News Pelchen grim on Hawks trade strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to be regurgitating this 'it's risky to be trading away all your draft picks' line.

What else are you supposed to do with picks? Frame them and gloat over the great pick you 'earned'? The purpose of picks is to use them to acquire players. Using them to acquire known quantities is *less* risky than using them in the draft. Maybe we take all those picks to the draft, get lucky, and end up with 3 or 4 guns, maybe we get 3 or 4 Dowler/Thorp types. This way we know that we got just exactly what we need.

So when I see the line about it being risky trotted out I just assume the person trotting simply hasn't given it any real thought and put zero weight on their opinion. Simple. And yes maybe it could be argued that Pelchen is some kind of expert and a pleb like me shouldn't disregard his opinion so lightly, but I'm willing to back GW and Clarko over Pelchen. They have far more runs on the board than he does and clearly they reckon we're on the right track.

We needed elite superstars to come through and for a while I couldn't see where we would be getting them from.

It started with Arthur in the 60s and then Hudson, then Matthews and Knights through the 70s, Dunstall, Brereton, Ayres and Dipper in the 80s, but only saw Crawf coming through in the 90s (thanks to the departures of Jarman and Allan). We started building up our quota of elite players again with Hodge and Mitchell, Franklin and then Rioli, but no one was really putting their hand up after that.

Suddenly, we have O'Meara and Burton who have the potential to show greatness. If they can put themselves at that elite level of our previous stars, then we have premierships coming. It's a risk with injured players but with no risk comes no reward. I think our trade strategy has been exactly what it needed to be.
Would have thought Rough should be on that list of elite players, burgers too.

Would have thought Rough should be on that list of elite players, burgers too.
I could have gone on and on, but didn't want to bore you. I'm surprised no one has had a go at my not mentioning Langers, Parko, Crimmins, etc, from yesteryear.

I could have gone on and on, but didn't want to bore you. I'm surprised no one has had a go at my not mentioning Langers, Parko, Crimmins, etc, from yesteryear.
Platten says hi also

Dammit, I meant to include Platts!!!!
Bucky pre knee went ok too.

Also there is a reason Mew is at CHB and tucky is on ball in the team of the century

Pelchen, don't comment about your very ex club or have you still an axe to grind. How about you
detail your own sudden and unexplained departure from us if you are to open your big mouth.

So Chris Pelchen thinks the Hawks could regret trading for O'Meara if his knee crumbles. Well bugger me, thats insightful.
And the Hawks need more talented youth... maybe they will also regret their sustained period of success as it did not bring in enough high trade picks.

Didn't Pelchen recruit both Dowler and Muston after serious injuries? Maybe that's his frame of reference.

It is a risky strategy, but we are drafting two players who are young enough to still get 10yrs out of. Yes, next year we probably need to get some other players in, but I'm hoping we are happy to take this punt as we are confidant our young players we have currently, i.e Lovell, Woodward, Stewart, Pittonet, Willsmore, O'Rourke etc are going to be good enough to offset this couple of year draft hiatus

I don't see the story here? I mean, he's right. Our depth is fairly weak compared to a lot of others. If O'meara's knee hinders him significantly and Vickery doesn't adopt well to his role then we're in trouble in the short term as our ability to cover them is limited.

In our current position we won't have access to the country's best youth for another couple of years so it's obviously important that our new recruits hold their own until we do.

By all accounts this draft is consistently strong through to the mid second round, next year less so. So the risk of trading in an injured potential superstar this year is magnified somewhat.

The person feeling more pressure than O'meara right now is probably the medico who signed off on him, presumably Michael Makdissi. From what I've read he's a world leader in his field, so if anyone can accurately price the risk then I suppose it's him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The saints are where its at now thanks to the direction i steered them in
(Assuming you are "the" Chris Pelchen) I don't remember a trade period before that caused me such concern and worry. Usually there's a trade surprise but mostly I just read the youngsters names from the draft and dream the dream for all of them. This year's trading was cliff-edge stuff. I really hope young Mitchell and O'Meara give long and exciting service to the Hawks. And I hope Vickery can be a replacement David Hale. As with any approach, if it comes off then it's genius, if not then brick-bats. We'll see in 5 years where this year's top 18 picks end up. Nothing's for certain which-ever way you go.

Guy has no idea. Says we should hit the draft. Didn't we do that last year with Burton, Lovell and Hardwick.

Exactly. It's blindingly obvious.

I always wonder how it is that Hawthorn are able to hide what they do in plain sight.

#head****ed

It really is a generation of instant gratification isnt it.
Try appreciating the buildup a bit more and you might enjoy. Your significant other half might value this approach too.

I suppose as a Saints fan that's all you've got to look forward to, the build-up.

upload_2016-10-22_17-13-36.jpeg

It really is a generation of instant gratification isnt it.
Try appreciating the buildup a bit more and you might enjoy. Your significant other half might value this approach too.

is Mitch Thorp your significant other half?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back