanley, Banfield had all been fit for this match. The peel forward line in particular got smashed. A bit more quality up there would have helped a lot.

Anyhow, good game, and I take the one great positive out of it re. Emmett, what a machine that man is.

Few over reactions in here. I went to the game, well done East Freo, they bat deep, had great contribution and buy in from their entire squad.

Being runner up is a great season for Peel. If they had Banfield out there they would have won easily.

Emmett and Wagner were good, as was Reidy except his kicking was mostly crap except that one lace out forward entry which came outta nowhere.

I thought Brodie and NOD were OK. They weren't stars though. Hammer good.

Worner I agree his resigning is looking like a long shot now.

Disappointed by Davies, his intensity was way below what is required for a game like that. He was playing Sunday footy and going through the motions it felt.

And this next point is why the Freo player bashing is missing the mark. The non listed players didn't show up at all. Bell and Bennell in particular, two senior players, to me they offered nothing.

Really wish Kuek, Stanley, Banfield had all been fit for this match. The peel forward line in particular got smashed. A bit more quality up there would have helped a lot.

Anyhow, good game, and I take the one great positive out of it re. Emmett, what a machine that man is.
Damn you reminded me of Kuek, what an unlucky player. Chances are very slim he comes back from the injury and is offered a contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell was disappointing in the whole final series. He played one good game and the others were complete stinkers.

Re the forward line : I’m not sure what the i50 count ended up but the ball didn’t come in very often and when it did it was rushed and poor delivery. Thought all the forwards did alright with very limited supply.

Yeah beaten by a team that wanted it more & more to the point looked like a team that trained together & played together all year rather than a thrown together mob of our seconds & some Peel boys struggling for any cohesion.

Brody wasn’t awful. He had 25 & worked hard but didn’t seem to have anyone around him on the same page. Ditto Wilson, looked like he was playing by himself rather than as part of a group.
Davis has nice composure & a decent footy brain. Hamling a cut above. Colyer a few nice things.

Would have looked a lot different with Banners, Sturt, Erasmus, Stanley, Kuek. That was really the bottom of our barrel out there.

Yeah beaten by a team that wanted it more & more to the point looked like a team that trained together & played together all year rather than a thrown together mob of our seconds & some Peel boys struggling for any cohesion.

Brody wasn’t awful. He had 25 & worked hard but didn’t seem to have anyone around him on the same page. Ditto Wilson, looked like he was playing by himself rather than as part of a group.
Davis has nice composure & a decent footy brain. Hamling a cut above. Colyer a few nice things.

Would have looked a lot different with Banners, Sturt, Erasmus, Stanley, Kuek. That was really the bottom of our barrel out there.
Again, why didn’t Erasmus get to the minimum games required and play finals. Very stupid decision making in hindsight.
Bell and Gray kept fending off and getting caught.
Corbett was ******* useless. Has nothing other then marking on lead. Slow, can’t turn fast.
Just nothing worked.

Got to within 12 points, Peel up and about. What happens? Peel loses the next centre clearance easily and couldn’t get it out of their defensive 50. Just wasn’t working
Worst part? Fat Lazy Dixon kept selling candy and making smart handballs and taps. Ugh

So let me get this right. Easts breach the salary cap THIS year, but will get punished NEXT year, and get to keep the premiership?

Seems reasonable.

That aside, peel really missed a strong marking target up forward. And were woeful with the ball. And didn’t really want it.
No you simply just didn't get it right....

2022 cap breach apparently....discovered when the end of 2022 season accounts were audited mid this year....

SF breached cap in 2021, found out in 2022 audit and penalized for the 2023 footy season....EF will get the same, sounds reasonable action to me.

Last edited:
No you simply just didn't get it right....

2022 cap breach apparently....discovered when the end of 2022 season accounts were audited mid this year....

SF breached cap in 2021, found out in 2022 audit and penalized for the 2023 footy season....EF will get the same, sounds reasonable action to me.
So you can breach the salary cap, benefit from it in between, and get punished after.

It’s not really a deterrent, is it?

Again, why didn’t Erasmus get to the minimum games required and play finals. Very stupid decision making in hindsight.
Bell and Gray kept fending off and getting caught.
Corbett was ******* useless. Has nothing other then marking on lead. Slow, can’t turn fast.
Just nothing worked.

Got to within 12 points, Peel up and about. What happens? Peel loses the next centre clearance easily and couldn’t get it out of their defensive 50. Just wasn’t working
Worst part? Fat Lazy Dixon kept selling candy and making smart handballs and taps. Ugh
Not sure why this needs to be regurgitated (there are pages of this topic ITT back at the start of the finals series). Clearly the club is more interested in Erasmus building his body over the off season than playing WAFL finals. Having an extra month of bulking and hammering the gym has been identified as his best way to prepare for next season.

You don't need to just play football to get better at football.

Not sure why this needs to be regurgitated (there are pages of this topic ITT back at the start of the finals series). Clearly the club is more interested in Erasmus building his body over the off season than playing WAFL finals. Having an extra month of bulking and hammering the gym has been identified as his best way to prepare for next season.

Agreed. Honestly no big deal. Erasmus and the club decided best for him to play AFL even as a sub. He didn’t play Peel games in the second half of the year. Aside from Wagner who played majority of the second half the year in AFL the remainder were regular WAFL players. They went with core 11 players and made very little change through the finals series.

Would have been great for Stanley and Kuek but they were both injured.

Erasmus was rested/managed a few times over his run of AFL games (be it starting or as sub). Playing a bunch of WAFL games vs resting up and building his body in the gym for mine was a decent decision. He gets banged up in WAFL and I see no reason that this needs to keep being re-hashed by some posters.

To back up your point, unless there's injuries I missed Clay Hall and Ethan Stanley didn't play the finals series, and they were both eligible and (imo) easily best 22 for Peel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back