Religion Pell Guilty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm, you do understand that's exactly the position of "your side" right now?

Bolt et al.

No. The position of "our side" is that an unprecedented campaign was run by the police in consultation and cooperation with the media to ensure the conviction of a man who is innocent.

That is an indication of the system not working. Indeed, the system being sabotaged.

Ummm, you do understand that's exactly the position of "your side" right now?

Bolt et al.

Yes quite a few people are unwilling to accept the rule of law it's a shame really but you are here saying that appeal shouldn't be possible because "white power" in a nutshell. IIRC i was shocked at the decision based at the released evidence (still am) I do believe it will get overturned based on what I've seen and if it doesn't, then the wheels of justice have turned and put a sex offender behind bars.

No. The position of "our side" is that an unprecedented campaign was run by the police in consultation and cooperation with the media to ensure the conviction of a man who is innocent.

That is an indication of the system not working. Indeed, the system being sabotaged.

Maybe there should be a Royal Commission? So we can see who paid who?

Oh LOL, get your hand off it.

Were they running his lawyer as an informant? No.

Pell is just a common or garden variety child molestor.

Yeah righto, we're talking about the Victorian justice system, the one that knew police were running defendant's lawyer as an informant for years and not only did nothing about it, but fought tooth and nail to stop anything being done about it.

So we just assume it’s all corrupt and ignore the process of justice?

Yes quite a few people are unwilling to accept the rule of law it's a shame really but you are here saying that appeal shouldn't be possible because "white power" in a nutshell. IIRC i was shocked at the decision based at the released evidence (still am) I do believe it will get overturned based on what I've seen and if it doesn't, then the wheels of justice have turned and put a sex offender behind bars.

No, I was saying that is how it will be perceived, because our society is so riven by identity politics, which is just as powerful on the right and the left.

You and Bruce are proving my point in extremis.

No, I was saying that is how it will be perceived, because our society is so riven by identity politics, which is just as powerful on the right and the left.

You and Bruce are proving my point in extremis.

So what do you want? Do you want him not to appeal even if he's innocent? Or should you be protecting his right to appeal from the crazies on any side that want to erode our rights?

That is a very incomplete and inadequate summary of the lengthy, detailed and quite technical discussion which took place between Walker and all 3 judges as to the legal authorities and principles governing the C/A's role in appeals against jury decisions.

It also falls into the trap which Ferguson was at pains to outline at the very beginning of the hearing, for the benefit of members of the public watching the stream of the proceedings; when the judges ask questions of counsel, it does not ever imply that they disagree with counsel, it merely means that they want to elucidate and clarify counsel's full argument on the particular point.

So what do you want? Do you want him not to appeal even if he's innocent? Or should you be protecting his right to appeal from the crazies on any side that want to erode our rights?

He has every right to appeal.

I'm saying that if a jury verdict is overturned by judges, a lot of people will see the SWAMP in action. They'll see an establishment fix.

It is this kind of stuff that animates your mate Trump's voters, and Brexit.

Pell guilty via jury verdict and innocent via appeal court judge verdict will only serve to further entrench the view as expressed earlier by JeanLuc.

It is a bad thing because it completely undermines the jury system.
Appeal courts should NEVER supplant the judgment of a jury for their own judgment.
The Vic CA in particular has over the years made this more and more common.

Not it will serve to ensure juries are also accountable and not influenced by other factors.

Pell deserves jail for his denials and handling of past paedos, an absolute disgrace. But people need to be protected if evidence against them is not sufficient and a jury (or judge) has either made a mistake or ‘swayed’ by other factors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a very incomplete and inadequate summary of the lengthy, detailed and quite technical discussion which took place between Walker and all 3 judges as to the legal authorities and principles governing the C/A's role in appeals against jury decisions.

It also falls into the trap which Ferguson was at pains to outline at the very beginning of the hearing, for the benefit of members of the public watching the stream of the proceedings; when the judges ask questions of counsel, it does not ever imply that they disagree with counsel, it merely means that they want to elucidate and clarify counsel's full argument on the particular point.

That's correct.

And it's also part of the problem.

Headlines, tweets, time poverty have all brought about a perception of knowledge in the absence of detail.

That's correct.

Headlines, tweets, time poverty have all brought about a perception of knowledge in the absence of detail.

Actually the problem is Catholic clergy raping children.

I think the opposite is true in this case.

You think the vast majority of punters view Pell as innocent? And are fervently hoping the Court of Appeal overyurns a jury verdict?

Delusional.

While I've got you here, any insights from Sharnelle Vella in the lift so far you can share?

That's correct.

A personal question for you. But shouldn’t you be paying attention to the goings on of your case today, rather than posting on Bigfoot’s from the court room? Today may determine whether you walk free and back to the Vatican or whether you remain a convicted peso?

A personal question for you. But shouldn’t you be paying attention to the goings on of your case today, rather than posting on Bigfoot’s from the court room? Today may determine whether you walk free and back to the Vatican or whether you remain a convicted peso?

Not really. You'll find convicted persons don't have access to BigFooty.

I'm watching online.

You think the vast majority of punters view Pell as innocent? And are fervently hoping the Court of Appeal overyurns a jury verdict?

Delusional.

While I've got you here, any insights from Sharnelle Vella in the lift so far you can share?

Actually yes I do. I think the vast majority are angry with Pell about the widespread handling of child sexual abuse in the Church but at the same time have misgivings about his own alleged offending. I think many of those don't much care if he gets thrown in gaol as they perceive it as some sort of balance.

You can bank that the C of A will do a Lindy and will find the verdict was unreasonable

Oh of course.

Unlike the "vanilla" raping of children committed by others.

It's only the Catholic clergy raping children that's the problem.

See, we can both be deliberately obtuse.
All child rape is a problem. Very few are international institutions preaching morality and taking in billions while protecting the pedos.

Oh of course.

Unlike the "vanilla" raping of children committed by others.

It's only the Catholic clergy raping children that's the problem.

See, we can both be deliberately obtuse.

You're not being obtuse, you're being a Jesuitical cretin, dancing on the head of a pin to justify your ongoing support for a convicted child molestor because of your emotional investment in a series of legends developed by a bizarre Jewish death cult during the mid period of the Roman Empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back