2nds Peel Thunder 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Only saw Q2-4 - brief thoughts:
  • I thought Corbett and Kuek were pretty good today as marking targets, Corbett in particular took some good contested marks under pressure whilst Kuek was extremely mobile and had one great mark where he crashed through the pack. Kuek also went into the ruck but I thought he was pretty ineffectual there.
  • I also liked the game of Emmett and he continues to play with intensity and puts pressure on the opposition. Kicked the goal that I thought kickstarted their revival.
  • Despite the earlier criticism by others, I thought Henry along with Erasmus were the best midfielders for Freo-Peel out there. I saw one horror kick across defence from Henry but generally speaking he was disposal was probably top 5 for Peel (there were far worse offenders) and he setup a lot of the goals in Peel's comeback from 6 goals down. Erasmus' disposal was pretty clean too and I thought he would have kept his name in front of the selectors with that game.
  • Brodie on the other hand was awful and the long stints that he spent forward almost seemed like he got chucked there because he was a liability in the midfield with poor defensive efforts. He struggled for accuracy by foot in the forward half as well.
  • Hamling and Wilson put very solid performances down yet again; Wilson provided lots of run from defence as per usual whilst Hamling roped in some good marks.
  • A bit of criticism of Draper but he was stationed on Keitel for much of the game who is probably the best forward in competition right at the moment. He got caught out of position a few times and Keitel kicked a few goals but I also thought Draper did some good work up the field and when the ball came to ground.
  • Davies continues to grow as a tall lockdown defender; was unlucky with one free kick but I thought he was pretty mobile and strong in defence.
  • With Darcy going down I watch Reidy carefully; he was pretty good and it felt like he was halving the contest most times, but is he ready for AFL? I would say still a little way off.
  • Colyer ran hard and fast as he always does but he did get caught a few times and not sure he was really as effective as the last game.

• I thought Corbett and Kuek were pretty good today as marking targets, Corbett in particular took some good contested marks under pressure whilst Kuek was extremely mobile and had one great mark where he crashed through the pack. Kuek also went into the ruck but I thought he was pretty ineffectual there.
  • I also liked the game of Emmett and he continues to play with intensity and puts pressure on the opposition. Kicked the goal that I thought kickstarted their revival.
  • Despite the earlier criticism by others, I thought Henry along with Erasmus were the best midfielders for Freo-Peel out there. I saw one horror kick across defence from Henry but generally speaking he was disposal was probably top 5 for Peel (there were far worse offenders) and he setup a lot of the goals in Peel's comeback from 6 goals down. Erasmus' disposal was pretty clean too and I thought he would have kept his name in front of the selectors with that game.
  • Brodie on the other hand was awful and the long stints that he spent forward almost seemed like he got chucked there because he was a liability in the midfield with poor defensive efforts. He struggled for accuracy by foot in the forward half as well.
  • Hamling and Wilson put very solid performances down yet again; Wilson provided lots of run from defence as per usual whilst Hamling roped in some good marks.
  • A bit of criticism of Draper but he was stationed on Keitel for much of the game who is probably the best forward in competition right at the moment. He got caught out of position a few times and Keitel kicked a few goals but I also thought Draper did some good work up the field and when the ball came to ground.
  • Davies continues to grow as a tall lockdown defender; was unlucky with one free kick but I thought he was pretty mobile and strong in defence.
  • With Darcy going down I watch Reidy carefully; he was pretty good and it felt like he was halving the contest most times, but is he ready for AFL? I would say still a little way off.
  • Colyer ran hard and fast as he always does but he did get caught a few times and not sure he was really as effective as the last game.

Thanks for this - if a kid can go with an elite WAFL forward at this stage of his development he'll likely be tracking OK.

Almost every kick he had I noticed one of these things happened:

• Kick lacked penetration. He makes the ball look heavy
  • He tried to pick off a difficult kick and 8t backfired

Also physical effort not there. Kuek is skinny too but when he was in the ruck he went HARD which Henry could learn from
How did Liam go ?

From the AFL Website:

Corey Wagner was the highest disposal winner as Peel beat West Perth by nine points on Saturday.

Wagner had 33 disposals, including 24 kicks, to go with four marks and four tackles.

Neil Erasmus (28 disposals, five marks) was also busy and Will Brodie had a decent game with 27 touches and six marks.

