2nds Peel Thunder 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems Hughes is considered a local player due to his original club being within Peel's zone. Not sure which club he was drafted from comes into it at all. Most players don't switch WAFL before being drafted but Hughes did.

The situation with Hughes is similar to a delisted AFL players returning to their original WAFL club. Must apply to players that switch WAFL then switch back too which is sort of what Hughes has done

This matter is slightly more confusing as Harvey is Peel's zone but Bunbury belongs to Swan Districts. I believe the Wikipedia page is wrong and and Hughes is actually from Harvey or somewhere nearby.
Harvey-Brunswick is correct. Not Bunbury. But the other part about Hughes being drafted from WAFL club Swan Districts is correct. He played WAFL with Swans at the time of drafting and then after being selected by Freo was moved like everyone across to Peel.
18D9316F-F4CE-4145-8586-754D4FBCD1A6.jpeg

Harvey-Brunswick is correct. Not Bunbury. But the other part about Hughes being drafted from WAFL club Swan Districts is correct. He played WAFL with Swans at the time of drafting and then after being selected by Freo was moved like everyone across to Peel.
View attachment 1620076
He prob went to a school in Bunbury or played at some stage with a junior club in Bunbury.

I do remember at times we played 13-14 Peel players so don’t doubt in anyway what is being said. Just pointing out he was recruited from Swans not Peel.

He prob went to a school in Bunbury or played at some stage with a junior club in Bunbury.

I do remember at times we played 13-14 Peel players so don’t doubt in anyway what is being said. Just pointing out he was recruited from Swans not Peel.

He played reserves for Peel at the start of 2014, then played reserves for Swans for most of the rest of that season and 2 games for them in the seniors.

Web capture_3-3-2023_14453_wafl.com.au.jpeg

The other players from that same South West Team Harvey Brunswick Leschenault Lions that were drafted to the AFL are Anthony Morabito and Brady Hough. The current Peel player Ty Anderson is another from the same club.

He also had an older brother Logan Hughes that played some games for Swan Districts.

Last edited:

Can anyone provide the information from this article:
Fremantle winger Nathan O’Driscoll got through his return from a foot injury in Peel Thunder’s intraclub match in Mandurah on Thursday as he pushes for an opening-round spot.
O’Driscoll had been dealing with a hot spot in his foot which saw him miss both of the Dockers’ pre-season clashes against Adelaide and Port Adelaide.
He was one of 13 Fremantle players involved, all playing in the same team which prevailed by a goal in a closely-fought contest.
It will create an interesting selection dilemma for round one against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on March 19 with Liam Henry, Ethan Hughes and mainstay James Aish all making the most of their wing opportunities in Freo’s pre-season victory over Port Adelaide on Thursday.
“He did a couple of good things and kicked a nice goal,” Peel coach Geoff Valentine said of O’Driscoll.
“I’m not sure how many minutes he was on but I don’t think it was massively compromised so he would be available for round one I would think on what I saw.
“He got through no dramas.”
Of the other Fremantle players, young key forwards Jye Amiss and Sebit Kuek booted two goals apiece, Neil Erasmus stood out in the midfield with his work rate, Karl Worner did some good things across half-back and draftee Max Knobel showed some promising signs in the ruck.
“The ruck performances last night were a real highlight,” Valentine said.
“We had Max Knobel who did a couple of nice things, with Mitch Edwards and Roy Benning in there as well.”
Valentine was pleased with the increased depth of his WAFL-listed squad with Cameron Gavin and Brody Wemm showing plenty since coming across from South Mandurah and fellow recruit Matthew Payne, from NAB League side Western Jets, showcasing his blistering pace.
He also liked the look of highly-rated draft prospects Mitch Edwards, Clay Hall and Reece Torrent who are pushing for early senior games, despite still being eligible for colts.
Edwards, a 205cm ruck who’s part of Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy, is expected to get picked up in the first round of the draft.
Son of a gun Hall, who’s father Derek player for Geelong and West Coast, and utility Torrent also played in the Thunder’s colts premiership last season as bottom-agers.
“Some of the young kids showed they’re right at the level,” Valentine said.
“Mitch Edwards, Clay Hall and Reece Torrent are going to continue to push for league selection so that will be some interesting debate over the next few weeks.”
After an interrupted pre-season battling knee and toe issues, captain Ben Hancock took a significant step forward with a strong performance, while former Claremont player Jacob Blight was excellent down back.
The Thunder will have another intraclub match next Saturday in Mandurah as their preparations ramp up for round one against East Fremantle on Good Friday.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Hughes transferred from Peel Thunder to Swan Districts in the year he was drafted so perhaps that's why he was referred to as a Peel player ("previously listed at Peel") in the interview. Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault was his former team in the South West Football League.

