2nds Peel Thunder 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought it was one of NOD's better games.
Really! To me he was not even in the game.I hardly saw him, except when arguining with the umpires.
He has had a very disappointing season all round.
He will have to work very very hard to make an impression next season. He needs to be still running and training to keep the miles in his legs or he will become another also ran.
I thought Emmett worked hard , but never looked like taking the game by the scruff of the neck.
Reidy worked his butt off but to no affect. EF annihilated Peel at stoppages.

NOD is now trending towards 'not going to make it' territory to my mind. Sure a bad pre-season can impact your ability to run out games. Perhaps also dent your confidence and have you performing generally below your best. Not sure it should be causing you to lose repeated ground ball contests against WAFL players or get pinged HTB on the first step trying to go round them.

NOD is now trending towards 'not going to make it' territory to my mind. Sure a bad pre-season can impact your ability to run out games. Perhaps also dent your confidence and have you performing generally below your best. Not sure it should be causing you to lose repeated ground ball contests against WAFL players or get pinged HTB on the first step trying to go round them.
Yeah it sucks because it looked like he had a decent ceiling last year and now it looks like he'll do well to stay in the WAFL seniors.

This is exactly what he looked like the year before though

Its genuinely baffling

Probably just gonna be a one year wonder I guess
I seem to be alone in thinking he can turn it around. I can't recall him ever looking good at WAFL level, even before his call up last year. Even the AFL games I've seen him play this year are better than anything I've seen from him in the WAFL. His clearly got some good attributes to work with, and we've seen how good he can be, but he missed a lot of the back half of last year and the whole pre-season with a foot injury. That's a long way to work back from, especially for a less experienced guy. Give him another pre-season and I think we can get a good player out of him.

On the other hand I do think playing along side Acres bought the best out of him, so maybe he won't ever reach that level again until we can find an Acres replacement.

I seem to be alone in thinking he can turn it around. I can't recall him ever looking good at WAFL level, even before his call up last year. Even the AFL games I've seen him play this year are better than anything I've seen from him in the WAFL. His clearly got some good attributes to work with, and we've seen how good he can be, but he missed a lot of the back half of last year and the whole pre-season with a foot injury. That's a long way to work back from, especially for a less experienced guy. Give him another pre-season and I think we can get a good player out of him.

On the other hand I do think playing along side Acres bought the best out of him, so maybe he won't ever reach that level again until we can find an Acres replacement.
Or he joins Carlton🥸

Funnily enough, he was at his best when he played closer to goal even though he came through as a defender/winger/midfielder, which I gather is where he spent the majority of his Peel time. He's admitted that he's the type to get in his own head, and that last year just playing on instinct helped him a ton (How dashing Docker went from 'stress head' to goalkicking gun).

I'm with you: he's sufficiently talented to make it and seems to have the right mindset work ethic wise. If he works on his body in the off season and gets an injury free pre season, maybe that gives him the confidence to play his natural game.

Really! To me he was not even in the game.I hardly saw him, except when arguining with the umpires.
He has had a very disappointing season all round.
He will have to work very very hard to make an impression next season. He needs to be still running and training to keep the miles in his legs or he will become another also ran.
I thought Emmett worked hard , but never looked like taking the game by the scruff of the neck.
Reidy worked his butt off but to no affect. EF annihilated Peel at stoppages.
Well I thought the whole team was running around like a headless chook. I'm not going to disagree with everyone when I haven't seen a replay. But considering the overall drubbing our midfield got, I 'm not sure what an outside player could do. Should have been tried inside as should have Emmett.
He hasn't had a good year but in patches I thought he started to show some of his old self in this game despite the one sided nature of the game. Maybe I just had low expectations.
I agree in Emmett tried hard but didn't get much right other than the tackles. Reidy did his part but the midfield including Brodie imo were bog average.

I used to see NOD in my local Coles a fair bit this preseason. He looked knackered. Like crook. I thought he might have had a serious respiratory illness. I had to steer clear of him once coughing up lungbutter in the oil and spices aisle.