Nathan Wilson had 23 disposals, Liam Henry had 22 and kicked two goals and Joel Hamling had 19 disposals and 10 marks.

Sebit Kuek kicked three goals for Peel, Travis Colyer had 10 disposals and Josh Corbett had nine, taking eight marks and kicking two majors.

I thought Henry was pretty good aside from a couple of errant switch kicks. They were too low and spearing type kicks that he was trying execute. The one in the backline he got involved in a chain of handball and then tried to spear it over opposition and hit up Trav Colyer but was way too low and easily picked off. He needed to loop that one over the top. There is a bit to work with I reckon from the bits I’ve seen of Jeremy Sharp at Gold Coast VFL I think we would be getting a downgrade.

Wagner very classy off half back and the sort of game he would have produced last season in the VFL. I honestly think his best bet for AFL jersey would be wing.

The game of Kuek was a real step forward. I doubt he is ready for AFL yet but he is developing nicely. I agree with your comments on Reidy.

Also Draper and Davies are developing along nicely but quite a way off AFL for mine. Hamling the back-up with Draper and Davies more ready in 2024 after anothe pre-season.

Players in line for promotion:
Midfielders: Erasmus, Brodie (not his best effort this afternoon)
Wing: Worner, Wagner, Henry
Key Forward: Corbett, Kuek (building along towards being an AFL option)
Half back: Wagner, Worner, Wilson
Mid forward: Sturt, Emmett
Key back: Hamling

Injured: Chapman (best 22), Walters (best 22), Tabs (just outside best 22 now).

Old and unlikely: Trav Colyer, (to some extent Hamling fits here as well but I feel if there is an injury to Cox/APearce, he will be replacement now we are in finals contention).

That is approx 15 outside the best 22.

Those developing who we won’t see:
Draper, Davies, Reidy (this could change as the season progresses), Williams, Benning, Knobel.

Def List changes for the end of 2023:
Colyer, Hamling, Benning

Possible list changes for end of 2023:
Wilson, (possibly delist and move to Rookie - Wagner/Sturt).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Henry was pretty good aside from a couple of errant switch kicks. They were too low and spearing type kicks that he was trying execute. The one in the backline he got involved in a chain of handball and then tried to spear it over opposition and hit up Trav Colyer but was way too low and easily picked off. He needed to loop that one over the top. There is a bit to work with I reckon from the bits I’ve seen of Jeremy Sharp at Gold Coast VFL I think we would be getting a downgrade.

Wagner very classy off half back and the sort of game he would have produced last season in the VFL. I honestly think his best bet for AFL jersey would be wing.

The game of Kuek was a real step forward. I doubt he is ready for AFL yet but he is developing nicely. I agree with your comments on Reidy.

Also Draper and Davies are developing along nicely but quite a way off AFL for mine. Hamling the back-up with Draper and Davies more ready in 2024 after anothe pre-season.

Players in line for promotion:
Midfielders: Erasmus, Brodie (not his best effort this afternoon)
Wing: Worner, Wagner, Henry
Key Forward: Corbett, Kuek (building along towards being an AFL option)
Half back: Wagner, Worner, Wilson
Mid forward: Sturt, Emmett
Key back: Hamling

Injured: Chapman (best 22), Walters (best 22), Tabs (just outside best 22 now).

Old and unlikely: Trav Colyer, (to some extent Hamling fits here as well but I feel if there is an injury to Cox/APearce, he will be replacement now we are in finals contention).

That is approx 15 outside the best 22.

Those developing who we won’t see:
Draper, Davies, Reidy (this could change as the season progresses), Williams, Benning, Knobel.

Def List changes for the end of 2023:
Colyer, Hamling, Benning

Possible list changes for end of 2023:
Wilson, (possibly delist and move to Rookie - Wagner/Sturt).
Great post always love your take on things

I'd play all three given Peel had the bye last week and Sturt only got half a game on Saturday.
It will come down to Sturt or Corbett I reckon. Alternatively Reidy if they want keep similar structure.

I would keep Sturt and bring in Walters (if fit). Ras the sub. He is ahead of Brodie.

Play all of them tbh.
The bye after this week for Peel, you’d want them to have match fitness to be available for Richmond.
Sturt, Johnson, Erasmus have to play.
Question is who is the Darcy replacement they have discussed? Because that player will most likely be held out this week in case of potential injury.
Reidy? Kuek? Or does Walters only come in as the replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back