I can't say how definitive this bloke, Scott Baker, is, but he's the Executive Manager of WAFL and Talent, and sits at the level under the WAFC CEO in the WAFC structure.
Nah I'm backing you in here, it makes sense and there have been murmurings of that rule before, just never had it confirmed

View attachment 1620076
My whole point is I don't think it matters where Hughes was drafted from whatsoever. He could've been drafted from Port Melbourne and it wouldn't matter.

He was from Peel's zone originally and that's all that matters. For that reason he's considered a local player developed with the boundaries of Peel's zone.

Well that's my understanding of the situation anyway.

My whole point is I don't think it matters where Hughes was drafted from whatsoever. He could've been drafted from Port Melbourne and it wouldn't matter.

He was from Peel's zone originally and that's all that matters. For that reason he's considered a local player developed with the boundaries of Peel's zone.

Well that's my understanding of the situation anyway.
If he was in Peels zone and moved straight to Swan Districts then I don't think so but the fact that he played for Peel first is the reason he counts as a "Peel" player IMO

If he was in Peels zone and moved straight to Swan Districts then I don't think so but the fact that he played for Peel first is the reason he counts as a "Peel" player IMO
I didn’t realise he played some Peel reserves games before transferring across to Swans. Either way we have solved the matter. Recruited from Swans but from Peel zone Harvey-Brunswick and started out with Peel.

Is there a Peel scratchie next week?

Opportunity for the players that missed out against Port to get some miles into their legs and press their case for round 1

Is there a Peel scratchie next week?

Opportunity for the players that missed out against Port to get some miles into their legs and press their case for round 1

I hope so. Would be hard to make the 22 without getting the same amount of game time

Yeh there is think it’s against south or east freo

Souths play their first official preseason match on the same weekend as AFL round 1, against East Perth. I had assumed all teams were the same but maybe Peel are starting their preseason early?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Souths play their first official preseason match on the same weekend as AFL round 1, against East Perth. I had assumed all teams were the same but maybe Peel are starting their preseason early?
Likely an unofficial scratchy. On the Peel website and Peel Facebook page:

Peel Season Launch: 9 March
WAFLW round 1: Sat 11 March
Men’s Pre-season Round 1: 18 March Peel vs Subiaco
Men’s Pre-season Round 2: 25 March West Perth vs Peel
Men’s Pre-Season Round 3: 1 April Bye (likely intraclub match sim on Fri 30/03)

Men’s WAFL season
Round 1: 7 April (Good Fri) Peel vs East Fremantle

There was late notice on Peel Facebook about their intraclub Thu evening just gone.

Perhaps a game against South Fremantle Fri or Sat? Then two official pre-season games against Subiaco and West Perth.

If you keep an eye on their Facebook page during the week it will no doubt release details for a scratchy or intraclub game this coming Fri/Sat.

Peel Intraclub this weekend and not a game against another WAFL side. This according to The West Australian today.

Seemed to be good possibility Freddy will line up. Doubtful for Luke Ryan and Son Son.

Is the Peel lads plus Freo players having an intra club match today?

I imagine they’re doing something. I just wandered into Freo Oval, looks like South’s WAFL having an intraclub. I’m so desperate for a football fix I’m staying for a look. Not a bad game so far, pretty willing & the willingness to play on at all costs is impressive.
Give It To Me Want GIF

foreverfreo freo GIF by Fremantle Dockers
Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

Pretty piss poor, and I include myself in this, that no one from the Freo Bigfooty community didn't get along to see our players.

It's a Peel intraclub likely in Mandurah that seemingly wasn't advertised to the open public (nothing on Insta like usual)

I wouldn't call it "piss poor"

Seriously we don't even know if it was open to the public, hell we don't even know for sure at which ground it took place...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back