I also reckon he's a confidence player who has attributes that work best in space - super long stride, long kick on the run - with deficiencies that get exposed at lower levels, where there is less space and the turnovers are more frequent.

Regular Peel observers would often report he didn't show much at WAFL level prior to his good 2022 so, who knows, he might just be one of those blokes who do well when surrounded by better talent but he has to show something to get there and it will start with getting his body right.

I used to see NOD in my local Coles a fair bit this preseason. He looked knackered. Like crook. I thought he might have had a serious respiratory illness. I had to steer clear of him once coughing up lungbutter in the oil and spices aisle.

I also reckon he's a confidence player who has attributes that work best in space - super long stride, long kick on the run - with deficiencies that get exposed at lower levels, where there is less space and the turnovers are more frequent.

Regular Peel observers would often report he didn't show much at WAFL level prior to his good 2022 so, who knows, he might just be one of those blokes who do well when surrounded by better talent but he has to show something to get there and it will start with getting his body right.
That just reminded be that he also had that chest infection early on in the season. Would be hard to get back to full aerobic capacity with no pre-season followed by chest infection with who knows what prolonged effects. Another reason why I don't think we can write him off just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Bell won Peel's B&F last night, with Hamling 2nd and Brodie 3rd.

Brodie won player of the finals, which surprised me as I thought Hamling would romp that in.
Not even close.. Hamling clearly held it down back. Probably Peel’s best in the GF.

Good on Bell. He’s a solid no nonsense player

How about them Sharkies, eh?

Fast, aggressive, disciplined - proper Fremantle football.

They just kept making and using opportunity, always an outlet, always numbers at the ball. Spreading quicker than Cousins cocaine stories.

A privilege to witness. God willing, you should live long enough to tell your grandkids you were there that day.

How about them Sharkies, eh?

Fast, aggressive, disciplined - proper Fremantle football.

They just kept making and using opportunity, always an outlet, always numbers at the ball. Spreading quicker than Cousins cocaine stories.

A privilege to witness. God willing, you should live long enough to tell your grandkids you were there that day.
Speaking of Benny boy, was well and truly within the East Freo faithful after his Perth duties on the weekend, one block over

Both these teams would of lost to both the sanfl and vfl grand finalists of today.
Agreed 👍 I watched the sanfl grand final.

Glenelg was solid and finished top. Sturt had a strong season too. Both clubs were the best 2 teams in the sanfl this season , despite the crows SANFL side got into top 3.

Glenelg won 13.8.86 to Sturt 8.14.62.

Glenelg kicked 4 goals to 0 in the 1st quarter and kept that gap the whole game despite a late Sturt flurry in the 4th quarter

I think you will find that noone cares about that.
you dont mate, But some people do.

Saying that... I do Live in SA. So I do watch SANFL games and see if some SA blokes head to the dockers.

Saying that, I do keep a keen interest in WAFL games too, specifically Peel thunder as its Dockers ressies side.

Can confirm Walters was there watching the GF last weekend and wasn’t pleased at all. Left during the 3 rd Qtr.
He must've just moved seats in the 3rd quarter. He came and sat near us and was really getting into the game as a frustrated supporter. He didn't leave until after the final siren and was great on the way out, stopping for photos with anyone who asked. He only further cemented my already high opinion of him

He must've just moved seats in the 3rd quarter. He came and sat near us and was really getting into the game as a frustrated supporter. He didn't leave until after the final siren and was great on the way out, stopping for photos with anyone who asked. He only further cemented my already high opinion of him
What a legend.

So Peel lose the grand final to a team benefitting from a breach of the salary cap... and their penalty is for the 2024 season. Hmmmm.

So Peel lose the grand final to a team benefitting from a breach of the salary cap... and their penalty is for the 2024 season. Hmmmm.

Yep.

This was exactly my issue. Why would they care about penalties for next season, as long as they get to keep the cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back